Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (5 Viewers)

This is referenced in the above article

Only one state has this???

Shouldn’t this be a nationwide law?

And for everyone and not just minors?
=======================

Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker (D) on Thursday signed the nation’s first law banning law enforcement from lying and deploying other deceptive practices when interrogating minors.

The ban, which goes into effect Jan. 1, prohibits tactics like falsely promising leniency and claiming that incriminating evidence exists when it does not.

It shows the state’s recognition of the “need to change laws that have failed the people they serve,” he said.

Using deceptive tactics during interrogations is generally permitted in the United States. But the practice often leads to false confessions, experts say.

Minors, who some studies show are two to three times as likely to give a false confession as adults, are particularly vulnerable……..

Again, people wonder why some have such a high distrust for police officers. "If you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about" is the biggest lie you can tell someone when it comes to dealing with Law Enforcement...

Advocates for juvenile justice are calling for changes to the way police and schools handle arrests after the lawyer and family of an Illinois teenager said he was coerced into giving a false confession that led to him spending two days in lockup and charged with attempted murder.

The attorney for Martell Williams, 15, said Waukegan police interrogated the teen for hours without his parents or a lawyer present and tried to bribe Williams with food from McDonald’s in exchange for a confession; Williams caved after police promised he could go home once he confessed.

Williams said during a Monday news conference that he didn’t know why his principal pulled him from class at Waukegan High School on Friday morning, or why the two police officers waiting for him in the office immediately announced that he was under arrest.

“When they came and got me from school, I was very confused by the situation,” Williams said. “I was scared. I just wanted to go home.”
Kevin O’Connor, an attorney representing Williams, said that when officers coerced the teen’s wrongful confession, they had not yet told him that he was suspected in a shooting.

“They tried to bribe him with McDonald’s and saying, ‘Look, just tell us you were there … and we’ll get you home in 10 minutes,’ ” O’Connor said.

Williams’s family knew he was not involved and soon found video evidence to prove as much: He was playing in a high school basketball game 20 miles away when the Feb. 4 shooting in Waukegan took place.

“If his sister hadn’t found this evidence, he would have been convicted,” O’Connor told The Washington Post on Wednesday, noting that Williams would not have had his first court date for at least a month…….

There is no way you can make yourself believe you’re a good person using these tactics
The only thing that makes sense is if you think the person in front of you is inferior and does not deserve human decency

Many years ago, I would never believe someone could make a false confession if they were innocent. But the more i looked into it, and read about the tactics and lies they use, i can totally understand how it happens now. Its a shame.

Many years ago, I would never believe someone could make a false confession if they were innocent. But the more i looked into it, and read about the tactics and lies they use, i can totally understand how it happens now. Its a shame.
I read an NPR article years ago. It was from a former police officer trainer. Her complaint was that the current training focuses not on upholding the constitution and citizen rights, but on how to skirt it.

So these may not be rogue officers so much as effectively trained officers indoctrinated into a bad system.

I thought the same thing

Why in the world would I admit to a triple homicide that I didn't commit?

Why would I believe if I did confess to killing those people they'd just let me go home?

I thought the same thing

Why in the world would I admit to a triple homicide that I didn't commit?

Why would I believe if I did confess to killing those people they'd just let me go home?
I think it's something that builds. No one who's innocent is going to admit they did a crime, but if the police or investigators are manipulative, they can probably convince someone they were at a certain place at a certain time, then they can use that as a pretext to corner and coax into a false confession.

especially teeneagers. You convince them they are gonna go to jail for a long time, but if they confess, they will just get a slap on the wrist. Most do not know better and get scared. Terrible tactics.
An Ex Coworker, who's wife was a Derrick Todd Lee victim, told me when they thought he did it, said the officers must have said 100 times they knew he was guilty so he may as well admit it. He said they even did the good cop bad cop thing on him. Told all his family, told all her family, all of his friends they knew he killed her because they found a diary that talked about them fighting all the time. When the DNA finally came back that wasn't his, they basically told him he deserved everything he got because they knew he was a wife beater. He was the first to find her dead, so her blood was on his hands and clothes.

I think it's something that builds. No one who's innocent is going to admit they did a crime, but if the police or investigators are manipulative, they can probably convince someone they were at a certain place at a certain time, then they can use that as a pretext to corner and coax into a false confession.
I wonder if its more akin to a Stockholm syndrome situation.

What is it with Minneapolis??

And the cop pulled his gun because he saw her gun permit??? Didn't see a gun, just her permit. And a having a legal gun license is reason enough to have a gun pulled on you?
=======================
ody camera footage of a Minneapolis Park Police officer pointing a gun at a woman during a traffic stop has been released, reported ABC 5 Investigates via KSTP. The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board has not responded yet to the incident or settlement following the incident.

In July of 2019, Jenice Hodge was pulled over for not wearing her seatbelt and holding her phone in hand. Per the body camera footage, Officer Calvin Pham escalated the situation within one minute, per KSTP.

From KSTP:

But sixty seconds after approaching Hodge’s car, Officer Pham suddenly pulled his gun out of his holster and ordered the 42-year-old woman out of the car.
“I didn’t even have my driver’s license out of the sleeve and I had a gun pointed at my head,” she said.
Hodge, who is Black, said she was scared and confused.
“Phone in one hand, wallet in the other,” Hodge pointed out, as she watched the video back in January. “Where’s the threat to pull your firearm out?”
With her hands through the sunroof, the video shows Hodge telling the officer repeatedly to “calm down,” as he ordered her out of the car.
After Hodge stepped out of her car, Pham grabbed her and shoved her into the ground with his bodyweight, per KSTP. Hodge was charged with obstruction and marijuana possession but after pleading guilty to driving with a suspended license, her charges were dropped.

The officer reportedly wrote in his incident report that he believed Hodge may have had a gun because he noticed a gun permit in her wallet, reported KSTP. However, he never noted if he saw a firearm.

Hodge filed a civil rights suit following the incident. The Parks Board approved a $100,000 settlement with Hodge in 2021 and Pham resigned from the department a month later, reported KSTP. The board has not responded to KSTP’s request for comment on the release of the body camera footage or the settlement............

Last edited:
Also want to point out that the incident with the Illinois teen happened after Illinois passed the law against using deceptive tactics on minors

Last edited:
What could possibly go wrong?
========================
Legislation introduced in the Tennessee state legislature this month is raising alarms from the state's police union and gun control advocates who say it could turn the streets into the "old West."

Two bills in the state assembly and state senate, HB 254 and SB 2523, would amend Tennessee law and designate "a person who has been issued an enhanced handgun carry permit" as a member of law enforcement.

"As introduced, expands the definition of 'law enforcement officer' to include a person who has been issued an enhanced handgun carry permit; provided, that the permit is not suspended, revoked, or expired, for purposes of authority to carry a firearm under certain circumstances," the summary for the bill reads on the Tennessee General Assembly website.

There are currently 686,348 active enhanced handgun carry permit holders in the state, according to the Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security, which issues the permits. A spokesperson for the department declined to comment about the proposed legislation…….

MINNEAPOLIS — Bodycam video obtained by KARE 11 raises new questions about how and when Minneapolis police use no-knock warrants.

The video shows MPD SWAT team members ramming and blasting through the front door of a home and smashing side windows in a pre-dawn, no-knock raid last year, months after Mayor Jacob Frey claimed he was banning those raids in all but the most serious cases.

So, what serious crime were they investigating?

A stolen puppy.

At 5:54 a.m. on March 17, 2021, bodycam video shows the Minneapolis SWAT team exit a van on Logan Avenue North in Minneapolis.

The heavily armed team makes their way across snowy yards to remain unobserved as they approach their target.

At the door of a house, they begin to yell, “Police – search warrant!” as they immediately use a battering ram in an attempt to smash open the door. The door is heavy and doesn’t immediately give.

Just six seconds into the raid, an officer with a breaching shotgun begins firing rounds through the door as another officer runs around the outside of the house loudly smashing windows.

Once inside the home, officers quickly zip tie a naked man and barely dressed woman who surrender without resistance.

"This is crazy,” sobs Princess Fort as she begs the officers, “Please, please don’t break nothing else. Please, just don’t break nothing else.”

Fort and her boyfriend, Marvin Johnson, are placed on the couch with blankets draped over them as officers search the home.

The couple repeatedly asks what is going on – and to be allowed to put on some underwear.

“I would have to say that we’ve been very cordial,” a SWAT officer tells them. “There’s a search warrant going on, ok?”

“To get us here something big is going on,” he explains.......

MINNEAPOLIS — Bodycam video obtained by KARE 11 raises new questions about how and when Minneapolis police use no-knock warrants.

The video shows MPD SWAT team members ramming and blasting through the front door of a home and smashing side windows in a pre-dawn, no-knock raid last year, months after Mayor Jacob Frey claimed he was banning those raids in all but the most serious cases.

So, what serious crime were they investigating?

A stolen puppy.

At 5:54 a.m. on March 17, 2021, bodycam video shows the Minneapolis SWAT team exit a van on Logan Avenue North in Minneapolis.

The heavily armed team makes their way across snowy yards to remain unobserved as they approach their target.

At the door of a house, they begin to yell, “Police – search warrant!” as they immediately use a battering ram in an attempt to smash open the door. The door is heavy and doesn’t immediately give.

Just six seconds into the raid, an officer with a breaching shotgun begins firing rounds through the door as another officer runs around the outside of the house loudly smashing windows.

Once inside the home, officers quickly zip tie a naked man and barely dressed woman who surrender without resistance.

"This is crazy,” sobs Princess Fort as she begs the officers, “Please, please don’t break nothing else. Please, just don’t break nothing else.”

Fort and her boyfriend, Marvin Johnson, are placed on the couch with blankets draped over them as officers search the home.

The couple repeatedly asks what is going on – and to be allowed to put on some underwear.

“I would have to say that we’ve been very cordial,” a SWAT officer tells them. “There’s a search warrant going on, ok?”

“To get us here something big is going on,” he explains.......

Good to know the puppy is safe!!! Thank God!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom