Police Shootings / Possible Abuse Threads [merged] (3 Viewers)

When Antonio May, 32, arrived at the Fulton County Jail in Atlanta in September 2018, guards there allegedly shouted that it was “Taser Tuesday.”

Earlier that day, May was arrested for throwing rocks at a building and was placed in a general holding cell at the jail, despite him testing positive for amphetamines and being deemed suicidal by a medical technician, according to a lawsuit his family later filed.

In the cell, May took off his clothes and exposed himself. In response, six deputies went into May’s cell, with one using a Taser on him without warning, according to the lawsuit.

A confrontation ensued, after which all six deputies Tasered, beat and pepper-sprayed him, according to the lawsuit. Then, the deputies allegedly placed May in a restraining chair, covered his head in a “spit mask” — a mask used to protect police from bodily fluids — and tried to wash the pepper spray off him by placing a water hose to his face.

Minutes later, May was dead, “laying in a pool of his own blood,” his family’s lawsuit states.

Now, more than three years later, a grand jury has indicted those six deputies on five charges, including felony murder, aggravated assault, battery and violation of oath of office by a public officer.

The officers named in the indictment are Arron Cook, Guito DeLa Cruz, Omar Jackson, Jason Roache, Kenesia Strowder and William Whitaker…….

(CNN)When Philadelphia's mayor signs landmark legislation as soon as this week, the city will become the first major US city to ban police from stopping drivers for low-level traffic violations -- stops that studies show target Black drivers at disproportionately higher rates.

The Driving Equality Bill, passed 14-2 by the city council on October 14, categorizes certain motor vehicle code violations as "primary violations," which allow officers to pull people over in the name of public safety, and "secondary violations" that don't meet the criteria for a lawful traffic stop, according to the office of Councilmember Isaiah Thomas, who authored the bill.

The bill will take effect 120 days after Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney signs it into law, which his office said he intends to do…….

It's a good idea on the whole, but I don't agree with some of it. Why is "no brake lights" not a safety issue warranting a stop and ticket? Are tail lights simply informational or essential? And I'm on the fence about the "smell of marijuana" thing. First, I think marijuana should be legal, as long as you aren't smoking while driving. It should be treated the same as alcohol, i.e. open container/smoldering joint in ash tray. If you see smoke in the vehicle and smell marijuana, you should be able to test them just like a sobriety test.

It's a good idea on the whole, but I don't agree with some of it. Why is "no brake lights" not a safety issue warranting a stop and ticket? Are tail lights simply informational or essential? And I'm on the fence about the "smell of marijuana" thing. First, I think marijuana should be legal, as long as you aren't smoking while driving. It should be treated the same as alcohol, i.e. open container/smoldering joint in ash tray. If you see smoke in the vehicle and smell marijuana, you should be able to test them just like a sobriety test.
both are fishing expeditions - there's no 'burden of proof' on the police - especially since both are easy ways to gin up quota totals which many departments still have

both are fishing expeditions - there's no 'burden of proof' on the police - especially since both are easy ways to gin up quota totals which many departments still have
I understand that, and think quotas should be erradicated, but I still think the safety of the public needs to be taken into consideration. Did you know that Troopers can pull you over if they think your tire pressure is too low? Do you know how many times I've seen people brought in because the intial stop of "no license plate light" was used and they found more? There are a lot of little, non-safety items that can be taken off the "pull them over" list. As much as I would like there to be fewer stops, there has to be a line where public safety is/is not compromised.

I also want to share a little trick the deputies in a certain county in MS use as an excuse to pull you over....they will haul arse right up to your bumper, then back off a bit and wait for you to get so nervous that your tires touch the white line, then pull you over. I'm sure they aren't the only ones that do this.

I also want to share a little trick the deputies in a certain county in MS use as an excuse to pull you over....they will haul arse right up to your bumper, then back off a bit and wait for you to get so nervous that your tires touch the white line, then pull you over. I'm sure they aren't the only ones that do this.

At that point, why wait until the tires touch? Just pull the guy over and say they touched. I mean, you're already a d-bag, just own it.

We all know the "tail light is out" farce is what they usually use for unlawful stops. I put it in quotes becuase that is usually not the real reason they are pulling someone over, and usually its not really out.

i don't think we want the police to be the arbiters of the 4th amendment
we need to narrow their ability to interpret the law not widen it - or put them through several years of training, not a few weeks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom