Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (2 Viewers)

From what some of reporting, firing into the vehicle is against that department's policy. Supposedly it states that officers are not to fire into a moving vehicle. And it makes sense to say this as that vehicle could then injure others.
That's a great point. Didn't really think about that aspect.

Commentary I heard asked the question about why if there was an imminent threat, only three of 7 officers fire?
Indeed, I would think only the ones with a clear line of fire would be taking shots, but idk what's going through their heads or what normal protocol calls for. But the shooting into the car is problematic for a whole host of reasons, not the least which would be if there's another passenger in the car.

From what I can gather with that chart, this is base salaries. While both professions put in a ton of extra hours beyond what would be considered the normal weekly, one of them gets paid OT and paid really well for their extra side gigs, while the other doesn't. I'm sure this is not reflected in the salary comparisons.

Different place, but didn't that happen
From what I can gather with that chart, this is base salaries. While both professions put in a ton of extra hours beyond what would be considered the normal weekly, one of them gets paid OT and paid really well for their extra side gigs, while the other doesn't. I'm sure this is not reflected in the salary comparisons.
My daughter has a friend that her dad is a BR cop. their house is at least 350K and him and his wife both have 50k vehicles, boat, 4 wheelers, the daughter has expensive tastes. now the wife works, but she's just an admin.
I have no doubt he's pulling more money doing details than he does while on duty. he works for it, it's not unearned by any means.
they should factor that in while calculating police income.

article on this

sickening
==================
......York was suspended without pay for 50 hours for the dragging and for improperly deactivating his body camera. York told investigators the device was beeping loudly and his “mind was on other things.”

Hollingsworth, in a separate recording obtained by AP, can be heard telling a colleague at the office that “he beat the ever-living f--- out of” Greene........

Last edited:
Good article
===========

If you spend your nights lying awake wondering what it will take to change policing in America, you’re not getting much sleep these days.

The viral videos — one after another — are overwhelming and exhausting, and each new one seems to expose different issues and challenges.

In one, a cop pepper-sprays an Army second lieutenant as he sits in his vehicle after being pulled over. Another video shows officers wrestling to the ground and handcuffing a 73-year-old woman with dementia who had allegedly taken items worth about $14 from a store.

And one year ago next week will be the anniversary of a searing video of George Floyd dying under the knee of former police officer Derek Chauvin.

As a police reformer, I find myself caught between good cops who feel misunderstood and activists who want to defund police departments, or at least reimagine what policing looks like.

I see a flurry of legislative proposals at the local, state and federal levels, but most of them scratch only the surface of what is truly needed.

So what can be done? How do we change not just the operations but also the culture of policing? And how can we generate the sense of urgency that this issue deserves in all 18,000 police agencies in the United States?

The key to answering these questions may lie in the very technology that brought these issues front and center in the first place: video............

Good article
===========

If you spend your nights lying awake wondering what it will take to change policing in America, you’re not getting much sleep these days.

The viral videos — one after another — are overwhelming and exhausting, and each new one seems to expose different issues and challenges.

In one, a cop pepper-sprays an Army second lieutenant as he sits in his vehicle after being pulled over. Another video shows officers wrestling to the ground and handcuffing a 73-year-old woman with dementia who had allegedly taken items worth about $14 from a store.

And one year ago next week will be the anniversary of a searing video of George Floyd dying under the knee of former police officer Derek Chauvin.

As a police reformer, I find myself caught between good cops who feel misunderstood and activists who want to defund police departments, or at least reimagine what policing looks like.

I see a flurry of legislative proposals at the local, state and federal levels, but most of them scratch only the surface of what is truly needed.

So what can be done? How do we change not just the operations but also the culture of policing? And how can we generate the sense of urgency that this issue deserves in all 18,000 police agencies in the United States?

The key to answering these questions may lie in the very technology that brought these issues front and center in the first place: video............

Just for clarification. The officers wrestled to the ground and handcuffed a 73-year old woman with dementia who was caught by the store with items worth about $14, which the store confiscated from her before she left. So, she didn't actually take any items from the store.

Just for clarification. The officers wrestled to the ground and handcuffed a 73-year old woman with dementia who was caught by the store with items worth about $14, which the store confiscated from her before she left. So, she didn't actually take any items from the ststore.
That whole mess could have been avoided had the Walmart employees not been idiots to begin with. Who the heck calls the cops in that situation? She actually tried to tell them she forgot to pay and wanted to go back in and pay for the items. I've done that a few times and never had an issue. That whole episode was forked up from beginning to end.

That whole mess could have been avoided had the Walmart employees not been idiots to begin with. Who the heck calls the cops in that situation? She actually tried to tell them she forgot to pay and wanted to go back in and pay for the items. I've done that a few times and never had an issue. That whole episode was forked up from beginning to end.
I'm wondering if that is some kind of WalMart policy. I know of someone who was arrested for theft at a WalMart. He said that he was with his expectant wife and they were using the self-checkout. His wife became ill and went to the restroom, and he finished checking out. When she came out, they started to leave, and were told that they had stolen the items in the bottom of their cart. He explained what happened and said he'd go pay for them, and they told him no, and called the cops.

I'm wondering if that is some kind of WalMart policy. I know of someone who was arrested for theft at a WalMart. He said that he was with his expectant wife and they were using the self-checkout. His wife became ill and went to the restroom, and he finished checking out. When she came out, they started to leave, and were told that they had stolen the items in the bottom of their cart. He explained what happened and said he'd go pay for them, and they told him no, and called the cops.
That's just stupid. I don't know if it's a lack of training or what. My wife worked at a Target and that wasn't what they were trained to do. Maybe each retailer has their own way of dealing with stuff, but I've actually walked out of the store and returned to pay for items several times and never had a problem doing that. (To be clear, I walked out and had missed an item in the basket, not walked out without paying for anything). Maybe it's because I was a regular and the people there recognized me. Idk.

I understand retailers need to do some risk management, but I have to think they have a certain amount of loss to theft and damage as well as returned items built into their business model. If someone tried walking out with a TV or something, I can understand it, but someone walking out with $14 worth of stuff or someone missing an item when buying a basket full of goods is pretty silly to call the police.

Last edited:
Was my presentation of this concern just poorly constructed? So poor that the non-sequitur response was worthy of internet points?
I know I don't have a high social IQ, but I'm often very confused by the signals I get here.

(I actually am legitimately asking for feedback)
I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to Monte's post as I quoted. I was speaking specifically to the story of the officers violating department policy.

Even if this guy was the right suspect the cop would still be way out of
=====================

A federal court judge on Friday sentenced a former St. Paul, Minn., police officer to six years in prison after a jury found him guilty of a civil rights violation for beating an unarmed Black man who was mistaken for a suspect nearly five years ago.

A federal jury in 2019 convicted former St. Paul officer Brett Palkowitsch of using excessive force against an unarmed civilian after he brutally kicked and severely injured Frank Amal Baker and let a police dog maul him.

In June 2016, Palkowitsch and other police officers responded to a call about a large street fight in St. Paul, where dispatchers said an “unidentified black male with dreadlocks and a white t-shirt” was seen carrying a gun.

After arriving at the scene, Palkowitsch and another officer found no evidence of a street fight but noticed a man who they said matched the suspect’s description, sitting in his car talking on a cellphone.

One of the officers told Baker to get out of the car, as the police dog barked loudly at him, according to a criminal complaint.

Seconds later, the officer released the dog, which knocked Baker to the ground and started mauling his leg.

While Baker was on the ground screaming in pain, Palkowitsch kicked Baker in the torso continuously, breaking seven ribs and causing his lungs to collapse, according to a Department of Justice statement.

According to court records, Palkowitsch testified he “firmly believed” the person on the ground matching the description was in fact the person who was seen with a weapon and that he had “acted under the assumption” that the person being bitten by the dog had a weapon on him........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom