Points System To Determine Who Clinches NFC South (2 Viewers)

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
I thought that this would be interesting. Let’s assume the following value for victories:
Non Conference………:………….1 pt
Conference……………:………….1.1 pts
Division ………….......:………….1.2 pts

This year, the NFC South will: play 4 non-conference games (4 points), 6 conference games (6.6 pts) and 6 division games (7.2 pts) for a possible total of 17.8 points, that being a perfect regular season.

I base the points to clinch on the Saints best possible outcome and the next closest divisional opponent's best possible outcome.

Edit as of 12/08/09

Team…………………………..Points…..........Pts Remaining..............…Best Possible……Points to Clinch
New Orleans Saints……...…....13.1..………………...4.7…………….…....17.8…. ………… …….0.00
Atlanta Falcons …...….........….6.7………………….4.4…………….....…11.1 ………… ……….n/a
Carolina Panthers……......…….5.8………………….4.4……………….....10.2… …………..……n/a
Tampa Bay Buccaneers ….........1.1……………...…..4.5…………………...5.6……..… …………n/a

WELL, IT'S OFFICIAL. WE CLINCHED.

Last edited:
Meh, I think the combination of a 50 burger on Monday and a 40 burger with a side of Mercy later is more than enough to finish off the Falcons. To be honest, after we smash them next week, I think they may be in real danger of not making it above .500 maintaining a decades old tradition.

I think the points we hang on them directly are more than enough to decide it all.

I don't guarantee it outright, but with two losses now, I don't think it's insane to see them lose twice to us, to the Giants, Eagles and Jets. One more "expected" win falling by the wayside would put them at 8-8. Stranger things have happened to better teams.

Is this kinda like the "magic number"?

Yeah, kinda like that. Every year in sports you hear that term. Obviously we control our own fate and if we never lose then it doesn't matter what other teams do.

But with this, we can sorta see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Pretty much, if we win on Monday we should be expected with 90% confidence to win the next 3. One more stumble by Atlanta after us (or counting on us completing the sweep) and for all intents and purposes the Monday Night Football game against the Patriots will seal the division.

When we beat Atlanta on Monday Night Football that will put us at:
Team…………………………..Points…..........Pts Remaining..............…Best Possible……Points to Clinch
New Orleans Saints……...……7.5…………………..10.3…………….……17.8………………….7.1
Atlanta Falcons …...…........….4.4……..…………….10.1…………….....…14.5…………………..n/a

Which means that basically any combo of Saints winning and Falcons losing that adds up to 7.1 points and we will beat them out.

The Falcons CAN NOT afford to lose the Monday Night Game against us with the majority of tomato cans we have left.

They really have their backs agains the wall being two games behind us. They gonna throw everything at us Monday Night. If we win its over for them.

They really have their backs agains the wall being two games behind us. They gonna throw everything at us Monday Night. If we win its over for them.

They can still get a wildcard (a 5 or 6 seed) even if they lose to the Saints twice (which, at this point, I believe is quite possible).

Cowboys or Giants, whichever one does not win the NFC East, will likely be one wildcard (Philly may have a say in this too). The other wildcard will come from either the NFC North, Minnesota or Green Bay, whichever one does not win the division; or the NFC South, probably Atlanta.

UPDATE

New Orleans Saints……...……7.5…………………..10.3…………….…....17.8….……………….7.1
Atlanta Falcons …...….........….4.4………………….10.1…………….....…14.5………… ………..n/a
Carolina Panthers……......…….3.4………………….10.0……………….....13.4… …………..……n/a
Tampa Bay Buccaneers ….........0.0……………...…..10.2………………….10.2……..… …………n/a

Any combination of Saints winning and the Falcons losing that adds up to 7.1 points, clinches the South.

UPDATE

New Orleans Saints……...…....8.7..………………...9.1…………….…....17.8….………… …….7.1
Atlanta Falcons …...….........….5.5………………….9.0…………….....…14.5………… ……….n/a
Carolina Panthers……......…….3.4………………….8.8……………….....12.2… …………..……n/a
Tampa Bay Buccaneers ….........1.1……………...…..9.1………………….10.2……..… …………n/a

Any combination of Saints winning and the Falcons losing that adds up to 6.8 points, clinches the South.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom