Police officer fired for not shooting man with unloaded gun (1 Viewer)

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
After responding to a report of a domestic incident on May 6 in Weirton, W.Va., then-Weirton police officer Stephen Mader found himself confronting an armed man.

Immediately, the training he had undergone as a Marine to look at “the whole person” in deciding if someone was a terrorist, as well as his situational police academy training, kicked in and he did not shoot.

“I saw then he had a gun, but it was not pointed at me,” Mr. Mader recalled, noting the silver handgun was in the man’s right hand, hanging at his side and pointed at the ground.

Mr. Mader, who was standing behind Mr. Williams’ car parked on the street, said he then “began to use my calm voice.”

“I told him, ‘Put down the gun,’ and he’s like, ‘Just shoot me.’ And I told him, ‘I’m not going to shoot you brother.’ Then he starts flicking his wrist to get me to react to it.

“I thought I was going to be able to talk to him and deescalate it. I knew it was a suicide-by-cop” situation.

[...]

Unfortunately, two more cops then showed up, and quickly shot Williams dead.

[...]

In a meeting with the chief and City Manager Travis Blosser, Mr. Mader said Chief Alexander told him: “We’re putting you on administrative leave and we’re going to do an investigation to see if you are going to be an officer here. You put two other officers in danger.”

Mr. Mader said that “right then I said to him: ‘Look, I didn’t shoot him because he said, ‘Just shoot me.’ ”

On June 7, a Weirton officer delivered him a notice of termination letter dated June 6, which said by not shooting Mr. Williams he “failed to eliminate a threat.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-with-an-unloaded-gun/?utm_term=.8c4d39583b72

Swampy Saint

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yessssss.

That's what I'm talking about.
Cops should never shoot anyone, for any reason, ever.
Even if you point a gun at him and tell him to shoot you.

The world is on it's way to being a better place for everyone now.

Devildog

Combobulated
Reaction score
Yessssss.

That's what I'm talking about.
Cops should never shoot anyone, for any reason, ever.
Even if you point a gun at him and tell him to shoot you.

The world is on it's way to being a better place for everyone now.
So, you're for execution style policing?

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Police Chief: You were confronted with an armed black man and you didn't shoot him? What's wrong with you son?

Officer: But he had a white baby. I was so confused!

Police Chief: I didn't say to shoot no babies. You're fired.

* Clearly I'm being flip and uncalled-for with this satire. This officer did exactly what I think we all wish for them to do. Use their brain and their training but be sensitive to other human beings. He did the right thing. It sucks that he gets treated like this.

LOONEY

gulf war vet
Reaction score
fortunately, two more cops then showed up, and quickly shot Williams dead.

there you go fixed the report for them .

kcirdor

Clackin
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This guy sounds too smart to be a cop.

Court OKs Barring High IQs for Cops - ABC News

In 2000 a court upheld a police depts right to discriminate against hiring people who scored too high on iq tests.
The smart ones are the ones that will figure out how to manipulate the system. Or the ones that will buck the system. Can't have either of those. Need em dumb and willing to comply.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Eeyore Another Police Shooting (Now in Utah) Everything Else Board 15