Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (8 Viewers)

It's actually a good example of how not to interact with the police. If you are holding something and the officer asks you to set it down, just set it down

Try your best not to cuss the officer out.

Try to cooperate so that you can both go about your business.

Pretty damn easy really.

It's actually a good example of how not to interact with the police. If you are holding something and the officer asks you to set it down, just set it down

Pretty damn easy really.
You are totally missing the point. The cop harassed the person for no reason. The guy was picking up trash. How is that in anyway remotely questionable for trespassing?

Sadly, this is a daily fact of life for many people. It's a form of oppression. It's not acceptable. This citizen is well within his rights to stand up for himself. The cop was being a jerk and got called on it. The cop then doubles down on the uppity person of color.

It's not acceptable and you likely wouldn't stand for it if officers were constantly harassing you or your community like this.

Pretty damn easy really.

If he had given the officer his ID and it had an address from another state or city on it (since he was going to school there, chances are his address on an ID wouldn't reflect residence at the school). do you think that would have helped the guy out proving he lived/worked there or would it have possibly escalated the cops warped sense of trespass?
But you are partially right about how not to interact with police, but it is also a good example of how Police should not interact with someone who was doing ZERO wrong other than being a black guy around somewhere the cop thought he didn't belong...
If that officer didn't have a body cam, I would bet things would have gotten a lot uglier and ended in a much different way.

Pretty damn easy really.
Me: victim blaming, you? SHOCKING!!!!
Flip: somethingsomething virtue signaling something

A local incident has picked up national coverage.

This was run by the Washington Post:

A ‘saggy pants’ violation led to a fatal police chase. A Louisiana lawmaker wants to repeal the law.

Anthony Childs clung to his shorts as he ran past the police cruiser, holding them at his waist to keep them from falling down.

The officer had spotted Childs walking along the sidewalk in Shreveport, La., on the afternoon of Feb. 5 and cut a sharp left turn at the next intersection to speed up next to him. Childs, the officer saw, appeared in violation of Shreveport’s “saggy pants” ordinance, prohibiting wearing pants below the waist in public, punishable by a fine of up to $100 and up to eight hours of community service.

Childs fled as the cruiser approached, ditching the sidewalk for a vacant field. The officer hopped the curb and gunned it through the grass, gliding to a stop as he caught up to Childs.

“Hey! Hey!” the officer yelled, according to dash-cam footage of the incident. He could see now that Childs had a gun. “Put the gun down!” he yelled twice. The rest all happened in a matter of seconds. A succession of gunshots rang out. The officer fired eight shots, striking Childs three times as he lay on the ground. But the coroner later ruled that the bullet that killed Childs, 31, was the one he put into his own chest. It was the only shot he fired.

Rest of story

The Councilperson who is trying to repeal this law is a friend of mine.

This whole story is causing BIG issues here in Shreveport. Initial police reports said that no gun was found near Childs. The police officer whop shot him is known to have issues with Childs in the past, yet denies it in his statement.

Me: victim blaming, you? SHOCKING!!!!
Flip: somethingsomething virtue signaling something

It's not about blaming the kid, it's about caring enough to point out that he could have very easily made life a lot easier and safer for himself with very little effort. Placed the trash grabber on the ground, looked the officer in the eye, gave him the information that he had and since he didn't have anything with that address he perhaps he could have simply said, "my supervisor is xxxxxx, if you contact him he can confirm who I am."

Done. No reason to escalate at all.

The thing is, when you are in such a situation you have no idea what information the officer may be acting on. You may have done nothing wrong whatsoever, but the officer may have just received information that a violent crime has just been committed in the area.

It's just not a good idea to go into the encounter with an attitude like that kid did.

It's not about blaming the kid, it's about caring enough to point out that he could have very easily made life a lot easier and safer for himself with very little effort. Placed the trash grabber on the ground, looked the officer in the eye, gave him the information that he had and since he didn't have anything with that address he perhaps he could have simply said, "my supervisor is xxxxxx, if you contact him he can confirm who I am."

Done. No reason to escalate at all.

The thing is, when you are in such a situation you have no idea what information the officer may be acting on. You may have done nothing wrong whatsoever, but the officer may have just received information that a violent crime has just been committed in the area.

It's just not a good idea to go into the encounter with an attitude like that kid did.

This is an extremely poor example of policing no matter what information this cop has. If a violent crime was just committed, he sure as hell wouldn't have approached this man by himself on foot.

You REALLY have to disconnect yourself from reality (and the US Constitution) to try and find excuses for this cop's behavior here. Trying to defend him is about as tribalistic as you can get.

This is an extremely poor example of policing no matter what information this cop has. If a violent crime was just committed, he sure as hell wouldn't have approached this man by himself on foot.

You REALLY have to disconnect yourself from reality (and the US Constitution) to try and find excuses for this cop's behavior here. Trying to defend him is about as tribalistic as you can get.

Actually, it may be that your own bias caused you to read my post as presenting a defense of the cop when in fact that's not what I did at all. What I am saying is that if the young man was my son I would not be at all happy with the way he conducted himself. Cussing out a cop, or anyone else for that matter, is not the best way to get the best results. He certainly should have put down the trash grabber when the cop told him to.

It's a matter of assuming some responsibility for one's own safety and well being.

Actually, it may be that your own bias caused you to read my post as presenting a defense of the cop when in fact that's not what I did at all. What I am saying is that if the young man was my son I would not be at all happy with the way he conducted himself. Cussing out a cop, or anyone else for that matter, is not the best way to get the best results. He certainly should have put down the trash grabber when the cop told him to.

It's a matter of assuming some responsibility for one's own safety and well being.
it is
you think you're walking a middle line, but you're really saying the reason the scene escalated was the kid
the kid is not a professional peace keeper, the kid does not have special training to deescalate potentially dangerous situations, the kid is not armed nor armored

the blames starts and ends with the cop looking for a fight - everything happens bc he is unprofessional and bad at his job

it is
you think you're walking a middle line, but you're really saying the reason the scene escalated was the kid
the kid is not a professional peace keeper, the kid does not have special training to deescalate potentially dangerous situations, the kid is not armed nor armored

the blames starts and ends with the cop looking for a fight - everything happens bc he is unprofessional and bad at his job

If that kid keeps acting the way he did in the video he is going to continue to be a "victim.".

<blockquote class="reddit-card" data-card-created="1559954866"><a href="">Dude Saves Teen From Cop Wrongfully Detaining Him</a> from <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/JusticeServed">r/JusticeServed</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//embed.redditmedia.com/widgets/platform.js" charset="UTF-8"></script>

It's an entertaining video, just don't rely on that guy's legal opinions if the NOPD stops you on the street.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom