Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (7 Viewers)

Yet, I know white people who have been threatened in that manner. A good friend of mine was cuffed, thrown face first into the hood of his car and had a gun put to the back of his head when he smarted off to a cop who was giving him a field sobriety test. My friend had been drinking, but he passed the test easily and it obviously P'Oed off the cop, which my friend was a bit too amused by. My friend ended up getting off because there was no denying the gash on his nose and busted up mouth.

Your drunken friend mouthed off to a cop and survived. Again, "your experience" gives credence to a privilege that isn't afforded to everyone.

Your drunken friend mouthed off to a cop and survived. Again, "your experience" gives credence to a privilege that isn't afforded to everyone.
You're right, everyone is not always afforded the same privilege, if that's what your want to call it. But the examples I provide and many others here have provided as well suggest that possibly, the differences in how officers react with people may not be as far apart as you may perceive them to be.

Ironically, every time I relate a story of myself or another white person being treated in a similar manner as a black person, I get the feeling that my experiences get dismissed. I say that's ironic because that's very similar to what bigdaddysaints was saying probably happens to black people.

You're right, everyone is not always afforded the same privilege, if that's what your want to call it. But the examples I provide and many others here have provided as well suggest that possibly, the differences in how officers react with people may not be as far apart as you may perceive them to be.

Ironically, every time I relate a story of myself or another white person being treated in a similar manner as a black person, I get the feeling that my experiences get dismissed. I say that's ironic because that's very similar to what bigdaddysaints was saying probably happens to black people.

Well, fwiw, police abuse regardless who the victim is, shouldn't ever be dismissed. It shouldn't have happened to your friend, and it shouldn't have happened to black people.

It's not dismissive but introducing anecdotal stories into a discussion is usually counterproductive when looking at the big picture. If we were trying to have a conversation about how to improve Comcast after seeing news stories about how horrible Comcast treats customers and you kept coming into the thread to say how great your experience has been with them, it doesn't really help the bigger discussion taking place. Some may say, it's only a distraction from the bigger picture.

Last edited:
Yet, I know white people who have been threatened in that manner. A good friend of mine was cuffed, thrown face first into the hood of his car and had a gun put to the back of his head when he smarted off to a cop who was giving him a field sobriety test. My friend had been drinking, but he passed the test easily and it obviously P'Oed off the cop, which my friend was a bit too amused by. My friend ended up getting off because there was no denying the gash on his nose and busted up mouth.
Did you believe him when he told you what happened? I am guessing yes.

your own construction has you at least minimizing if not dismissing that police abuse is 'significant' for PoC
bc white people also get abused that means it's not 'so' bad for PoC
(ie 'men get raped too so...')
we implying that we should expect that police patrolling cities in Idaho or Montana have no abuse interactions bc they're no PoC around
of course white people get abused by cops, but you'd be hard pressed to show that white people get abused BECAUSE they're white, whereas the opposite has been amply demonstrated over and over and over again

and i've never understood the 'whites get abused too' argument - if anything it shows that abuse is prevalent, so police reform should be clammored for
only the most societally unaware individual would not recognize that life in america is harder for PoC than white people
the next steps are simple logic, but some just don't take that next step for whatever reason

The downside of 'black don't crack'

This really belongs in this thread but was moved to the old PDB

==========================

An 81-year-old retired judge in Vancouver, Canada was wrongfully detained and handcuffed Friday after he was mistaken by a suspect estimated to be no older than 50.

Selwyn Romily, the first Black judge appointed to the top court in Canada’s westernmost province, British Columbia, was taking his morning walk in Vancouver’s famous Stanley Park when two police vehicles pulled up nearby.

Five officers, who all appeared to be white according to Romily, got out of their cars and apprehended him.

“They said that they got a complaint about someone fitting my description, and before I could say anything, they told me to put my hands behind my back and they shackled me with handcuffs,” he told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

“I have no gun, I don’t have anything in my hand or my person. And here you have — at 9:45 a.m., near Third Beach where you have lots of people — you have a Black guy ... shackled in handcuffs and people passing by,” he said.

“I found that most embarrassing,” he added..............

It’s interesting- it’s hard to find an original reporting
Every article is either the ‘gay cops disheartened’ or the ‘shameful’ articles

anyway - Gay Pride Parade is banning cops - will hire private security

Thanks for sharing. The bolded part seems to be where the experience differs between White and Black Americans. I think your post speaks volumes in a very subtle way. We all seem to know that intimidation practices on the public they are sworn to protect is part of LEO DNA. The reason some Americans are still having trouble understanding that police use excess force when dealing with Black people is hidden in your statement. "Cops are bad, but they've never threaten me with deadly force, in my experience they aren't that bad". For a segment of the population, they are that bad. This difference in policing shouldn't exist but it does.
86523726-F0B3-4B16-98F3-15A10F807549.jpeg

Is anyone actually surprised by this?

I'm expecting the state police will be busy tonight in NC.

The cam videos are here.

I'm still trying to see how this is justifiable as he is already pulling off with no police officers in his path when they open fire.

The cam videos are here.

I'm still trying to see how this is justifiable as he is already pulling off with no police officers in his path when they open fire.
independent review boards
never want to hear a DA weigh in on potential cop abuse cases every again
too much conflict of interest and possibility for corruption

The cam videos are here.

Well, the DA states that there was an officer in the path of the car when Brown started to drive forward. The view from the camera wasn't very clear though. Wonder if there are more camera angles than that one. Pretty hard to tell exactly what happened there.

Not saying it was justified, but I'm not sure that this is a case that would get very far in front of a jury. Unless there's more to go on, that would be tough to rule on, from what I can see there.

independent review boards
never want to hear a DA weigh in on potential cop abuse cases every again
too much conflict of interest and possibility for corruption

I do agree with that. DAs often do a lot of work with police to build and prosecute cases. I think there needs to be something different done with cases where cops are accused of abuses. I would be open to having an independent federal investigative arm that would oversee police abuse cases rather than IA or DAs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom