Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (9 Viewers)

If i remember correctly, he shot that guy. he knew from the jump he was gonna shoot that guy, it was just a matter of when...
Yes. The People of Arizona acquitted him of murder and he's now receiving a $30K pension from them.
A former Mesa, Arizona, police officer who was acquitted two years ago in the fatal shooting of an unarmed man seen on video pleading "please do not shoot me" was temporarily rehired by his department last year so he could apply for an accidental disability pension.

Philip Mitchell Brailsford, 28, is now retired from the force with a tax-free pension worth $31,000 a year for life — and his attorney confirmed Friday that the settlement was a result of him suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder due to the shooting involving Daniel Shaver of Texas.

Two Arkansas deputies who were caught on video violently arresting a suspect outside a convenience store in August have been fired, authorities said on Thursday.

Crawford county sheriff Jimmy Damante told Fort Smith television station KHBS that Levi White and Zachary King had been fired but did not elaborate on the decision.

A bystander recorded White, King and Mulberry police officer Thell Riddle arresting 27-year-old Randal Worcester outside a convenience store in the small town of Mulberry, about 140 miles (225 km) north-west of Little Rock, near the border with Oklahoma……..

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Two former Arkansas law enforcement officers are charged with civil rights violations in the violent arrest of a man outside a convenience store that was caught on video and widely shared on social media, the U.S. Justice Department announced Tuesday.

Former Crawford County sheriff's deputies Zack King and Levi White are charged with using excessive force by hitting Randal Worcester multiple times while he was on the ground during an Aug. 21 arrest. A bystander used a cellphone to record the arrest in the small town of Mulberry, about 140 miles (220 kilometers) northwest of Little Rock, near the border with Oklahoma.

The two former deputies pleaded not guilty during an initial court appearance Tuesday afternoon, after the indictment against them was unsealed. An attorney for the former deputies, Russell Woods, said his clients deny the allegations.

If convicted, each deputy faces up to 10 years in prison.

Charges were not announced against Mulberry police officer Thell Riddle, who was also on the video. Former Crawford County Sheriff Jimmy Damante fired King and White in October............

Could be racist, could be oblivious mistake
=============================
A codeword used by police to grant family access to their dying teenage relative in hospital was racist, his mother has alleged.

19-year-old Sheldon Lewcock was hit by a van in Tilehurst, Reading in August 2022.

Police gave his mother, Angela Lewcock, the codeword “banana” to use when visiting her son, who was mixed-race, in hospital. Thames Valley Police’s professional standards department is now investigating the use of this word…….

Could be racist, could be oblivious mistake
=============================
A codeword used by police to grant family access to their dying teenage relative in hospital was racist, his mother has alleged.

19-year-old Sheldon Lewcock was hit by a van in Tilehurst, Reading in August 2022.

Police gave his mother, Angela Lewcock, the codeword “banana” to use when visiting her son, who was mixed-race, in hospital. Thames Valley Police’s professional standards department is now investigating the use of this word…….

Banana? I wouldn't have thought about the racist connotation because I've never used it or seen it used in that context, but I can see why someone would. I wouldn't have picked that codeword tho.

Banana? I wouldn't have thought about the racist connotation because I've never used it or seen it used in that context, but I can see why someone would. I wouldn't have picked that codeword tho.
In a lot of Euro soccer, fans have been known to throw bananas at the opposing team’s black players
It doesn’t happen, a lot, but it certainly happens

In a lot of Euro soccer, fans have been known to throw bananas at the opposing team’s black players
It doesn’t happen, a lot, but it certainly happens
Wasn't aware of that. I don't really follow soccer outside of the USMNT. Definitely one of those "I don't understand people" things. Thanks for the heads up.

Wasn't aware of that. I don't really follow soccer outside of the USMNT. Definitely one of those "I don't understand people" things. Thanks for the heads up.
yeah it sucks - and it's one of the main reasons teams still kneel at beginning of games (not just bananas, but pervasive racism)
Italy seems to be one of the worst offenders - or at least they get the banner headlines when there's an 'incident'
but i have to say for as **** an organization as UEFA is, they do seem to put some teeth in their mostly PR anti-racism campaigns. and broadcasters usually at least pay lip-service to addressing the issues

yeah it sucks - and it's one of the main reasons teams still kneel at beginning of games (not just bananas, but pervasive racism)
Italy seems to be one of the worst offenders - or at least they get the banner headlines when there's an 'incident'
but i have to say for as **** an organization as UEFA is, they do seem to put some teeth in their mostly PR anti-racism campaigns. and broadcasters usually at least pay lip-service to addressing the issues
Yeah, I do remember seeing some reports about the kneeling, although I had assumed it was more related to broader social justice issues. Makes sense that it's intended to address racism issues. Is it more related to racism directed at the teams, or more at broader racism issues in those countries? Maybe both?

Yeah, I do remember seeing some reports about the kneeling, although I had assumed it was more related to broader social justice issues. Makes sense that it's intended to address racism issues. Is it more related to racism directed at the teams, or more at broader racism issues in those countries? Maybe both?
the Euros on the board can probably shed more light - but i'd say both
Each country has it issues from their colonial eras (Pakistani, Caribbean, et al in UK; N Africa in France; Turks in Germany, etc etc)
then of course the recent immigration issues hand in hand with the rise in far right nationalism (sound familiar?)

to say nothing of the fact that so so so many euro clubs were built on cultural, social, economic, geographic rivalries and soccer hooliganism was a real problem in europe for decades

there's a lot that it's still working through

A police chief in Pennsylvania was arrested and charged with dealing meth and cocaine, the Department of Justice announced on Wednesday.

Shawn Denning, who led the Greensburg Police Department, is facing six federal charges linked to a series of drug deals prosecutors say he oversaw between June 2021 and October 2022.

Court documents seen by Insider allege that Denning worked with at least three sources to help a confidential informant source drugs from California and Arizona. The informant was secretly working with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).............

So I’ve seen online regarding the Memphis cops body cam footage that will be released tomorrow that either the mayor and/or police chief said to the effect “it’s important to remain calm, they’ve all been fired and charged with murder, etc.”

Which means this video is going to be absolutely brutal and even worse than I thought
========================

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Five fired Memphis police officers were charged Thursday with murder and other crimes in the killing of Tyre Nichols, a Black motorist who died three days after a confrontation with the officers during a traffic stop.

Shelby County District Attorney Steve Mulroy told a news conference that although the officers each played different roles in the killing, “they are all responsible.”

The officers, who are all Black, each face charges of second-degree murder, aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression.

Video of the Jan. 7 traffic stop will be released to the public sometime Friday evening, Mulroy said. Nichols’ family and their lawyers say the footage shows officers savagely beating the 29-year-old father and FedEx worker for three minutes……..

Last edited:
So I’ve seen online regarding the Memphis cops body cam footage that will be released tomorrow that either the mayor and/or police chief said to the effect “it’s important to remain calm, they’ve all been fired and charged with murder, etc.”

Which means this video is going to be absolutely brutal and even worse than I thought
It also means they don't want to see Memphis burn, which, depending on how bad this is, may be on the table anyway.

Edit: I want to make very clear I am not in any way advocating for rioting, just suggesting that it's always a possibility in these situations, and this one seems to have all the ingredients for a blowup except for the fact that, as the chief said, they've already been fired and charged.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom