Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (7 Viewers)

Below are a couple comments from this article

first time hearing about the high IQ thing

we all know that police departments are hiring people they shouldn’t but is there any truth to them turning away people they shouldn’t?

interesting on the amount of training too
==============

I'm glad the officer was sorry, and it seems he was sincere about it.

But this brings a big problem into focus: Police departments are not hiring the best or brightest, often on purpose. I have read that most of them don't want people who have high IQs. And many want strong personalities who will get tough easily, and some of those personalities are violent rage time bombs just waiting to go off.

Forget "defund the police"; it will be better to overhaul our police forces and replace all the bad apples with responsible, intelligent, and humane officers of he law.

Today's ranks contain many newspaper headlines just waiting to happen. And behind those headlines are always unqualified individuals who cost their jurisdictions untold millions in compensatory damages, as well as pain and tragedy in the community at large.
========================

They literally don't want cops to be too intelligent. Not too long ago a guy was rejected by the police academy for scoring too high on the IQ test. He sued and lost.

Norway: Requires 3 years of training. Between 2002-2016 they had 4 fatalities caused by police.

Finland: Requires a 3-year degree. Between 2000-2018 they had 7 fatalities caused by police.

Germany: Requires 2 years of training. Since 1990 they have had 267 fatalities caused by police.

USA: Requires a high school diploma and 21 weeks of training. In 2019 alone they had 1,004 fatalities caused by police.
The US requires more education and training to be a cosmetologist than a cop:

There are regional variations, but on average, the length of time to complete cosmetology training and licensing can be four to five years, not including high school. If you study part-time, it could take longer. During this time you will spend: Two years earning an associate degree.

Sometimes good policing means letting a suspect escape. When officers instead pursue a fleeing suspect and end up killing him, prosecutors can face a difficult question: Was the killing justified?

Yet another district attorney has answered this question the wrong way — revealing once again how Black lives not mattering is embedded in routine practices by police and prosecutors.

Seven law enforcement officers went to Andrew Brown Jr.’s home in Elizabeth City, N.C., to execute arrest and search warrants for nonviolent drug crimes. The cops found Brown in his car; 44 seconds later, they shot him dead — in the back of the head......

What’s clear is that this death did not need to happen. Two officers positioned themselves in front of Brown’s car, and then used their vulnerability as an excuse to kill him

. Womble claimed the police were “duty-bound to stand their ground, carry through on the performance of their duties and take Andrew Brown into custody.”

This “dead or alive” mentality may be the law of old western movies, but the Constitution does not support it.

Just because someone resists arrest or tries to escape police custody does not entitle the police to kill. The law requires police act reasonably, in light of all the circumstances, including the crime the person is suspected of, and the danger he poses.

The reasonable thing, in this case, would be for the cops to get out of the way and let Brown escape. They could have arrested him another time; they knew where he lived and what his car looked like.

Brown was wanted for nonviolent drug offenses, hardly a crime that justifies killing a suspect to prevent him from escaping.......

Below are a couple comments from this article

first time hearing about the high IQ thing

we all know that police departments are hiring people they shouldn’t but is there any truth to them turning away people they shouldn’t?

interesting on the amount of training too
==============

I'm glad the officer was sorry, and it seems he was sincere about it.

But this brings a big problem into focus: Police departments are not hiring the best or brightest, often on purpose. I have read that most of them don't want people who have high IQs. And many want strong personalities who will get tough easily, and some of those personalities are violent rage time bombs just waiting to go off.

Forget "defund the police"; it will be better to overhaul our police forces and replace all the bad apples with responsible, intelligent, and humane officers of he law.

Today's ranks contain many newspaper headlines just waiting to happen. And behind those headlines are always unqualified individuals who cost their jurisdictions untold millions in compensatory damages, as well as pain and tragedy in the community at large.
========================

They literally don't want cops to be too intelligent. Not too long ago a guy was rejected by the police academy for scoring too high on the IQ test. He sued and lost.

Norway: Requires 3 years of training. Between 2002-2016 they had 4 fatalities caused by police.

Finland: Requires a 3-year degree. Between 2000-2018 they had 7 fatalities caused by police.

Germany: Requires 2 years of training. Since 1990 they have had 267 fatalities caused by police.

USA: Requires a high school diploma and 21 weeks of training. In 2019 alone they had 1,004 fatalities caused by police.
The US requires more education and training to be a cosmetologist than a cop:
It’s an understandable theory
but at this point a theory in search of evidence

I tend to think it's more that high IQ people probably avoid the profession entirely. :scratch:
Yeah there are a slew of sociological sand traps to get through before getting to that conclusion
Doesn’t make it wrong, there’s just a lot of occams razors navigate first

Yeah there are a slew of sociological sand traps to get through before getting to that conclusion
Doesn’t make it wrong, there’s just a lot of occams razors navigate first
Indeed. I have no idea what their hiring practices are, but, even though I was somewhat interested in the idea of it when I was a kid, as I grew older and learned more, the idea of being a cop pretty much disappeared.

Woman Allegedly Shot by Off-Duty Cop While on Her Way to Hospital​

he conflict reportedly continued with the two racing past each other in their cars, until Murray stopped and confronted him. Murray, in pain, clutched her side as they argued, and soon, she said, the man pulled out a gun.

"When I turned around to run back to my truck and get out of there, I just heard pop pop pop pop and all I could do was bend over and duck," she explained. She added that he didn't identify himself as a police officer until after he started firing the weapon.
according to Murray, the officer only identified himself as such once he saw the crowd of neighbors that had gathered at the scene. "At the time, when he's looking back and seeing these guys recording, he turned around, then he took out his badge," she said.

case where the shooting in the moment was justified but there was failure to deescalate that could have prevented the moment from happening
======================================

An independent review backs a D.C. police finding that an officer’s fatal shooting of a young man in September was justified but says mistakes made by police before the deadly encounter unnecessarily put officers and the suspect in danger.

The report into the Sept. 2 shooting of 18-year-old Deon Kay in Southeast Washington also found supervision of the department’s Crime Suppression Team, which was involved in the encounter, to be lacking, and it questions the thoroughness of the police investigation.

The review, commissioned by the District’s auditor, Kathleen Patterson, is the latest effort by her office to scrutinize deadly encounters involving police and how the department investigates them. An audit completed in March of other incidents reached similar conclusions.

The audit made public Tuesday found Officer Alexander Alvarez had a split second to react upon confronting Kay as the young man ran toward the officer and raised his right hand while holding a gun. The two were about eight feet apart, the report says, and Kay threw the gun away about the same time the officer fired.

Although Alvarez — among a group of officers that tracked down Kay and others after seeing them with firearms on Instagram Live — had been justified in firing, “effective policing in the moments leading up to that split second may well have prevented that split second from arriving,” Patterson wrote in a letter to city officials....

The George Floyd Justice in Policing Act, passed by the House in March, faces opposition in the Senate because of a provision to eliminate a legal doctrine called “qualified immunity.”

Critics say it shields police officers from personal liability for their actions, while supporters call it essential to officers’ ability to do their job.

There are strong arguments for and against qualified immunity, but its implications for police accountability are complex and poorly understood.

Myth No. 1
Qualified immunity is what lets 
officers off the hook.

A segment on Sam Seder’s show, “The Majority Report,” was titled “Qualified Immunity: Cops’ License To Kill.” The New Mexico ACLU describes qualified immunity as a “blank check” for police misconduct.

Qualified immunity does protect officers from being sued, but it has no bearing on criminal prosecution.

Police officers who use excessive force, though, often escape criminal charges or avoid conviction. An analysis of a database of officer arrests and convictions finds that 44 percent of on-duty officers arrested on murder or non-negligent manslaughter charges in 2015 were convicted.

This relatively low conviction rate — substantially below the 70 percent rate for all felony murder charges nationwide — is what makes qualified immunity such a contentious topic.........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom