Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (3 Viewers)

I get that he could have drown also wearing all that gear to just jump in the water. But it just sounds like he made ZERO attempt to help. I hope i am wrong. If i had concerns about swimming out to save him, i think i would have at least attempted something. But i have no doubt that if this would have happened as an accident or if it was a child, he would have made more of an attempt to help, but it just comes accross as an 'oh well, you shouldn't have run' vibe.
one more. If you have children please teach them how to swim. It may save their life or another later.

one more. If you have children please teach them how to swim. It may save their life or another later.
Yeah, all my kids had swimming lessons at some point. I grew up around a pool and got to swim a lot. I have first hand experience with a family member drowning, and that I don't ever want to go through that again.

both my kids were taking swimming lessons very early. They were swimming like pros before they started school.
My daughter took so many swimming lessons (something to do over the summer) that she took the Red Cross certification when she was 12, even though she couldn't get the actual certification until she was 15. My son, we started him when he was 2 years old. They are probably better swimmers than i am.
Now, my cousin's husband is 55 years old and can't swim. Thats crazy to me..

After a legal odyssey of nearly five years, the Justice Department decided last week not to reopen the federal criminal civil rights investigation of two hotheaded U.S. Park Police officers who shot to death Bijan Ghaisar, an unarmed 25-year-old accountant.

By declining to prosecute them for a killing that stemmed from a fender bender in suburban Virginia, Attorney General Merrick Garland’s department has effectively shrugged at an apparently unjustified killing.

Ghaisar had been rear-ended, lightly, just across the Potomac River from D.C. in 2017.

The reasonable conclusion based on watching dash-cam video of the encounter is that he presented no threat to himself, the officers or the public.

It’s true that he drove off twice after the police pulled him over; it’s also true that the officers should not have mounted a chase, let alone drawn their guns, after such a minor incident.

Ghaisar deserved a fine, not a volley of bullets to the head.

The department’s decision ends any chance of criminal charges against the officers, Lucas Vinyard and Alejandro Amaya, who, incredibly, remain on the Park Police payroll.

The bar for prosecuting police who use lethal force in the line of duty has been set high for years, and for sound reasons — officers perform dangerous jobs and are often forced to make fateful decisions in a split second.

Mindful of that, prosecutors have been reluctant to bring charges in lethal-force cases, and juries have been reluctant to convict.

That high bar, and the recognition that police officers face genuine risks in the course of protecting themselves and others, cannot be tantamount to a license to kill.

Courts and prosecutors must scrutinize the events surrounding police-involved killings, or impunity will trump the presumption that lethal force must be a last resort……

A man who was arrested for stealing Greggs sausage rolls killed himself after being mistakenly described by police as a paedophile, an inquest has heard.

Brian Temple, 34, from Redcar killed himself on New Year’s Eve in 2017 almost seven months after the alleged theft of a packet of Greggs snacks, Teesside coroner’s court was told, according to TeessideLive.

When he was let out of custody, Temple’s release papers wrongly stated that he had been suspected of inciting sexual relations with a 13-year-old girl………

Last edited:
Continuing coverage on a story we first brought to you Tuesday. Riviera Beach Police are investigating one of their own after an incident at a Walgreens last month.

We spoke with a former police chief – who watched police body cam footage of the incident – to get his opinion of how it was handled.

"Like, man! Make sense! I ain't no dumb a-- n------ man! Make sense! Make sense!" Artie Edwards, 34, told a Walgreens employee in the body-cam video.

Edwards, a resident of Riviera Beach, was upset with an employee at Walgreens on May 3 and Rivera Beach Police responded to the store, telling him to leave the Walgreens.

"Go. Go," said Riviera Beach Police Officer Kyle Culver. At one point Officer Culver pushes Edwards.

"You better not put your hands on me! Don't touch me!" Edwards said.

"Go!" said Officer Culver.

"Artie! Artie!" said an unidentified female.

The video shows Officer Culver punching Edwards in the face. Then Edwards puts his hands in the air and Officer Culver pushes him to the floor...........

…..A new investigation by The Post reveals at least 178 cases from 2019 to 2021 in which calls for help resulted in law enforcement officers shooting and killing the very people they were called on to assist.

We used The Post’s nationwide database of fatal police shootings along with public reporting to identify cases in which the callers were concerned primarily for the individuals’ well-being and no imminent harm to others was reported.

Many of the calls alerted authorities to people in mental health crises, requested wellness checks or reported suicide threats.

The calls came from the distressed individuals themselves or were made by worried family members, friends or neighbors.

Police responses to calls for help are often routine, but, in the cases The Post identified, they turned deadly. Experts say that more needs to be done to protect those in crisis.

“If your family member is in pain, you should be able to pick up that phone and dial 911 and get help that is effective and safe,” said Christy Lopez, a policing expert at Georgetown Law School.

“We need to reject this idea that you can have a safe response or a law enforcement response,” she said. “We need to create a world in which you have a safe law enforcement response.”…….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom