Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (8 Viewers)

Not a cop but this belongs here
==========================

A Lancaster County, South Carolina, volunteer fire chief resigned Friday over his recent Facebook post that urged police to "stop responding to these black neighborhoods," saying it's better if "they eventually kill each other."

Fire Chief Francis "Butch" Ghent, head of the McDonald Green Volunteer Fire Department, wrote on Facebook April 22—just one day after the deputy-involved shooting of a Black man, Andrew Brown Jr., in Elizabeth City, North Carolina: "Dear Police, stop responding to these black neighborhoods. They will eventually kill each other and the fake news won't have a story,"

Lancaster County officials told the Rock Hill Herald newspaper that they found out about the controversial post Monday, prompting the county council to condemn his Facebook remarks as offensive. Lancaster County Administrator Steve Willis confirmed to several outlets that the released apology was Ghent's own words and that he had been suspended at the time from the fire service......

So what type of discussion do we have about this? From how the witness who shot the video is saying from the other side of the interstate, police had to know a child was in the vehicle. Granted, we don't know which bullet killed the child, but it just seemed like the cops just rattled off gunshots into the car. forking tragic either way.

“Once stopped, the police made no effort to communicate with this guy to engage him somehow and to talk him into giving up his weapon, getting the baby out of there,” Loyola Criminology Professor Emeritus George Capowich said.
Whether to use deadly force is a split-second decision for law enforcement. Capowich watched the cellphone video of the police stop and shooting.
He told WWL-TV, knowing there was a child in the car police had a chance to deescalate the situation after they flattened Smith tires with a spike strip and pushed him onto the median.
“The officers by not taking advantage of the fact that they had the situation stabilized, were then firing and exposing the child to the gunshots (and) exposing other people on the other side of the median.”

“Once stopped, the police made no effort to communicate with this guy to engage him somehow and to talk him into giving up his weapon, getting the baby out of there,” Loyola Criminology Professor Emeritus George Capowich said.
Whether to use deadly force is a split-second decision for law enforcement. Capowich watched the cellphone video of the police stop and shooting.
He told WWL-TV, knowing there was a child in the car police had a chance to deescalate the situation after they flattened Smith tires with a spike strip and pushed him onto the median.
“The officers by not taking advantage of the fact that they had the situation stabilized, were then firing and exposing the child to the gunshots (and) exposing other people on the other side of the median.”
I think the pursuing officers made a deliberate decision that they werent even going to try to communicate with this guy who'd already led them on a high-speed chase. It sounds like some cops make rash, pre-determined decisions where they put themselves into this mindset where if a suspect gives chase on the interstate, or if he makes an initial dumb decision to try and run away if he's armed, he's voluntarily voided any more chances to deserve any communication with, or be reasoned with a crisis negotiator into surrendering. They assume, "The maternal fornicator had his chance to give up and surrender peacefully, so now, its our turn to make him pay and wipe him out". They often jump to the wrong conclusions so quickly and assume using deadly force only as a last-resort, in way too many situations that conceivably could've been resolved amicably or in a less-destructive, damaging way.

I think the pursuing officers made a deliberate decision that they werent even going to try to communicate with this guy who'd already led them on a high-speed chase. It sounds like some cops make rash, pre-determined decisions where they put themselves into this mindset where if a suspect gives chase on the interstate, or if he makes an initial dumb decision to try and run away if he's armed, he's voluntarily voided any more chances to deserve any communication with, or be reasoned with a crisis negotiator into surrendering. They assume, "The madre frocker had his chance to give up and surrender peacefully, so now, its our turn to make him pay and wipe him out". They often jump to the wrong conclusions so quickly and assume using deadly force only as a last-resort, in way too many situations that conceivably could've been resolved amicably or in a less-destructive, damaging way.
Was it a high speed chase? From what I saw on the news they were going down the interstate OJ style.

I couldn't tell from the video on the news. How long after they pushed him off the road did the shooting start? Was there even time for negotiations or did the guy just get out and start shooting?

Yeah the problem isn’t necessarily qualified immunity as a concept, it is how it is applied by the judges. The “clearly established” standard can be reigned in to something more like common sense.

I think the pursuing officers made a deliberate decision that they werent even going to try to communicate with this guy who'd already led them on a high-speed chase. It sounds like some cops make rash, pre-determined decisions where they put themselves into this mindset where if a suspect gives chase on the interstate, or if he makes an initial dumb decision to try and run away if he's armed, he's voluntarily voided any more chances to deserve any communication with, or be reasoned with a crisis negotiator into surrendering. They assume, "The madre frocker had his chance to give up and surrender peacefully, so now, its our turn to make him pay and wipe him out". They often jump to the wrong conclusions so quickly and assume using deadly force only as a last-resort, in way too many situations that conceivably could've been resolved amicably or in a less-destructive, damaging way.
This article tells a much different story.

I saw the cell phone video after it happened and haven't been able to find it again yet, but I seem to remember him opening fire and then the officers returning fire while also ducking for cover. I've also read multiple reports that he was using the baby as a shield when he opened fire. I don't know if that is true or not though. The video in the attached article did show though that it in fact was not a high speed chase and it did say that law enforcement took measures to try to avoid the shootout and that the shootout did happen just moments after the car stopped in the median.

Here's an article with the original cell phone video. The guy starts shooting less than 30 seconds after stopping and you can hear someone shouting, which I assume are officers trying to communicate with him while he's still in the car.

A New Jersey town has fired a police officer who referred to Black Lives Matter protesters as "terrorists" on Facebook.

Hopewell Township, through its council, voted unanimously to terminate the officer, Sara Erwin, on Friday, NJ.com reported this week.

Sgt. Mandy Gray, an officer who reacted to the post, will be suspended for six months and demoted.

The post in question was shared on Facebook in June last year, after the murder of George Floyd triggered protests against police brutality and racial injustice across the nation.

"Last night as I left for work I had my two kids crying for me not to go to work," Erwin reportedly wrote.

"I don't think I've ever felt the way I did last night. And then I watched people I know and others I care about going into harms way. I love my police family like my own. So when you share posts and things on Facebook I'd really appreciate if you'd THINK before doing so.

"I've seen so many black lives matter hashtags in these posts. Just to let you know — they are terrorists. They hate me. They hate my uniform. They don't care if I die.".............

They hate me. They hate my uniform. They don't care if I die.".............
I can understand why she would feel that way, but this is exactly why you can't post stuff on the internet while you're in an emotional state. If you're in a position like hers, social issues and politics should be completely off limits on any social media.

A New Jersey town has fired a police officer who referred to Black Lives Matter protesters as "terrorists" on Facebook.

Hopewell Township, through its council, voted unanimously to terminate the officer, Sara Erwin, on Friday, NJ.com reported this week.

Sgt. Mandy Gray, an officer who reacted to the post, will be suspended for six months and demoted.

The post in question was shared on Facebook in June last year, after the murder of George Floyd triggered protests against police brutality and racial injustice across the nation.

"Last night as I left for work I had my two kids crying for me not to go to work," Erwin reportedly wrote.

"I don't think I've ever felt the way I did last night. And then I watched people I know and others I care about going into harms way. I love my police family like my own. So when you share posts and things on Facebook I'd really appreciate if you'd THINK before doing so.

"I've seen so many black lives matter hashtags in these posts. Just to let you know — they are terrorists. They hate me. They hate my uniform. They don't care if I die.".............

The same way her kids cried for her not to go to work is the same way I cry when I think about my nephew learning to drive.

My heart drops into my stomach when he insists on walking to the store by himself.

I think to myself, cops hate people like him, they hate his skin color, they don't care if he dies. Same exact thoughts.

Seems to me that the feeling is mutual. If only they could find some common ground ....
That starts with not accepting stereotypes and politically driven narratives, challenging yourself to look past what you hear from others and thinking more critically of everything, including and especially yourself. Perspective means everything to understanding.

The same way her kids cried for her not to go to work is the same way I cry when I think about my nephew learning to drive.

My heart drops into my stomach when he insists on walking to the store by himself.

I think to myself, cops hate people like him, they hate his skin color, they don't care if he dies. Same exact thoughts.
I know it's probably for different reasons, but I think it's perfectly natural for a parent to feel that way about their child going it alone in any case. I certainly wouldn't want my daughters walking to the store alone and the thought of them driving alone worries me to death. In fact, my daughter is driving home from college today and my wife & I will be worried sick until she arrives.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom