Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (5 Viewers)

The caption read “hanging with the homies.”

The picture above it showed several Black men who had been lynched.

Another photo asked what someone should do if their girlfriend was having an affair with a Black man. The answer, according to the caption, was to break “a tail light on his car so the police will stop him and shoot him.”

Someone else sent a picture of a candy cane, a Christmas tree ornament, a star for the top of the tree and an “enslaved person.”

“Which one doesn’t belong?” the caption asked.

“You don’t hang the star,” someone wrote back.

The comments represent a sliver of a trove of racist text messages exchanged by more than a dozen current and former Torrance police officers and recruits.

Through interviews with sources with direct knowledge of the investigation, public records requests and a review of district attorney’s office records, The Times examined some of the contents of the until-now secret texts and identified a dozen Torrance police officers under investigation for exchanging them.

The broad scope of the racist text conversations, which prosecutors said went on for years, has created a crisis for the Torrance Police Department and could jeopardize hundreds of criminal cases in which the officers either testified or made arrests. California Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta said Wednesday his office will investigate the department in the wake of the scandal.

The officers’ comments spared no color or creed: They joked about “gassing” Jewish people, assaulting members of the LGBTQ community, using violence against suspects and lying during an investigation into a police shooting, according to district attorney’s office records reviewed by The Times.

Frequently, hateful comments were targeted at Black people. Officers called Black men “savages,”and several variations of the N-word, according to documents reviewed by The Times. The officers also shared instructions on how to tie a noose and a picture of a stuffed animal being lynched inside Torrance’s police headquarters, according to the documents.

While no officers currently face criminal charges in direct relation to the text messages, the racist exchanges have led to the dismissal of at least 85 criminal cases involving the officers implicated in the scandal. County prosecutors had tossed 35 felony cases as of mid-November, and the Torrance city attorney’s office has dismissed an additional 50, officials said.

In total, the officers were listed as potential witnesses in nearly 1,400 cases in the last decade, according to district attorney’s records The Times obtained through a public records request. The officers did not necessarily testify in each case, so it’s unclear how many of those cases could be affected...............

I had to double check to make sure that I didn't repost Prime's story. I'm shocked that it's happened more than once.

I had to double check to make sure that I didn't repost Prime's story. I'm shocked that it's happened more than once.
Seriously, what is wrong with Minnesota? Definitely feels like they have more than their fair share of these stories

A 15-year-old boy died of smoke inhalation during a SWAT raid in New Mexico, police have said.

A preliminary autopsy report revealed the cause of death for Brett Rosenau, the Albuquerque Police Department announced on Sunday.

Brett was in a home in the southeastern parts of the city when the SWAT raid took place on Wednesday evening.

“In our effort to track down and arrest a violent criminal, a young person tragically lost his life,” APD Chief Harold Medina said in a statement.

“I know many people in our community are hurting right now, and [we] appreciate everyone’s patience while the incident is thoroughly investigated,” he added. “If any of our actions inadvertently contributed to his death, we will take steps to ensure this never happens again.”……..

"It makes me question how he conducts business when he has his uniform on," Sheets said. "But, with that being said, I don't think one apple destroys a whole bunch. I think each person has to be accountable for his actions. I don't want anything from this man except for him to take responsibility for his actions and his inaction. He should have made sure we were safe, and he didn't."

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom