Political Hardball - The asymmetric response of the GOP compared to Democrats (1 Viewer)

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/675388201/politics-with-amy-walter

I can't embed the audio, but if you scroll down to find this, listen to the 45 min interview. It's very smart. The first 12 minutes cover the main part of the theory.

"JANUARY 11, 2019
Playing Dirty or Just Plain Playing — The Game of Political Hardball"

Since the midterm elections, we've seen a number of examples of hardball tactics. In Wisconsin, Republicans stripped power from the newly elected Governor Democrat Tony Evers. Republicans in Michigan tried a similar maneuver, but the bills were vetoed by the outgoing governor, also a Republican. But it's not just Republicans using aggressive political tactics. Democrats in New Jersey proposed a constitutional amendment for redistricting that would essentially solidify their party's control of the state legislature for the next decade. The idea prompted a mass backlash, notably from folks from within the same party, like the state's Democratic Governor Phil Murphy. In Alabama, a group of Democratic tech experts used deceptive social media tactics similar to the Russians in the 2016 presidential elections to influence the Special Senate race last year on behalf of now Senator Doug Jones, according to a report from The New York Times. So, is all this wheeling and dealing just politics as usual or has something fundamentally changed?
Basically, it's how Republicans tend to win by playing hardball and don't seem to care as much about the optics. They'd mess with government procedure about the debt ceiling, when no one used to care. Shutting down the gov't. Both sides do it, but it's not symmetrical. Meaning the GOP is far more willing to play hardball and break government.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Indeed. And it’s not particularly striking given that the “right” perspective, ideologically, focuses on the prerogative of the individual, with the government as the organized means of a purpose that is necessary but ultimately collateral - versus the “left”’s viewpoint that a society requires a collective, in the form of a government, to advance the common interest.

Academically, each has its merit. In practice, it means that government is less meangingful to the “right” (than the left) and, hence, easier to cast as a pawn in these debates. In reality, the role of government is closer to the left view than the right’s, so when government is immobilized, the impact is greater than the “right” calculates.

Reality almost always wins.

Last edited:

mt15

Subscribing Member
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I also read where Republicans have named the members to all the House committees save one, the House Intelligence Committee. Why? Because that is the Committee that intends to use subpoena powers to bring to light some misdeeds that were glossed over when Republicans had control. Since the Committee hasn’t formally been convened, it is powerless to actually do anything. Three weeks and counting....

(Hopefully I got that right, going from memory here)

UriUT

Veteran
Reaction score
More fuel to this topic:

https://www.npr.org/programs/fresh-air/2018/11/01/662858815

This just isn't a story of ideology, it's also a story of kind of attitude and style and tactics. Most of the congressmen that Gingrich helped elect or kind of gave power to were more conservative, but they were also — for lack of a better word — meaner and more aggressive and more combative and more confrontational. ...
I know from personal experience that the repub base won't care a lick. The most evil things in this world are dems and liberals. Fox News and talk radio have taken hold of them and I can't see how they can break free. Why this topic isn't discussed more than some random actor criticizing brady supporting trump is beyond me. Lies don't matter I suppose because we all lie. Traitors aren't a big deal anymore because they are against the dems.

I also read where Republicans have named the members to all the House committees save one, the House Intelligence Committee. Why? Because that is the Committee that intends to use subpoena powers to bring to light some misdeeds that were glossed over when Republicans had control. Since the Committee hasn’t formally been convened, it is powerless to actually do anything. Three weeks and counting....

I had to look this up. Yep, the dems haven't yet sound the alarms, but this tactic is highly suspicious.

crosswatt

Bulldawg was my friend
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
break government
This is the stated goal of the GOP since Reagan beat Bush in the 1980 primary. Jimmy Carter and government regulation/interference were seen as the reason for the economic struggles, and the changes Reagan made were the proper catalyst for the time to invigorate the financial state of the country.

Since it worked then, it is seen as the thing that will work now, despite all data to the contrary. But the rank and file of the party are still looking for that to be the status quo, and for all of the wasteful and usless government agencies to be dismantled by whatever means necessary.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score

Supposedly they are naming them today. McCarthy (I think) spouted some nonsense this weekend about how it was the Dems fault because they weren't organized or.. .something - I couldn't quite make out what his point was. But (ir)regardless, they should be named today or tomorrow. Supposedly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom