Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (6 Viewers)

Only that's not even close to what happened.

First the cop has no idea who instigated and who was just a defender at that point.

Second, she was not holding someone at bay with the knife, she was actively engaging (possibly about to stab) with a person pinned against the car.

Third this isn't some Hollywood movie where the good guy can rush in and disarm a knife wielding suspect easily subduing them while all the others around will just let him alone making him safe while he's doing that.

I don't like the result, but I can't find any issues with the officers action and frankly it hurts legitimate cases when folks go off half cocked making accusations of abuse in instances where it is not warranted.
Well said. Everyone likes to play captain hindsight.

Third this isn't some Hollywood movie where the good guy can rush in and disarm a knife wielding suspect easily subduing them while all the others around will just let him alone making him safe while he's doing that.
Drives me nuts whenever I hear (which is often since my wife and sister say it a LOT) "why don't the police just shoot them in the leg?". Totally clueless.

As for the appropriateness of shooting 3-4 drop shots or correct situational Taser use (or chokeholds or no-knock warrant entries, for that matter), that's dependent upon policy and/or training. I'm not saying those particular actions are totally devoid of personal judgment and accountability, but following approved policy/training is a legitimate personal defense for individual officers.

Drives me nuts whenever I hear (which is often since my wife and sister say it a LOT) "why don't the police just shoot them in the leg?". Totally clueless.

As for the appropriateness of shooting 3-4 drop shots or correct situational Taser use (or chokeholds or no-knock warrant entries, for that matter), that's dependent upon policy and/or training. I'm not saying those particular actions are totally devoid of personal judgment and accountability, but following approved policy/training is a legitimate personal defense for individual officers.
Yeah, then it becomes more of a training/protocol debate, which I think is an appropriate discussion to have. What the cop did there seems pretty "by the book". But I'm not a trained officer, so I'm not entirely sure.

Yeah, then it becomes more of a training/protocol debate, which I think is an appropriate discussion to have. What the cop did there seems pretty "by the book". But I'm not a trained officer, so I'm not entirely sure.
Well probably so as his department chiefs are all in full support of his actions.

You mean like virtually all on the left and most media? Looking at you LeBron James.
No I don't mean that. Much like false accusations of abuse, false attribution of intent is a net negative for society.

FWIW, I consider myself a liberal in most social aspects, but a conservative in most financial aspects. I won't dare to speak for most liberals or media. I once bought in on the oft sold line that most conservatives (or liberals) yada yada yada. I now see how my presumptions of others thoughts and intentions is as unpleasant as them doing it for myself. Therefore, I don't speak for or attempt to assign labels when I can manage my internal demons who are screaming that nonsense.

I don't think this is abuse or a bad shoot or racism or anything like that. Unfortunately, this is a doo doo sandwich all the way around. When a lethal weapon is involved and yes a knife is considered a lethal weapon, then the taser is not in play. The officer can most certainly use deadly force protecting someone else. From the limited video I have seen, this seems to be a justifiable homicide.

You mean like virtually all on the left and most media? Looking at you LeBron James.

Yeah, I think once people actually see the video and have the whole story, they'll probably realize this cop did what he was supposed to do.

The "You're next" comment wasn't smart though.

I don't think this is abuse or a bad shoot or racism or anything like that. Unfortunately, this is a doo doo sandwich all the way around. When a lethal weapon is involved and yes a knife is considered a lethal weapon, then the taser is not in play. The officer can most certainly use deadly force protecting someone else. From the limited video I have seen, this seems to be a justifiable homicide.
I feel similar to @Tapxe (liberal with social issues, conservative with financial) but I can say that my bleeding heart liberal friends are really turning me away from them much like the Trump-supporting crowd who are blinded by their beliefs & apply zero reasoning and logic, these people are beginning to fall into the same category in my eyes - quickly responding to their political dog whistles and have lost all ability to apply reason and logic to situations as well as seeming to never place any accountability where it belongs.

Particularly this latest knife wielding situation and the police shooting last week of Adam Toledo. Look, I distrust and generally despise the police more than your average white person. I have voiced that in these threads before. I think George Floyd case was egregious and murder - no doubt about it.

But everyone immediately jumping to "OMG the police killed another minority child" is really lazy outrage. What ever happened to balance?

In the case of Adam Toledo, early morning hours, running around with a 21 y/o criminal, shots fired, has a gun, being chased by police in a dark alley, cop is telling him to stop, when he finally does, he stops and immediately turns around. In real time, this is a matter of seconds. Everyone is suddenly the Monday Morning QB and is like "he had dropped the gun!" In a matter of seconds, in the dark, running down the alley, I cannot say the officer noticed that and give him reasonable consideration that he didn't regardless of what a video after the fact shows people.

If I'm chasing someone with a gun after shots have already been fired and they turn around, I'm shooting.

I think his mom is dumb for going on camera talking about "my boy was a good boy". Yes, I am sure as his mother you're going to say that but this denial she's in, is likely why he's running around with a 21 year old criminal in the middle of the night shooting guns. Where the fork was she?!! Why isn't her "baby" inside at home where he's supposed to be? Why is he hanging around criminals. He's not the angel you make him out to be. That also doesn't necessarily make him "bad" but dude, you're not winning any mother of the year awards.

It is sad and unfortunate. I cried watching the video. As the mother of a young man myself, it's painful to see. However, I am also not going to sit here and pretend that this was the officer's fault or that other people who are not the police don't have culpability here. Those people being the adults who are supposed to be protecting children - his parents and the 21 year old criminal.

In the recent knife case, too many adults standing around adding fuel to the fire and not a single one trying to do the right thing. I read that (and correct me if I am wrong) the girl went back inside the house to get the knife to defend herself. Why didn't she just go back inside and lock the door and call the police? Why did she come back outside? Why didn't her dad make her go inside? Instead, he was participating in the fight and kicking someone in the head?

My bleeding heart liberal friends are saying "oh but they should have fired a warning shot, everyone would have stopped then" - okay I'm sorry but when the cops show up, why do they need to fire warning shots? This isn't the wild west. On top of that being dumb as fork and dangerous (let's say it wasn't)....I thought you guys don't want cops using guns period? Then it's "shoot a limb" or "use the taser".

The other thing I'm hearing is "it was just a kitchen knife". Um, jihadists took down planes with box cutters. Kitchen knives can still puncture your jugular. If the cop had not shot the girl with the knife and the girl in pink would have died, everyone would have been outraged that he didn't do enough and then the family would have sued the police for letting their daughter get attacked/murdered in police presence.

I suppose there is a discussion that could be had on why a taser wasn't used but as Big L pointed out, when deadly weapons are involved, policy allows for using a gun.

Look, I'd like to see our resources get used differently so that people in this country can get proper mental healthcare as needed, more funds directed towards quality education for all, making things to where parents don't have to work so much to barely scrape by and can be more active in their children's lives, policies that don't discriminate against minorities, gun control, etc etc etc so that one day we can have policing that very rarely has to rely on deadly force but until then, situations will arise where it will happen. This kumbaya fantasy people expect right here and right now is just that - a fantasy.

I don't like police brutality but I also don't think the police should risk getting shot when chasing someone with a gun where shots have already been fired.

Sorry for the rant but some people have lost all sense of balance IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom