Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (8 Viewers)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Anjanette Young was getting ready for bed after a long day at her job as a social worker when police used a battering ram to smash the front door of her Chicago apartment.

She was naked, alone and terrified in February 2019 when police drew their guns at her and rushed into her home, yelling, “Hands up,” as they announced they were executing a search warrant for a man with a firearm.

Young, sobbing and screaming, pleaded with police dozens of times, “You’ve got the wrong house!” But the group of male officers handcuffed her for 40 minutes, including 10 minutes when she was not allowed to put clothes on, until they determined they were not at the right apartment and she did not commit a crime, according to recently filed government records.

“Oh, my God. This cannot be right!” she said, according to body-cam footage. “How can this be legal?”
Nearly three years later, the city’s Civilian Office of Police Accountability is calling for eight Chicago officers to be fired or suspended for their role in the botched home raid.

A new report issued Wednesday raises nearly 100 allegations of misconduct against 15 officers involved in the raid.
The report found that officers did not adhere to the “knock-and-announce guidance” that should have allowed Young to put on clothes before police entered her home — one of the many policies and laws violated during the botched raid.

Several did not activate their body cameras. None of the officers at the scene received more than a few hours of warrant-related training as a consequence, according to the report…….

"nearly three years later"
one of the many, many things wrong here

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not police but definitely related
===============
WASHINGTON (AP) — More than 100 federal prison workers have been arrested, convicted or sentenced for crimes since the start of 2019, including a warden indicted for sexual abuse, an associate warden charged with murder, guards taking cash to smuggle drugs and weapons, and supervisors stealing property such as tires and tractors.

An Associated Press investigation has found that the federal Bureau of Prisons, with an annual budget of nearly $8 billion, is a hotbed of abuse, graft and corruption, and has turned a blind eye to employees accused of misconduct. In some cases, the agency has failed to suspend officers who themselves had been arrested for crimes……

bigdaddysaints

BigDaddy Has Arrived
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
How was there no criminal charges against him? Unless the kid didn't want to press charges, i don't understand.. But i guess the reason really goes without saying.

Police Officer Fired After Video Shows Him Pulling Gun on Black Teen Delivering Newspapers​

He was fired, but will probably be on the PD on the next town over in no time....

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
(CNN)When Philadelphia's mayor signs landmark legislation as soon as this week, the city will become the first major US city to ban police from stopping drivers for low-level traffic violations -- stops that studies show target Black drivers at disproportionately higher rates.

The Driving Equality Bill, passed 14-2 by the city council on October 14, categorizes certain motor vehicle code violations as "primary violations," which allow officers to pull people over in the name of public safety, and "secondary violations" that don't meet the criteria for a lawful traffic stop, according to the office of Councilmember Isaiah Thomas, who authored the bill.

The bill will take effect 120 days after Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney signs it into law, which his office said he intends to do…….

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
When Antonio May, 32, arrived at the Fulton County Jail in Atlanta in September 2018, guards there allegedly shouted that it was “Taser Tuesday.”

Earlier that day, May was arrested for throwing rocks at a building and was placed in a general holding cell at the jail, despite him testing positive for amphetamines and being deemed suicidal by a medical technician, according to a lawsuit his family later filed.

In the cell, May took off his clothes and exposed himself. In response, six deputies went into May’s cell, with one using a Taser on him without warning, according to the lawsuit.

A confrontation ensued, after which all six deputies Tasered, beat and pepper-sprayed him, according to the lawsuit. Then, the deputies allegedly placed May in a restraining chair, covered his head in a “spit mask” — a mask used to protect police from bodily fluids — and tried to wash the pepper spray off him by placing a water hose to his face.

Minutes later, May was dead, “laying in a pool of his own blood,” his family’s lawsuit states.

Now, more than three years later, a grand jury has indicted those six deputies on five charges, including felony murder, aggravated assault, battery and violation of oath of office by a public officer.

The officers named in the indictment are Arron Cook, Guito DeLa Cruz, Omar Jackson, Jason Roache, Kenesia Strowder and William Whitaker…….

Sailorsaint

Reaction score
(CNN)When Philadelphia's mayor signs landmark legislation as soon as this week, the city will become the first major US city to ban police from stopping drivers for low-level traffic violations -- stops that studies show target Black drivers at disproportionately higher rates.

The Driving Equality Bill, passed 14-2 by the city council on October 14, categorizes certain motor vehicle code violations as "primary violations," which allow officers to pull people over in the name of public safety, and "secondary violations" that don't meet the criteria for a lawful traffic stop, according to the office of Councilmember Isaiah Thomas, who authored the bill.

The bill will take effect 120 days after Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney signs it into law, which his office said he intends to do…….

It's a good idea on the whole, but I don't agree with some of it. Why is "no brake lights" not a safety issue warranting a stop and ticket? Are tail lights simply informational or essential? And I'm on the fence about the "smell of marijuana" thing. First, I think marijuana should be legal, as long as you aren't smoking while driving. It should be treated the same as alcohol, i.e. open container/smoldering joint in ash tray. If you see smoke in the vehicle and smell marijuana, you should be able to test them just like a sobriety test.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's a good idea on the whole, but I don't agree with some of it. Why is "no brake lights" not a safety issue warranting a stop and ticket? Are tail lights simply informational or essential? And I'm on the fence about the "smell of marijuana" thing. First, I think marijuana should be legal, as long as you aren't smoking while driving. It should be treated the same as alcohol, i.e. open container/smoldering joint in ash tray. If you see smoke in the vehicle and smell marijuana, you should be able to test them just like a sobriety test.
both are fishing expeditions - there's no 'burden of proof' on the police - especially since both are easy ways to gin up quota totals which many departments still have

Sailorsaint

Reaction score
both are fishing expeditions - there's no 'burden of proof' on the police - especially since both are easy ways to gin up quota totals which many departments still have
I understand that, and think quotas should be erradicated, but I still think the safety of the public needs to be taken into consideration. Did you know that Troopers can pull you over if they think your tire pressure is too low? Do you know how many times I've seen people brought in because the intial stop of "no license plate light" was used and they found more? There are a lot of little, non-safety items that can be taken off the "pull them over" list. As much as I would like there to be fewer stops, there has to be a line where public safety is/is not compromised.

Sailorsaint

Reaction score
I also want to share a little trick the deputies in a certain county in MS use as an excuse to pull you over....they will haul arse right up to your bumper, then back off a bit and wait for you to get so nervous that your tires touch the white line, then pull you over. I'm sure they aren't the only ones that do this.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I also want to share a little trick the deputies in a certain county in MS use as an excuse to pull you over....they will haul arse right up to your bumper, then back off a bit and wait for you to get so nervous that your tires touch the white line, then pull you over. I'm sure they aren't the only ones that do this.

At that point, why wait until the tires touch? Just pull the guy over and say they touched. I mean, you're already a d-bag, just own it.

bigdaddysaints

BigDaddy Has Arrived
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
We all know the "tail light is out" farce is what they usually use for unlawful stops. I put it in quotes becuase that is usually not the real reason they are pulling someone over, and usually its not really out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

• SWJJ

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom