Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (3 Viewers)

I had a dog stolen from me years ago, and when i went to the police, they told me they couldn't do anything other than write her a summons for court. Of course she never showed up and they kept postponing it. After the third time, I broke in her house and stole the dog back, then when the next court date, she showed up thinking she was gonna "show me" i wasn't gonna get away with breaking into her house and taking the dog, She told me that in the parking lot. Since i had my dog back, and didn't feel like siting through hours of other cases, I went to the DA and told him i wanted to drop the case. He said ok, and said i could leave that he took it off the docket. When i was walking towards the exit, i told her bye, and she was P'Oed. She went over to the DA and asked him what was up and he said i dropped the charges and she could go. She was super mad. Man, how come i couldn't get a no knock warrant? The PD didn't even care that she took my dog, that i even had wittnesses that saw her do it..

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Three former Florida prison guards were given sentences ranging from two to three years of incarceration for assaulting an inmate who was handcuffed, had been pepper sprayed and showed no signs of resistance, federal authorities said Tuesday.

The three on-duty correctional officers at the Hamilton Correctional Institution Annex in Jasper, Florida, last summer had pleaded guilty to violating the civil rights of the unnamed inmate.

During a hearing in federal court in Jacksonville, Coty Wiltgen was sentenced to 37 months in a federal prison. Ethan Burkett was given a sentence of 31 months and William Shackelford was given a sentence of 25 months in prison.

According to prosecutors, the guards took the inmate to an outside area of the prison, away from cameras, after he had pushed Burkett while he was chasing another inmate in March 2020.

Wiltgen kicked the inmate 15 times in the face to the point that the inmate lost consciousness and called him a racial slur, while Shackelford hit the inmate from the side while kneeing him in the back, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office……

Insider has learned that police knew a 3-month-old baby was in the front seat of a car when they opened fire on the vehicle during a confrontation with the boy's father last May.

Last month, Insider reported on the May 2021 death of La'Mello Parker, which at the time was under investigation by Biloxi Police. Just a day after Insider published our story on La'Mello's death, Biloxi Police announced that they had completed the investigation and turned the case over to the Harrison County District Attorney's Office, which will take the case to a grand jury. The DA's office did not return Insider's request for comment on whether the case had been presented to a grand jury yet on Tuesday.......

On Tuesday, the Jackson County Sheriff's Department in Mississippi responded to a records request from Insider, releasing a call log related to chase. It showed that officers knew a baby was in the front seat of the vehicle, though the log didn't specify whether the baby was in his father's arms, or in the front passenger seat.

A spokesperson for the sheriff's department did not immediately return Insider's request for more information on the baby's location in the vehicle, or explanation as to why police opened fire on the vehicle if they knew a baby was inside..........

A former Kansas City police officer convicted in the killing in 2019 of a Black man who was backing a pickup truck into his garage was sentenced Friday to six years in prison and will remain free on bond while his conviction is appealed.

Eric DeValkenaere, who's White, was sentenced to three years for the involuntary manslaughter of Cameron Lamb and six years for armed criminal actions, Valerie Hartman, a spokesperson for the 16th Judicial Circuit Court, told CNN.............

San Francisco police officer who beat a Black man so badly with his baton that he broke multiple bones was found not guilty Monday on three counts of assault.

Officer Terrance Stangel responded to a 911 call about an assault at Fisherman’s Wharf on Oct. 6, 2019, and found Dacari Spiers and his girlfriend, who matched the description but showed no sign of an altercation. Body cam footage shows a second officer, Cuahtemoc Martinez, order Spiers to face the wall, then grab him as his girlfriend shouted that he hadn’t done anything wrong.

While Martinez held Spiers, Stangel hit him with a metal baton at least seven times, including five while he was on the ground in the fetal position.

Spiers suffered a broken leg and wrist and was temporarily in a wheelchair.

Spiers was never charged after the incident. Last month, the city of San Francisco agreed to pay him $700,000 to settle a civil lawsuit.

Stangel was arrested in December 2020 and charged with battery with serious bodily injury, assault with a deadly weapon, assault with force likely to cause great bodily injury, and assault under color of authority.

Defense attorneys argued that Stangel was trying to protect his partner from a “violent” and “assaultive” man, while prosecutors claimed the officer disregarded his training to de-escalate situations.

After four days of deliberations, the jury acquitted Stangel on the first three charges and remained hung on the fourth.

“We respect the jury process, although we remain disappointed that police accountability remains so elusive and difficult to achieve,” District Attorney Chelsea Boudin said in a statement Monday...........

Shoot first, ask questions later isn't just in the movies.
he Philadelphia officer who shot and killed a 12-year-old boy as he fled from police this month will be fired for the use of "excessive force," the city's police commissioner announced Tuesday.
evidence suggests Siderio was the one who fired the bullet into the police car – a detail disputed by an attorney representing Siderio's father. Outlaw had previously said "a young child with a gun in their hand purposely fired a weapon at our officers," but Deputy Commissioner Ben Naish said at a news conference last week that he could not definitively say if it was Siderio who shot the gun.
Conor Corcoran, the attorney representing Siderio's father, told USA TODAY he was pleased that "the Philadelphia Police Department is beginning to accept responsibility for the murder of TJ Siderio." But he decried speculation over whether the boy had a gun, adding that no gunpowder residue was found on his hands.

Unlike cases that make headlines, such as the $27 million Minneapolis paid to the family of George Floyd or the $12 million paid to Breonna Taylor’s family, most claims of police misconduct are resolved quietly and with smaller sums.

Cities say payments to resolve misconduct allegations, ranging from excessive force to illegal search and seizure, are more cost-effective than fighting lawsuits in court.

These settlements rarely involve admissions of wrongdoing.

How much cities pay — and who the officers are — is generally hidden from the public, whose taxes often cover these costs.

To shed some light on the process, Washington Post reporters spent more than a year filing public records requests and combing through court documents to connect nearly 40,000 payments to specific officers.

Here’s what we discovered:

Payments for police misconduct are costly.​

In total, 25 of the largest police and sheriff’s departments spent more than $3.2 billion to resolve claims of police misconduct over the past 10 years. You can explore the data for each department here.

These claims often involve officers with multiple allegations.​

Nearly half of the total spent to resolve claims — $1.5 billion — involved officers with multiple allegations of misconduct.
There are more than 7,600 officers — from Portland, Ore., to Milwaukee to Baltimore — whose alleged misconduct has more than once led to payments to resolve lawsuits and claims of wrongdoing.

More than 1,200 officers in the departments investigated had been the subject of at least five payments. More than 200 had 10 or more.

The typical payout for cases involving officers with multiple claims — ranging from illegal search and seizure to use of excessive force — was $10,000 higher than those involving other officers………

Four Houston police officers who had been suspended following the fatal 2020 shooting of a man in "mental crisis" have been reinstated, the department's chief announced.

One sergeant and three officers were indefinitely suspended in September 2020 after they fired their weapons 21 times at Nicolas Chavez, who was injured and on the ground after moving quickly toward them with a piece of metal in his hand, body camera footage showed.

Chavez, 27, was experiencing a mental health crisis at the time, according to police and 911 calls released following the April 2020 shooting. The officers appealed the decision to suspend them.

At a Monday news conference, Police Chief Troy Finner said the city was unable to prove each officer violated the policies cited in their suspensions. Therefore, the independent hearing examiner ruled the officers must be reinstated.

Chavez's father, Joaquin Chavez, decried the decision to reinstate the officers at a Tuesday news conference.

"They killed a child, a man, a father, a son without any regard," he said. "And two years later, they get their jobs back. Where do we go from here? The only place we can go is to seek justice."

"I hurt every day," he added. "I lost a child that day."

While Finner said he was not "the final decision-maker" when the officers were suspended, he believes "there was evidence of policy violations."............

An off-duty police officer in Kenosha, Wisconsin, is under fire after a video went viral appearing to show him putting his knee on the neck of a 12-year-old girl at Lincoln Middle School on March 4, while trying to stop a fight that the girl was involved in.

A video of the incident taken by one of the students at the school was obtained by ABC News and shows the officer responding to a reported fight between two students.

The 12 year-old girl, whose name has not been revealed as she is a minor, appears to push the officer and then he pins her to the ground and appears to kneel on her neck, according to the video. It is unclear what happened before or after............

Mark Miles of the Maryland-National Capital Park Police is filing a lawsuit against officers who sent him racist and abusive messages, reported The Daily Record. The suit claims the officers spoke in a group chat about triggering a “race war” with mentions toward far-right extremist groups.

Miles joined the police division in April 2020, becoming the only Black officer on his shift, reported The Daily Record. The lawsuit said those involved were other officers on his shift and a supervisor who often made his race a subject of conversation.

From The Daily Record:

The complaint alleges that Miles’ supervisor in Shift 5, Sgt. Stephanie Harvey, told Miles that other officers in the squad were “worried they couldn’t trust” him because of his race. Harvey told Miles that she’d informed the other officers that he was “half white and half Black,” the complaint claims.
Miles’ race quickly became a factor in the text messages he received in the group chat, according to the complaint. As soon as he was added to the group, Harvey allegedly sent a photo of a Black child that said “Well hello motherf—er.” On another occasion, Harvey texted the group, “They want a race war…ok lets go. Miles ur on our side … at least half of u is!” according to the complaint.
Harvey didn’t stop there. According to the complaint she also proudly proclaimed herself as racist, misogynistic and homophobic. Then she went further to suggest it was “time to start killing Black Lives Matter protestors” to kick off a civil war. Another officer responded back, “Boogaloo is coming,” referring to a far-right extremist movement. Per the suit, Harvey was also alleged to be dismissive of racial bias training and claimed racism was “made up.”

Once Miles reported these messages to another supervisor, they retaliated instead of looking into the issue. Miles was removed from the group chat, excluded from work events and even when he called for back up at a high-risk stop, no one showed...........

Two Detroit police officers, one with a history of covering up improper actions, concealed their role in a fatal car crash on the city’s Northwest side two years ago that left four people badly injured and one dead. The cover up and obfuscation of that night were so complete that the family of the deceased person only learned of police involvement after they were contacted by reporters.

On Jan. 3, 2020, drunk driver Lonell Dixon collided with an SUV after running a red light during a police pursuit, killing his passenger, Miracle Jamerson, a block from her home. No one is denying Dixon is responsible for the crash and the resulting injuries and death, but the cover up of an improper police pursuit has many wondering if the chase that led to the death and injuries was justified. WXYZ has the story:

At 9:30 PM, the officers were headed west on 8 Mile near Telegraph when they saw a blue Saturn Aura heading in the opposite direction. From the police car’s dashcam video, it’s unclear why the Saturn got the officers’ attention, but the squad car does a U-turn and begins to follow.
A report written the next day claimed the car was speeding, but that’s not clear from the video and a sergeant later determined the officers “did not have probable cause” to stop the Saturn in the first place.
But they followed it anyway, according to the dashcam video, and instead of turning on their overhead lights and sirens, the officers turned on their spotlight. Police would later write that it was to illuminate the license plate, but the dashcam shows that before the spotlight was turned on, the license plate was already lit and visible.
Seconds later, the Saturn is seen taking off. It narrowly misses an oncoming vehicle, then almost hits a tree. But still, the officers don’t turn on their lights and sirens, as policy dictates, even though they’re now pursuing the Saturn and reaching speeds of 65 mph.

Why didn’t officers Xhesian Zaimi and Christopher Bush turn on their lights and sirens while speeding through residential streets in pursuit of what they claim was a “suspect?” Especially as they were driving what is known as a semi-marked car, meaning it wasn’t immediately obvious the vehicle was a police cruiser. To the driver, it very well may have seemed a random car was aggressively following them for no reason, a real fear in the city that coined the phrase Carjacking. The only reason for not blasting lights and sirens, WXZY could find when the station spoke to experts, was that the pair didn’t want the pursuit on dash cam. Little did they realize that the cam was already recording.

After the crash, Zaimi and Bush failed to alert their superiors that the crash was part of a police pursuit. It wasn’t until hours later when investigators looked at the dash cam footage that Zaimi and Bush believed didn’t exist before police figured out there was a chase. Then Zaimi and Bush also turned off their body cams, in direct violation of police policy, and didn’t tell anyone that they had a ride along in the car, Zaimi’s cousin..........

DECATUR, Ala. (AP) — An Alabama liquor store owner has sued after a police officer responding to a robbery call at his store punched him in the face and broke his jaw in March 2020.

The Decatur Daily reports that Kevin Penn sued the city of Decatur and police officer Justin Rippen on March 11 in federal court. Penn is Black and Rippen is white.

The suit alleges the incident is an example of systematic use of “excessive force” by the Decatur Police Department that the city often ignores.

The lawsuit alleges Penn’s constitutional rights were violated by illegal seizure, false arrest and excessive force, seeking money damages.

City Attorney Herman Marks said Thursday his department hasn’t yet received the lawsuit and declined comment. Decatur Mayor Tab Bowling said he regrets a lawsuit has been filed but referred questions to Marks.

The lawsuit alleges the city regularly receives complaints that officers “react with unjustifiable violence and false charges when a citizen speaks up or otherwise asserts his rights as an American citizen.”

The suit also accuses officers of “using common charges like obstructing governmental operation, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest” against local citizens.

“It is well known in the Decatur legal community that Decatur officers frequently use these charges, commonly referred to as POP (p--- off police) charges, without a legal basis,” the lawsuit states.

Penn had trapped a shoplifter with an electronic lock and the suspect was lying on the ground, with Penn holding him at gunpoint. Surveillance video shows Penn unloading his gun as police arrive. The video appears to show Penn setting the gun magazine down as the officers approach.

An officer walked past the suspect and told Penn to put down his weapon. Penn refused saying, “I have a right to have my gun," according to body camera video........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom