Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (14 Viewers)

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) — A white former police officer went on trial Monday for fatally shooting a Black woman through a rear window of her Texas home in a case that has faced years of delays.

Fort Worth officer Aaron Dean quit and was charged with murder two days after killing 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson while responding to a call about an open front door in October 2019. Jefferson had been playing video games with her then-8-year-old nephew, who later told authorities his aunt pulled out a gun after hearing suspicious noises behind the house. Body-camera footage showed Dean didn't identify himself as police.

At the time, the case was unusual for the relative speed with which, amid public outrage, the Fort Worth Police Department released the video and arrested Dean. Since then, his case has been repeatedly postponed amid lawyerly wrangling, the terminal illness of his lead attorney and the COVID-19 pandemic...............

all white jury
somehow

A newly-obtained autopsy report has concluded that a 43-year old Florida man’s death after being violently restrained by jailers was a homicide by strangulation.

On 17 January, 2021, Kevin Desir became unresponsive after a struggle with six deputies at the North Broward Bureau facility, a jail operated by the Broward county sheriff’s office (BSO) in south Florida.

The jail specifically detains arrestees who have mental and physical disabilities, as well as those with mental health problems.

During the incident, Desir was handcuffed, punched repeatedly, tasered, and pepper sprayed by officers, and lost consciousness after the deputies attempted to strap him into a restraint chair…….

Kevin Desir loved his family.

He loved his father, his mother, his four siblings, many cousins that he remained close with. Desir loved, deeply loved, his two daughters, the first grandchildren of the Desir family, his relatives said.

Desir had plans, including aspirations to buy a house for the two growing girls at the center of his life.

But on 13 January 2021, Desir was arrested for marijuana possession. Four days later the 43-year-old Black man was handcuffed, punched, tasered and pepper-sprayed by detention deputies at a notorious Florida jail. During the brutal 10-minute encounter, Desir became unresponsive. He never regained consciousness and 10 days later, he died.

Desir’s death has received scant national coverage, with authorities accused of suppressing vital video evidence depicting the fatal incident with law enforcement.

But a Guardian investigation reviewing hundreds of pages of internal documents obtained via public records requests, an exclusively obtained private autopsy report as well as interviews with legal experts and Desir’s family have raised new questions around the findings of the official investigation into his death.

The recently obtained private autopsy report concludes Desir died of manual strangulation and declared his death a homicide, contradicting the findings of the official autopsy conducted by Broward county medical examiner’s office.

The Guardian has also found that the two deputies involved in Desir’s death, who were absolved of criminal responsibility and later given glowing internal reviews, received only partial retraining and not until more than a year after the incident, despite formal recommendations…….

Kevin Desir loved his family.

He loved his father, his mother, his four siblings, many cousins that he remained close with. Desir loved, deeply loved, his two daughters, the first grandchildren of the Desir family, his relatives said.

Desir had plans, including aspirations to buy a house for the two growing girls at the center of his life.

But on 13 January 2021, Desir was arrested for marijuana possession. Four days later the 43-year-old Black man was handcuffed, punched, tasered and pepper-sprayed by detention deputies at a notorious Florida jail. During the brutal 10-minute encounter, Desir became unresponsive. He never regained consciousness and 10 days later, he died.

Desir’s death has received scant national coverage, with authorities accused of suppressing vital video evidence depicting the fatal incident with law enforcement.

But a Guardian investigation reviewing hundreds of pages of internal documents obtained via public records requests, an exclusively obtained private autopsy report as well as interviews with legal experts and Desir’s family have raised new questions around the findings of the official investigation into his death.

The recently obtained private autopsy report concludes Desir died of manual strangulation and declared his death a homicide, contradicting the findings of the official autopsy conducted by Broward county medical examiner’s office.

The Guardian has also found that the two deputies involved in Desir’s death, who were absolved of criminal responsibility and later given glowing internal reviews, received only partial retraining and not until more than a year after the incident, despite formal recommendations…….

Ok, I am ready to call it what it is. It is organized crime. Law enforcement hardly has anything to do with law, they do not abide by laws themselves, subjectivley enforce laws, and when the want a reason to do something they do not seem to care if the law justifies it.

They are mobsters running a protection racket through brutality and fear.

They have to be the most prevalant and successful organized criminal operation in this nation today.

A SWAT team terrified a 77-year-old Denver grandmother at her home after a series of alleged blunders, including misleading “Find My” app information, placed stolen property at her addresss, according to a lawsuit the ACLU has filed on her behalf.

Ruby Johnson, who has lived in the house for 40 years, was wearing her bathrobe and bonnet on 4 January when she heard a bullhorn ordering anyone within the home to come outside, states the complaint, filed last week in Denver District Court against Denver Police Detective Gary Staab.

Ms Johnson opened the door to the site of an armoured vehicle, police cars, officers in full military tactical gear and a German Shephard from the K-9 unit.

According to the complaint, Mr Staab was looking for the contents of a truck stolen a day earlier with contents that included drones, firearms, $4,000 cash and an old iPhone.

The truck’s owner allegedly used the “Find My” app, which placed its location near Ms Johnson’s house in the Montbello neighbourhood of Denver.

“The warrant authorizing the illegal search of Ms. Johnson’s home issued on Defendant Staab’s hastily prepared, bare-bones, misleading affidavit,” the complaint reads.

“The sole basis he identified for connecting the crime to Ms. Johnson’s address was the truck theft victim’s use of Apple’s ‘Find My’ app to try to track an old iPhone that was in the stolen truck.

But contrary to Defendant Staab’s representations to the reviewing judge, use of the app in fact made clear that the iPhone’s location could not be accurately identified, and there was zero basis to single out Ms. Johnson’s home.”……..

Ok, I am ready to call it what it is. It is organized crime. Law enforcement hardly has anything to do with law, they do not abide by laws themselves, subjectivley enforce laws, and when the want a reason to do something they do not seem to care if the law justifies it.
they are taking that Jimmy Swagger mantra, Do as I say. don't do as I do...

Fewer fatal police shootings are recorded by the federal government every year, despite renewed scrutiny of police use of force and millions of dollars spent to encourage local law enforcement to report the data.

Even though federal records indicate that fatal shootings by police have been declining nationwide since 2015, The Washington Post’s Fatal Force database shows the opposite is true: Officers have shot and killed more people every year, reaching a record high in 2021 with 1,047 deaths.

The FBI database contains only about one third of the 7,000 fatal police shootings during this time — down from half when The Post first started tracking.

Fatal shootings by officers in at least 2,250 police and sheriffs’ departments are missing from the past seven years of federal records, according to an analysis of the database maintained by The Post, which began tracking the killings in 2015. The excluded data has created a misleading government picture of police use of force, complicating efforts at accountability.

The incomplete data also obscures a racial discrepancy among those killed by police that is larger than the federal data suggests. Black people are fatally shot by police far more often than is evident in the FBI data, The Post has found — at more than double the rate for White people.

Among the missing data: shootings by officers in 440 departments whose local governments received nearly $90 million in federal grants to track and report crime data; and shootings from another 700 departments required by local laws to report the killings to state authorities, but no higher.

In at least 34 states, laws require police to report crime data to the state. But most of the laws are vague about whether police shootings must be included, offering minimal accountability at the state or local level, The Post found. In California, for example, only half of departments’ fatal police shootings appear in the FBI data.

Boston was among the larger departments with missing data: The Post documented 11 fatal shootings by its officers since 2015, but none of those are recorded in the FBI’s records.

The Chicago Police Department reported six officer-involved shootings, but The Post logged 45. Police in Boise, Idaho, fatally shot 12 people, whose deaths were not recorded in the FBI database…….

The FBI asks the roughly 18,000 law enforcement departments nationwide to report all homicides — including those by officers on duty — so that the information can be used for research and be made available to the public.

But compliance is mandatory only for federal law enforcement. The Post found that only about 290 local departments reported all fatal police shootings to the FBI since 2015……..

Fewer fatal police shootings are recorded by the federal government every year, despite renewed scrutiny of police use of force and millions of dollars spent to encourage local law enforcement to report the data.

Even though federal records indicate that fatal shootings by police have been declining nationwide since 2015, The Washington Post’s Fatal Force database shows the opposite is true: Officers have shot and killed more people every year, reaching a record high in 2021 with 1,047 deaths.

The FBI database contains only about one third of the 7,000 fatal police shootings during this time — down from half when The Post first started tracking.

Fatal shootings by officers in at least 2,250 police and sheriffs’ departments are missing from the past seven years of federal records, according to an analysis of the database maintained by The Post, which began tracking the killings in 2015. The excluded data has created a misleading government picture of police use of force, complicating efforts at accountability.

The incomplete data also obscures a racial discrepancy among those killed by police that is larger than the federal data suggests. Black people are fatally shot by police far more often than is evident in the FBI data, The Post has found — at more than double the rate for White people.

Among the missing data: shootings by officers in 440 departments whose local governments received nearly $90 million in federal grants to track and report crime data; and shootings from another 700 departments required by local laws to report the killings to state authorities, but no higher.

In at least 34 states, laws require police to report crime data to the state. But most of the laws are vague about whether police shootings must be included, offering minimal accountability at the state or local level, The Post found. In California, for example, only half of departments’ fatal police shootings appear in the FBI data.

Boston was among the larger departments with missing data: The Post documented 11 fatal shootings by its officers since 2015, but none of those are recorded in the FBI’s records.

The Chicago Police Department reported six officer-involved shootings, but The Post logged 45. Police in Boise, Idaho, fatally shot 12 people, whose deaths were not recorded in the FBI database…….

The FBI asks the roughly 18,000 law enforcement departments nationwide to report all homicides — including those by officers on duty — so that the information can be used for research and be made available to the public.

But compliance is mandatory only for federal law enforcement. The Post found that only about 290 local departments reported all fatal police shootings to the FBI since 2015……..

So...federal records of local police shootings and/or homicides are hardly complete. Imagine that! And they've only been tracking since 2015. The data should be mandatory imo. And I'm not sure I'd trust the federally reported numbers because of the low reporting. Garbage in, garbage out.

Cut holes in her ceiling and ripped the heads off of her antique doll collection.
I guess the detective doesn't actually detect... Between me, my wife and 2 kids, our location is scattered. A lot of times at least one of us is showing across the street. I can't believe he used cell phone location as 100% accuracy...

A Buffalo police captain told officers she supervised that Black cops were more likely to cheat on their wives than white cops.

The captain said she’d be suspicious if she saw a Black man in her neighborhood.

She claimed white police officers suffered post-traumatic stress disorder from working in Black neighborhoods, but Black officers did not, because they were more accustomed to violent crime.

The captain told Black officers they should try to understand how the criminality of Black people justified some racism.

These claims are detailed in a lawsuit filed Monday evening in federal court by two Buffalo police officers and a civilian mental health clinician. The target of the lawsuit is Captain Amber Beyer, who oversees the department’s Behavioral Health Team, a unit created two years ago to respond to people suffering mental health crises. The City of Buffalo and the Buffalo Police Department are also named as defendants.

The complainants are Officer Brandon Hawkins, a 15-year veteran of the department; Officer Katelynn Bolden, a six-year veteran; and mental health clinician Erica Seymour, who was employed by an agency contracted by the department to provide mental health services.

According to the lawsuit, Beyer offered these opinions on May 2 in the Behavioral Health Team’s office in police headquarters on Court Street.

That day, a member of the team, Officer Jason Wagstaff, showed Beyer “a viral video … of an incident in which two white police officers in a different jurisdiction racially profiled and pulled over a Black officer (who was wearing his uniform).”

After watching the video, Beyer said she saw “both sides” of the incident, according to the lawsuit.

Officers Bolden and Wagstaff pushed back, saying the video demonstrated the white officers’ “racist intent.”

Beyer responded with a 20-minute “rant,” according to the lawsuit, in which she made the claims about Black criminality and marital infidelity.

After asserting that Black men cheat on their wives more often than White men, she asked for affirmation from a white mental health clinician, according to the lawsuit. The clinician did not respond.

Beyer added that all the Black officers she knew were unfaithful and their infidelity “was a running joke” in the department.

She said it was understandable that a white person who had been robbed by a Black person would have racist views.

An uncomfortable silence fell over the room. Eventually Beyer walked out.

“That was awkward,” Wagstaff said, according to the complaint.............

First off this was 2019... so much just slips through the cracks. I suspect with some effort in searching we could make this thread the longest in the EE.

Second, I want to take a second to commend the supervising officer, he did his job. He called it out and stopped it. He also did not simply try to hush everything up. He tried to reassure the woman, and even let her know it was being recorded. Basically told her she had evidence if she wanted to pursue charges. She did sue and win 50k actually. I wish I knew his name so I could see if he has been run out of law enforcement or not.

Third, the offending officer, the trainee displayed exactly what you do not want in a LEO. He was abusing his position of power from the start. He was not fired and continued to act the mobster above the law until, finally, he got caught seizing pot and giving it to his girlfriend. It should suprise no one, he show an intent to abuse his position and belief that he was outside the lawfrom the start. He got a dismissed from the force, a $500 fine, and a 2 yr conditional discharge (which apparently means no further punishment if he stays out of trouble for 2 years).

No mention of being barred from police work, and he does not have a felony record... so I would wager he moves and gets hired elsewhere in a few years.

First off this was 2019... so much just slips through the cracks. I suspect with some effort in searching we could make this thread the longest in the EE.

Second, I want to take a second to commend the supervising officer, he did his job. He called it out and stopped it. He also did not simply try to hush everything up. He tried to reassure the woman, and even let her know it was being recorded. Basically told her she had evidence if she wanted to pursue charges. She did sue and win 50k actually. I wish I knew his name so I could see if he has been run out of law enforcement or not.

Third, the offending officer, the trainee displayed exactly what you do not want in a LEO. He was abusing his position of power from the start. He was not fired and continued to act the mobster above the law until, finally, he got caught seizing pot and giving it to his girlfriend. It should suprise no one, he show an intent to abuse his position and belief that he was outside the lawfrom the start. He got a dismissed from the force, a $500 fine, and a 2 yr conditional discharge (which apparently means no further punishment if he stays out of trouble for 2 years).

No mention of being barred from police work, and he does not have a felony record... so I would wager he moves and gets hired elsewhere in a few years.
In some other professions, you get blacklisted for that kind of sheet. Crazy what people can get away with and still get a job in law enforcement.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom