Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (11 Viewers)

MONROE, La. (AP) — More than a year and a half after Louisiana state troopers were captured on body camera video brutalizing Black motorist Ronald Greene during his fatal arrest, police brass were still trying to blame his death on a car crash at the end of a high-speed chase.

Police officials quietly commissioned a study late last year into the role the crash could have played in Greene’s 2019 death, part of a behind-the-scenes bid to reduce the agency’s legal liability, according to internal documents obtained by The Associated Press.

The effort came despite the footage showing troopers stunning, punching and dragging the unarmed man — and one trooper’s admission that he bashed him in the head with a flashlight, a use of deadly force not previously reported.

The documents, which also detail how four troopers grossly exaggerated Greene’s threat to justify their uses of force, provide the fullest account yet of the deadly May 10, 2019, arrest. And they show the extent to which top brass and troopers alike sought to cover up or explain away actions in a case that is now the focus of a federal civil rights investigation…….

Criminal justice professor Stinson said the #MeToo movement that has shaken other industries in recent years has not hit law enforcement because of a heavily ingrained police subculture.

"The culture of policing overrides a lot of this, and it's going to be very, very difficult to make meaningful reform," Sinson said. "It's a closed-door society, it's an us-versus-them mentality. There's a blue wall of silence in many places."

"Sexual misconduct is such a normalized part of the police subculture in many places across the country," he added. "It's just business as usual."

@tomwaits is it ok to try to address both the sexism/misogyny and police reform or nah?
:unsure:

This is tragic...

This is why the "good guy with a gun" premise is so wrong when it comes to mass shootings. The responding police officers don't know who is who and when adrenaline takes over, common sense goes out the window.

This is why the "good guy with a gun" premise is so wrong when it comes to mass shootings. The responding police officers don't know who is who and when adrenaline takes over, common sense goes out the window.
Agreed, but the guy didn't do himself any favors by picking up the assault weapon. IDK how it all went down, but if I'm there, once hear the sirens and know the cops are close, I'm dropping all weapons and getting my hands in clear view then following all commands as best as possible.

Too much Hollywood thinking that the cops will magically know who was the good guy and bad guy.

Agreed, but the guy didn't do himself any favors by picking up the assault weapon. IDK how it all went down, but if I'm there, once hear the sirens and know the cops are close, I'm dropping all weapons and getting my hands in clear view then following all commands as best as possible.

Too much Hollywood thinking that the cops will magically know who was the good guy and bad guy.
Seems you’re holding him to a higher standard than the trained officer

Seems you’re holding him to a higher standard than the trained officer
Not at all. The officers actions should be investigated and if they were in error addressed.

I'm just saying that a man walking around an active shooting area where officers were shot needs to understand he looks like a threat carrying a weapon. Reacting normal to the officer in movement speed etc. can easily be interpreted as a threat. It should probably be taught in conceal carry classes.

That same man without a weapon with empty hands raised in full view, not so much a threat.

Not at all. The officers actions should be investigated and if they were in error addressed.

I'm just saying that a man walking around an active shooting area where officers were shot needs to understand he looks like a threat carrying a weapon. Reacting normal to the officer in movement speed etc. can easily be interpreted as a threat. It should probably be taught in conceal carry classes.

That same man without a weapon with empty hands raised in full view, not so much a threat.
I understand one hundred percent what you are saying. The only issue is the guy was shot for simply holding a weapon. Granted, the ongoing, unfolding event. However, simply holding a weapon is not grounds for being shot, unless he was pointing it. I don't know if commands were given or what, but this surely doesn't go well for the "armed good citizen" lifespan.

Angela D. Alsobrooks, the leader of one of the most powerful majority-Black communities in the country, has said that amid this national racial justice reckoning, she wants her county to be a model for police reform.

She hired a new chief, assembled a police reform work group, invested in mental health and paid a historic settlement of $20 million to the family of a man killed by an officer in the Prince George’s County Police Department.

But behind the scenes, her administration has been vigorously fighting an attempt by some of its own officers to hold that same police department accountable in court — and in the process authorized the spending of at least $17.6 million of taxpayer money, according to invoices obtained through a records request and reviewed by The Washington Post.

For 2½ years, the county has defended the department and three White police leaders who are named in a federal lawsuit brought by a group of Black and Latino officers alleging systemic discrimination on the force. Racism against officers of color, their complaint argues, has ultimately harmed the county’s residents — more than 80 percent of whom are Black and Latino.

Now, as the cost to defend the department continues to mount with no indication of when litigation will end, lawmakers and residents are increasingly pressing Alsobrooks to settle. They’re frustrated, saying that the cost, including millions of dollars in legal fees paid to Venable LLP, the private D.C. law firm the county hired, contradicts promises of change and undermines the ability to pay for reform.

“I have problems with how much we are spending to defend something that doesn’t really seem defensible,” said county council member Jolene Ivey (D-District 5). “We are a Black county. How are we not doing more to stand up for Black officers, and Black people in general?”..........

Angela D. Alsobrooks, the leader of one of the most powerful majority-Black communities in the country, has said that amid this national racial justice reckoning, she wants her county to be a model for police reform.

She hired a new chief, assembled a police reform work group, invested in mental health and paid a historic settlement of $20 million to the family of a man killed by an officer in the Prince George’s County Police Department.

But behind the scenes, her administration has been vigorously fighting an attempt by some of its own officers to hold that same police department accountable in court — and in the process authorized the spending of at least $17.6 million of taxpayer money, according to invoices obtained through a records request and reviewed by The Washington Post.

For 2½ years, the county has defended the department and three White police leaders who are named in a federal lawsuit brought by a group of Black and Latino officers alleging systemic discrimination on the force. Racism against officers of color, their complaint argues, has ultimately harmed the county’s residents — more than 80 percent of whom are Black and Latino.

Now, as the cost to defend the department continues to mount with no indication of when litigation will end, lawmakers and residents are increasingly pressing Alsobrooks to settle. They’re frustrated, saying that the cost, including millions of dollars in legal fees paid to Venable LLP, the private D.C. law firm the county hired, contradicts promises of change and undermines the ability to pay for reform.

“I have problems with how much we are spending to defend something that doesn’t really seem defensible,” said county council member Jolene Ivey (D-District 5). “We are a Black county. How are we not doing more to stand up for Black officers, and Black people in general?”..........

That's insane. The demographic data in the link says more about the problem than anything.

I understand one hundred percent what you are saying. The only issue is the guy was shot for simply holding a weapon. Granted, the ongoing, unfolding event. However, simply holding a weapon is not grounds for being shot, unless he was pointing it. I don't know if commands were given or what, but this surely doesn't go well for the "armed good citizen" lifespan.
You are right. He had every right to hold a weapon. But it's it worth being dead right?

Situational awareness is as important in a city as it is in the wild. If you're not aware of that lion, you just might be lunch. If you're standing around a cop shooting holding an assault rifle, you just might be mistaken for the shooter especially since the officer has no idea the threat has ended. He sees a guy on the ground with no weapon because you're holding it. A split second decision had to be made and the assumption isn't going to be that you took out the threat when you make yourself appear to be the threat.

You are right. He had every right to hold a weapon. But it's it worth being dead right?

Situational awareness is as important in a city as it is in the wild. If you're not aware of that lion, you just might be lunch. If you're standing around a cop shooting holding an assault rifle, you just might be mistaken for the shooter especially since the officer has no idea the threat has ended. He sees a guy on the ground with no weapon because you're holding it. A split second decision had to be made and the assumption isn't going to be that you took out the threat when you make yourself appear to be the threat.
Bad thought, but are we sure he picked it up? Who else saw this besides the cops?

Bad thought, but are we sure he picked it up? Who else saw this besides the cops?
The linked article said it, but it remains to be seen if it'll be challenged. I get why folks would ask given the current status of policing in this nation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom