Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (5 Viewers)

I feel for the family
==============

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The mother of a Black man fatally shot by a white former Nashville officer sobbed, screamed and knocked over a courtroom lectern Friday as she begged a judge not to accept a plea deal she says was struck in secret without her knowledge, a chaotic scene that briefly delayed the hearing before the judge accepted the agreement.

Former officer Andrew Delke pleaded guilty to manslaughter over the death of Daniel Hambrick, 25, in 2018 as part of an agreement with prosecutors.

Delke will serve a three-year prison sentence. As part of the agreement, he won’t pursue parole or appeal the case. However, Delke’s defense team said he will likely serve a year and a half in jail with standard credits.

The hearing turned volatile as Hambrick’s mother, Vickie, gave a lengthy statement as family members and others applauded. Other supporters, outside the courtroom in the hallway, banged on the door in support. Delke’s family sat on the other side of the courtroom with security guards.

“I hate you,” Vickie Hambrick screamed over and over again, while also yelling out profanities, directing some at Delke and prosecutors………

I love how news stories cast a shadow on victims by writing things like "allegedly unarmed."

I love how news stories cast a shadow on victims by writing things like "allegedly unarmed."
Looks like they used allegedly throughout the article. If they were to just say “unarmed teens” are they not shadowing public perception in the other direction? I’m all for holding our media accountable but we have to paint with scrutiny both ways, no?

Looks like they used allegedly throughout the article. If they were to just say “unarmed teens” are they not shadowing public perception in the other direction? I’m all for holding our media accountable but we have to paint with scrutiny both ways, no?
You don’t imply probable cause at all unless there is evidence- just say 4 teens

That’s not much of a story then. If I’m reading it, that is one of the questions I want asked. If they pointed a weapon at him then it isn’t much of a story at all.
were did you get 'if they pointed a weapon'?
all i read was that the off-duty cop pursued them bc he THOUGHT they MIGHT have been involved in A crime

There is a report that the kids were unarmed. That greatly changes how egregious the act was for this cop. I think that info is critical to the story. But you want to leave it out? If that isn’t pertinent to the story then there is almost no story here.

There is a report that the kids were unarmed. That greatly changes how egregious the act was for this cop. I think that info is critical to the story. But you want to leave it out? If that isn’t pertinent to the story then there is almost no story here.
but what in the story leads to any question about the kids having weapons of any sort?
just don't even introduce the idea in the first place unless there is accusation
if the reporter feels compelled (and they have heard a report) they can add "no signs of a crime were evident". but why ADD it to the story if it wasn't part of the statements?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom