Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (8 Viewers)

i found this video/channel pretty interesting...i was going to put it in the youtubes thread but i figured it was more appropriate here

dude is a former cop discussing the things that you typically don't hear about

Shades of Freddie Gray in Baltimore
=========================

Richard "Randy" Cox, who is Black, was put into a police van by New Haven Police Department officers on June 19. According to CBS News, he was arrested as a result of a weapons complaint, in which officers arrived on the scene of a block party and Cox, an ex-felon, possessed a firearm illegally.

In footage shared to Twitter by Cox's lawyer Ben Crump, Cox, who was handcuffed and not wearing a seatbelt, can be seen sliding forcefully into a side of the van, head first, after the vehicle seemingly comes to a sudden stop. The driver stops to check on Cox and calls an ambulance, then continues to the detention center.

Officers are seen telling Cox, "Move your leg. Sit up" as he tells them, "I can't move" and one officer responds, "You're not even trying." Officers eventually drag him out of the van feet first and put him in a wheelchair, after one officer tells him, "You just drank too much."

After processing him while in the wheelchair, two officers are shown dragging Cox into a holding cell. At one point, one officer is heard saying of Cox, "He's perfectly fine."

On June 23, New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker said in a letter that as a result of the incident, Cox "suffered serious injury to his neck and spine."

"Upon learning of Mr. Cox's injury, the officer made a call for medical assistance and proceeded to drive Mr. Cox to the detention center," Elicker continued. "Mr. Cox made his injury known to other officers upon arrival at the detention facility. The officers involved proceeded to put Mr. Cox in detention — first attempting to do so by wheelchair and then physically moving him to detention."

"From there, American Medical Response transported Mr. Cox to Yale New Haven Hospital where he underwent surgery. Sadly, Mr. Cox's injury may result in his paralysis and he remains in critical condition," he added.

Elicker also confirmed that all five officers involved in the incident — "the driver, three officers at the detention facility, and the detention facility supervisor" — have been placed on administrative leave, "until the Connecticut State Police completes their investigation and the City conducts its Internal Affairs investigation.".........

Richard "Randy" Cox, who is Black, was put into a police van by New Haven Police Department officers on June 19. According to CBS News, he was arrested as a result of a weapons complaint, in which officers arrived on the scene of a block party and Cox, an ex-felon, possessed a firearm illegally.

In footage shared to Twitter by Cox's lawyer Ben Crump, Cox, who was handcuffed and not wearing a seatbelt, can be seen sliding forcefully into a side of the van, head first, after the vehicle seemingly comes to a sudden stop. The driver stops to check on Cox and calls an ambulance, then continues to the detention center.

Officers are seen telling Cox, "Move your leg. Sit up" as he tells them, "I can't move" and one officer responds, "You're not even trying." Officers eventually drag him out of the van feet first and put him in a wheelchair, after one officer tells him, "You just drank too much."

After processing him while in the wheelchair, two officers are shown dragging Cox into a holding cell. At one point, one officer is heard saying of Cox, "He's perfectly fine."

On June 23, New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker said in a letter that as a result of the incident, Cox "suffered serious injury to his neck and spine."

"Upon learning of Mr. Cox's injury, the officer made a call for medical assistance and proceeded to drive Mr. Cox to the detention center," Elicker continued. "Mr. Cox made his injury known to other officers upon arrival at the detention facility. The officers involved proceeded to put Mr. Cox in detention — first attempting to do so by wheelchair and then physically moving him to detention."

"From there, American Medical Response transported Mr. Cox to Yale New Haven Hospital where he underwent surgery. Sadly, Mr. Cox's injury may result in his paralysis and he remains in critical condition," he added.

Elicker also confirmed that all five officers involved in the incident — "the driver, three officers at the detention facility, and the detention facility supervisor" — have been placed on administrative leave, "until the Connecticut State Police completes their investigation and the City conducts its Internal Affairs investigation.".........

I thought I was reading the Freddie Gray case. Chilling! Protect and serve? Oh sure.

Paid vacation in exchange for paralyzing a guy? Greatest country in the world!

I don't know if this is true or not but I've heard that suspects will be put in a van like that and the cops will intentionally make sharp turns, sudden braking etc. for what is called "Rock and Roll"

That video was hard to watch

And there are already some of the same comments of "if he wasn't breaking the law this wouldn't have happened"

We'll see how things end up

I suspect a big check from the city but cops stay on

I don't know if this is true or not but I've heard that suspects will be put in a van like that and the cops will intentionally make sharp turns, sudden braking etc. for what is called "Rock and Roll"

That video was hard to watch

And there are already some of the same comments of "if he wasn't breaking the law this wouldn't have happened"

We'll see how things end up

I suspect a big check from the city but cops stay on
Gonzales police 30 years ago used to brag about this. Although it wasn't in a van, but the back seat of the car. They would find the roughest dirt roads (not that uncommn here 30 years ago) and just have the person bounce around in the back seat like a pinball.

To add a little insight behind Kizzy's feelings towards the police and since "movies" are frowned upon by those that find anti-police sentiment abhorrent, here's the link to the book about Baltimore PD's finest work.
And if you believe this sort of behavior is isolated to BPD, then you are making a choice to ignore what has been happening here for decades.

Also, as a side note, a big shout out to NO's own Michael Harrison for attempting to right the ship in Baltimore. I truly hopes he succeeds there, but he has a mountain of sheet to climb.
This also happened in Los Angeles. It happened in New Orleans. If it happens in big cities, why wouldn't it occur in small towns where the corruption is far easier to 'manage.'

Look at the sheer incompetence in Uvalde.

Look at any police documentary from the 1960s.

Look at the stories in this thread. It's not just murders. They are committing every single crime under the sun.

Yet disliking the police is still met with incredulity.

There's this morbid worship and adoration that we're all expected to demonstrate. And when you don't comply, it's Butthurt Boulevard for miles.

It's like a flippin' cult or religion, with crusaders waiting to waggle fingers and admonish if you don't recognize the sovereignty of cops.

I bet the same people who get bent out of shape when Americans express disdain at our police force - would heartily cheer the citizens of Iran and N. Korea and Russia who express dismay at theirs.

Our cops are doing the same damn things!

As long as there are people with that much power and authority - they will abuse it mightily. It's literally a tale as old as time.

It doesn't matter that it's not ALL of them. It's enough of them.

Not ALL priests were abusing little boys or covering it up. But enough of them were participating to warrant it being called a scandal of "the Catholic Church."

Vice’s Dark Side of the 90s series just did an episode on the show Cops which was an interesting watch

the police gave final approval on what footage was aired

They talked about how later studies of the show showed there was a definite difference between how white and black suspects were treated

i remember the phenomenon of the show but never watched it myself

At this point, racism is getting heavier and heavier.

Thanks to a group of Boy Scouts, Farmington Hills Police Department is now under investigation after the scouts discovered images of Black males with guns were used as targets for shooting practice.

The troops were touring the facility when they spotted the targets, which included images of some of the Black males wearing hoodies and backward caps. Some of the “targets” were pierced with bullet holes, Vice reported.

In one photo from the group’s tour, six white Scouts are captured looking at the targets—which was of a Black man who has a menacing look on his face and pointing a gun. What makes it even sadder, is a Black Boy Scout is also in the picture but standing behind the group of six white troops.

Thanks to an unidentified person who attended the tour, the disturbing incident was reported.

“When those children were exposed to those images, to me it was the potential detrimental effects on how they view Black men and Black people that was indescribable,” attorney Dionne Webster-Cox, who represents the person, told VICE News. “It’s literally profiling for the Black man. You’ve got young police officers and this is what they’re being trained on?”

The targets have since been removed and are now under a legal review, Mayor Vicki Barnett confirmed at a public city council meeting.

During the meeting, Farmington Police Chief Jeff King apologized. “I’ll take this one on the chin,” King said. “I apologize to each and every person in this room, this community, my department, my city council, my city manager. I can’t overlook this.”

He also disclosed that the images were purchased but didn’t say where from, or if they are of actual people.

He did go on to say that the use of the images of Black men was taken out of context.

“A diverse group of targets were on display the day of the tour—not just targets featuring Black people,” King said. “Unfortunately, this was not accurately depicted in the photographs, as the photographs only depict a small area of the department’s firing range and a select number of the targets that were presented and discussed during the group tour.”.............

targets.jpg

At this point, racism is getting heavier and heavier.

Thanks to a group of Boy Scouts, Farmington Hills Police Department is now under investigation after the scouts discovered images of Black males with guns were used as targets for shooting practice.

The troops were touring the facility when they spotted the targets, which included images of some of the Black males wearing hoodies and backward caps. Some of the “targets” were pierced with bullet holes, Vice reported.

In one photo from the group’s tour, six white Scouts are captured looking at the targets—which was of a Black man who has a menacing look on his face and pointing a gun. What makes it even sadder, is a Black Boy Scout is also in the picture but standing behind the group of six white troops.

Thanks to an unidentified person who attended the tour, the disturbing incident was reported.

“When those children were exposed to those images, to me it was the potential detrimental effects on how they view Black men and Black people that was indescribable,” attorney Dionne Webster-Cox, who represents the person, told VICE News. “It’s literally profiling for the Black man. You’ve got young police officers and this is what they’re being trained on?”

The targets have since been removed and are now under a legal review, Mayor Vicki Barnett confirmed at a public city council meeting.

During the meeting, Farmington Police Chief Jeff King apologized. “I’ll take this one on the chin,” King said. “I apologize to each and every person in this room, this community, my department, my city council, my city manager. I can’t overlook this.”

He also disclosed that the images were purchased but didn’t say where from, or if they are of actual people.

He did go on to say that the use of the images of Black men was taken out of context.

“A diverse group of targets were on display the day of the tour—not just targets featuring Black people,” King said. “Unfortunately, this was not accurately depicted in the photographs, as the photographs only depict a small area of the department’s firing range and a select number of the targets that were presented and discussed during the group tour.”.............

targets.jpg
He did an actual apology
Then he just stomped all over that apology

Shocked I tell ya

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom