Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (8 Viewers)

As I was listening to Lopinto's presser yesterday, I couldn't help to think that he was truly torn up over having to fire these deputies over them doing their job. Now we all should be able to see the true reason for JPSO's resistance to mandating body cameras. There's 100% chance that they wouldn't have been fired and arrested if there was no video evidence of their deeds.
Their was no resistance. It was a matter of getting the money/funding together and getting the infrastructure in place. Know the facts. But the JPSO for decades my man, has prosecuted more of their own, then any other department in the state of Louisiana. Do some homework.

Woman mistakenly jailed for 2 weeks sues city of LA, LAPD, LAX police​

Honestly, is it THAT hard to verify someone's identity? Cmon.. A slew of them should be fired for just being idiots and terrible at the BASICS of being police officers...
arber, of Los Angeles, was placed in handcuffs and told that she could not board her flight because there was a warrant for her arrest out of Texas, she alleges.

The woman says she informed TSA officers that she had never been to Texas, was not wanted for any crime there, and repeatedly asked to have her identity checked. Eventually, LAPD and/or LA Airport Police officers put her under arrest “without confirming her identity or checking her driver’s license,” the suit alleges.

An LAPD spokesperson said the agency does not comment on pending litigation.

Farber and the wanted woman — also named Bethany Farber — “had nothing in common besides their name. (The plaintiff) is a young woman with long, blonde hair, while the other woman is older with short brown hair,” according to the complaint.

All other trials and end results of same, have ZERO to do with ALL subsequent trials and their end results. Deal with it and know the law.
You, sir, have obviously never heard of precedent. But continue living in your Jim Crow world. Your ignorant posting history has lead me to this conclusion.

Their was no resistance. It was a matter of getting the money/funding together and getting the infrastructure in place. Know the facts. But the JPSO for decades my man, has prosecuted more of their own, then any other department in the state of Louisiana. Do some homework.

That'll certainly reduce crimes committed by cops.
Will it though?

how many incidents posted here were filmed and the cops knew they were filmed or knew they had body cams

Chauvin didn’t care at all about being filmed

A lot of times they use that 'used resonable force according to company policy'.
Cams help a little, but as long as they let them keep usimg 'according to company policy' as a blanket excuse, not much will change.

only if there are consequences
Clearly. The body cams are only as good as the accountability that goes along with it.

That said, I do think cops would instinctively act differently if they knew their actions will always be recorded. And I would think cops would want the cameras because it protects them as much as the public. But it's hard to say because many are well coddled by their respective police unions and such. So there's not enough incentive for them to wholesale adopt cameras. I think if qualified immunity were removed, they might be much more inclined to rely on cameras. Just a thought.

Will it though?

how many incidents posted here were filmed and the cops knew they were filmed or knew they had body cams

Chauvin didn’t care at all about being filmed
I think it will. I'm convinced the numbers would be a lot higher if there were no cameras. And there would be no justice for Floyd. Since Chauvin was tried and convicted, cops are going to realize there are consequences if they break the law when interacting with the public. There was another cop who was recently convicted and sentenced to 2 years in prison. I do think cops are seeing this and over time that will influence their behavior.

I think it will. I'm convinced the numbers would be a lot higher if there were no cameras. And there would be no justice for Floyd. Since Chauvin was tried and convicted, cops are going to realize there are consequences if they break the law when interacting with the public. There was another cop who was recently convicted and sentenced to 2 years in prison. I do think cops are seeing this and over time that will influence their behavior.

I was about to post something similar....I'm hoping this is the case as well...

Advocates for juvenile justice are calling for changes to the way police and schools handle arrests after the lawyer and family of an Illinois teenager said he was coerced into giving a false confession that led to him spending two days in lockup and charged with attempted murder.

The attorney for Martell Williams, 15, said Waukegan police interrogated the teen for hours without his parents or a lawyer present and tried to bribe Williams with food from McDonald’s in exchange for a confession; Williams caved after police promised he could go home once he confessed.

Williams said during a Monday news conference that he didn’t know why his principal pulled him from class at Waukegan High School on Friday morning, or why the two police officers waiting for him in the office immediately announced that he was under arrest.

“When they came and got me from school, I was very confused by the situation,” Williams said. “I was scared. I just wanted to go home.”
Kevin O’Connor, an attorney representing Williams, said that when officers coerced the teen’s wrongful confession, they had not yet told him that he was suspected in a shooting.

“They tried to bribe him with McDonald’s and saying, ‘Look, just tell us you were there … and we’ll get you home in 10 minutes,’ ” O’Connor said.

Williams’s family knew he was not involved and soon found video evidence to prove as much: He was playing in a high school basketball game 20 miles away when the Feb. 4 shooting in Waukegan took place.

“If his sister hadn’t found this evidence, he would have been convicted,” O’Connor told The Washington Post on Wednesday, noting that Williams would not have had his first court date for at least a month…….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom