Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (4 Viewers)

There are some good cops, but this is what happens to them and it's forked up...

“This isn't right,” Cavalier said. “You guys shouldn't be awarded a pat on the back for your silence.”

Cavalier decided not to remain silent.

Going against department policy, the trooper did an interview with WBRZ in Baton Rouge in June. For that, he said he received a warning letter. Then in July, he appeared on the New Orleans radio station WBOK.

In one portion of the hour-long radio segment, host Sally-Ann Roberts asked him, “Is there something in the atmosphere of the State Police Department that needs to be corrected?”

“Yeah, there's a toxic brotherhood,” Cavalier answers “I don't know if I should call it a brotherhood, but it's a toxic brotherhood bleeding blue.”

On Aug. 2, shortly after his radio appearance, Cavalier was placed on paid administrative leave. This disciplinary letter he received outlines that the trooper is being investigated for potential violations of loyalty, making public statements and not following orders.

Cavalier is now concerned that his role as a whistle-blower will cost him his career.

There are some good cops, but this is what happens to them and it's forked up...

Good evidence the problems with policing is deeper than good/bad cops. It's an institution that places a greater value on protecting their own than protecting the public. Good cops are expendable in that sort of environment.

Well, it's a mostly thankless job making peanuts. I mean, I can't see myself working for an institution that often rewards bad behavior in a lot of ways.
Wait…weren’t you a priest?

ok, I know you weren’t a priest per se, but the joke worked a bit better that way

DENVER (AP) — Three suburban Denver police officers and two paramedics were indicted on manslaughter and other charges in the death of Elijah McClain, a Black man who was put in a chokehold and injected with a powerful sedative two years ago, Colorado’s attorney general said Wednesday.

The 23-year-old’s death gained widespread attention during last year’s protests against racial injustice and police brutality following the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

McClain’s pleading words captured on police body camera video — “I’m just different” — were posted on signs at protests and spoken by celebrities who joined those calling for the prosecution of the officers who stopped McClain as he walked down the street in the city of Aurora after a 911 caller reported that he looked suspicious……

It’s very rare for officers to face criminal charges in on-duty deaths, and it’s almost unheard of for paramedics to be charged, said Alex Piquero, a criminologist at the University of Miami.

“It’s a pretty big deal,” he said. The fact that a grand jury saw the evidence and decided what charges to file is an indication of a strong case, Piquero said……

DENVER (AP) — Three suburban Denver police officers and two paramedics were indicted on manslaughter and other charges in the death of Elijah McClain, a Black man who was put in a chokehold and injected with a powerful sedative two years ago, Colorado’s attorney general said Wednesday.

The 23-year-old’s death gained widespread attention during last year’s protests against racial injustice and police brutality following the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

McClain’s pleading words captured on police body camera video — “I’m just different” — were posted on signs at protests and spoken by celebrities who joined those calling for the prosecution of the officers who stopped McClain as he walked down the street in the city of Aurora after a 911 caller reported that he looked suspicious……

It’s very rare for officers to face criminal charges in on-duty deaths, and it’s almost unheard of for paramedics to be charged, said Alex Piquero, a criminologist at the University of Miami.

“It’s a pretty big deal,” he said. The fact that a grand jury saw the evidence and decided what charges to file is an indication of a strong case, Piquero said……

What pisses me off is, of course, the local DA never sees anything wrong.

MONROE, La. (AP) — The most violent videos languished for years, lost or ignored in a digital vault. Louisiana State Police troopers and top brass alike would often look the other way, even as officers took to official messaging channels to banter about their brutality.

In one video, white troopers can be seen slamming a Black man against a police cruiser after finding marijuana in his car, throwing him to the ground and repeatedly punching him — all while he is handcuffed.

In another, a white trooper pummels a Black man at a traffic stop 18 times with a flashlight, leaving him with a broken jaw, broken ribs and a gash to his head. That footage was mislabeled and it took 536 days and a lawsuit for police to look into it.

And yet another video shows a white trooper coldcocking a Hispanic drug trafficking suspect as he stood calmly by a highway, an unprovoked attack never mentioned in any report and only investigated when the footage was discovered by an outraged federal judge.

As the Louisiana State Police reel from the fallout of the deadly 2019 arrest of Ronald Greene — a case blown open this year by long-withheld video of troopers stunning, punching and dragging the Black motorist — an Associated Press investigation has revealed it is part of a pattern of violence kept shrouded in secrecy.

An AP review of internal investigative records and newly obtained videos identified at least a dozen cases over the past decade in which Louisiana State Police troopers or their bosses ignored or concealed evidence of beatings, deflected blame and impeded efforts to root out misconduct…….

When authorities executing a search warrant descended into the basement of Brian Downey’s home last week, they discovered more than a dozen firearms displayed on a black wall, federal agents said.

As officers continued searching the home of the deputy mayor of Airmont, N.Y. — a village about 35 miles north of New York City — they found a sawed-off shotgun in a closet and an illegally modified short-barrel rifle, according to a criminal complaint. 

At some point during the search, court records state, authorities’ attention centered on the contents of a small locked box. Downey, 47, said he did not have the combination code, according to a criminal complaint, so officers forced the box open.

Inside, they found more than 10 fake federal badges and credentials, some bearing Downey’s name and photo, court records state…….

My dept is over 150 short. Out of 468 possible. But we have been short 100 for years. Most leave here for better pay and management. Moral is low hear but not for defunding police. Our command staff retired over the past 4 year and the new staff is horrible. Population is around 200 k and we have had 50 murders this year. I think we hit 51 last night. I'm on vacation so not certain. We had 6 people shot last night. The gang problem Is out of control and nothing is being done. Our average for time in service is less that 3 years. I've been here 22 years.

My dept is over 150 short. Out of 468 possible. But we have been short 100 for years. Most leave here for better pay and management. Moral is low hear but not for defunding police. Our command staff retired over the past 4 year and the new staff is horrible. Population is around 200 k and we have had 50 murders this year. I think we hit 51 last night. I'm on vacation so not certain. We had 6 people shot last night. The gang problem Is out of control and nothing is being done. Our average for time in service is less that 3 years. I've been here 22 years.
Brah, horrible management can absolutely wreck a department. I had a management integrity problem with my old department.

Brah, horrible management can absolutely wreck a department. I had a management integrity problem with my old department.
I know you guys are/were LEOs. And I realize it can be a thankless or worse profession all too often. So I just want to say I appreciate what you guys have done and willingly do. We need more good ones like you for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom