Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (10 Viewers)

Yeah, I understand that there seems to be a silly human need for catchy slogans but "Defund the Police" is just horrible in terms of moving the ball forward in a meaningful way. Yuck - all the energy wasted on defending or explaining what the slogan actually is intended to mean could be better used in efforts to capture the hearts and minds of the intellectually lazy middle who might be the difference in elections.

It's really just about more (and, ultimately, reallocated) money for different things that impact the number and quality of encounters between law enforcement and (particlarly) people of color. But giving duplicitous politicians such an easy slogan to co-opt to mislead scared potential voters -- well, just silly and counterproductive.

Yeah, I understand that there seems to be a silly human need for catchy slogans but "Defund the Police" is just horrible in terms of moving the ball forward in a meaningful way. Yuck - all the energy wasted on defending or explaining what the slogan actually is intended to mean could be better used in efforts to capture the hearts and minds of the intellectually lazy middle who might be the difference in elections.

It's really just about more (and, ultimately, reallocated) money for different things that impact the number and quality of encounters between law enforcement and (particlarly) people of color. But giving duplicitous politicians such an easy slogan to co-opt to mislead scared potential voters -- well, just silly and counterproductive.
i mean maybe there is a sizable chunk of people who would normally be into an idea of police reform, but then heard the phrase "defund the police" and instead of digging deeper to see what it was all about just went , 'no i can't get behind that so i'll back the badge'
but i have a hard time believing that the people who got in an uproar weren't the same people who met "black lives matter" with "all/blue lives matter"
there was going to be opposition regardless and that opposition has a gigantic microphone and was always going to use it

now would it be great if the amorphous protest movement compromised of millions spread out over dozens of cities and social media also had the world's best PR firm to turn their legit protests into impeccable messaging...but more than likely today's protests would always have been met with the same reactions MLK and the 60s protests got

So you're saying all the white people went to the MAP site?
it's an analogy - just as white people ran from the city, so too did conservatives run from SR/politics -> MAP
one to the suburbs, the other to tigerdroppings

Last edited:
it's an analogy - just as white people ran from the city, so too did conservatives run from SR/politics -> MAP
I didn't run, I just don't like going to another website. I don't like the layout etc. So I stay here and just ignore politics for the most part, and I'm a little happier for it.

I still think it was a mistake to unlink it from here. Because after the closing/migration of PDB to MAP the participation rate plummeted, and the consequences if you misbehaved on MAP were not the same as on PBD. You get banned at the MAP board, big deal, they can still participate on SR. You get banned due to breaking PDB rules, you can't post anywhere on SR.

i mean maybe there is a sizable chunk of people who would normally be into an idea of police reform, but then heard the phrase "defund the police" and instead of digging deeper to see what it was all about just went , 'no i can't get behind that so i'll back the badge'
but i have a hard time believing that the people who got in an uproar weren't the same people who met "black lives matter" with "all/blue lives matter"
there was going to be opposition regardless and that opposition has a gigantic microphone and was always going to use it

now would it be great if the amorphous protest movement compromised of millions spread out over dozens of cities and social media also had the world's best PR firm to turn their legit protests into impeccable messaging...but more than likely today's protests would always have been met with the same reactions MLK and the 60s protests got

I don't know about impeccable messaging, but also I don't know who the hell thought "defund the police" was the appropriate hashtag; or why people just went with it...

I don't know about impeccable messaging, but also I don't know who the hell thought "defund the police" was the appropriate hashtag; or why people just went with it...
#BlackLivesMatter was a thing The.Next.Day #AllLivesMatter was trending
i heard about 'Defund the Police' and the apoplexy about "Defund the Police' at roughly the same time
counter messaging is always locked and loaded and ready to be fired only needing a target
i'm not saying the phrase isn't clunky, but i am saying is that the dominant conversation has been about the phrase and not idea behind the phrase and that was always going to happen - any excuse to not talk about the thing itself - does not matter how perfect/imperfect the message

#BlackLivesMatter was a thing The.Next.Day #AllLivesMatter was trending
i heard about 'Defund the Police' and the apoplexy about "Defund the Police' at roughly the same time
counter messaging is always locked and loaded and ready to be fired only needing a target
i'm not saying the phrase isn't clunky, but i am saying is that the dominant conversation has been about the phrase and not idea behind the phrase and that was always going to happen - any excuse to not talk about the thing itself - does not matter how perfect/imperfect the message

Of course it's been about the phrase. It has nothing to do with the problem, and people decided to explain the phrase, rather than taking the simpler and more effective step of changing the hashtag.

Of course it's been about the phrase. It has nothing to do with the problem, and people decided to explain the phrase, rather than taking the simpler and more effective step of changing the hashtag.
who?
who and how would someone go about changing the hashtag that others would adopt?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom