Politics Board? This could be the solution to S.R. Problems? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I was wondering why this site does not have a Politics board? I mean I get directed to another forum Mad about Politics Or something like that. Wouldn’t the solution to get all the politics off the SSF and EE boards is to open or reopen an S.R. Politics board? Otherwise Politics will always be clogging the SSF and EE boards. Just an Idea to solve this problem. You could probably convert the Lockerroom into a Poltics board for the next 2 months to see if it works. Anyway just an idea.

Maybe give it another try with some strong rules?

We had strong rules, which was also part of the problem. Enforcing those rules takes time and effort from the all volunteer staff and often left their integrity unfairly questioned. The board itself was generating tremendous animosity and driving people away from SR.

The first and primary goal of this site is a community for Saints fans. There was a time where political discussions helped tighten the bonds of community. That’s no longer true, here or anywhere else. Anything that detracts from the primary goal of a friendly community for Saints fans has to be sacrificed for the greater good.

For years my name was synonymous with political debate on this site, and even I tired of the vitriolic turn it took. Removing it from the site was absolutely the right thing to do.

We had strong rules, which was also part of the problem. Enforcing those rules takes time and effort from the all volunteer staff and often left their integrity unfairly questioned. The board itself was generating tremendous animosity and driving people away from SR.

The first and primary goal of this site is a community for Saints fans. There was a time where political discussions helped tighten the bonds of community. That’s no longer true, here or anywhere else. Anything that detracts from the primary goal of a friendly community for Saints fans has to be sacrificed for the greater good.

For years my name was synonymous with political debate on this site, and even I tired of the vitriolic turn it took. Removing it from the site was absolutely the right thing to do.
Time is important.....I've noticed it getting better here with people actually making the choice to keep the political views to themselves. This site is a better site without it.

I honestly don't understand what does or doesn't constitute "politics."

It seems like society labels almost anything with two opposing views as political.

There's lots of rules and warnings on SR about the NFL protests being political, but it feels like a deliberate (yet inaccurate) classification so that the conversation gets squashed and muted. It makes me sad in a way.

I know that no minds will be changed on a message board, but these topics continually get brought up for a reason.

I don’t think posters set out to break the rules. It reminds me of how we'd get in trouble in elementary school for talking in the cafeteria line. They wanted us to wait until we got our food and sat down. But I never understood why. It was so hard NOT to talk while waiting in line for a reason. It wasn't a conscious decision. But they'd punish us as if we'd made a deliberate choice. I'm not making sense.

Anyway, I always thought one big mega "political" thread might solve the problem. Something you sticky and merge when one of the regular threads goes awry.

Maybe give it another try with some strong rules?

If posters could conduct themselves in a mature manner and show respect for others, there wouldn't be an issue. Since that isn't the case, the simplest and most obvious solution is to just keep it out of a FOOTBALL forum completely

Unfortunately there are posters who still don't have the self control to follow that simple rule which is pretty pathetic when you think about it.

Then you also have people in charge who delete and threaten to ban a poster for making a joke about letting California detach into the Pacific Ocean (which is a scientific certainty) but have no problem with people talking about wiping Florida out due to politics

It's just better off making politics off limits

I honestly don't understand what does or doesn't constitute "politics."

It seems like society labels almost anything with two opposing views as political.

There's lots of rules and warnings on SR about the NFL protests being political, but it feels like a deliberate (yet inaccurate) classification so that the conversation gets squashed and muted. It makes me sad in a way.

I know that no minds will be changed on a message board, but these topics continually get brought up for a reason.

I don’t think posters set out to break the rules. It reminds me of how we'd get in trouble in elementary school for talking in the cafeteria line. They wanted us to wait until we got our food and sat down. But I never understood why. It was so hard NOT to talk while waiting in line for a reason. It wasn't a conscious decision. But they'd punish us as if we'd made a deliberate choice. I'm not making sense.

Anyway, I always thought one big mega "political" thread might solve the problem. Something you sticky and merge when one of the regular threads goes awry.

I'd just use other platforms for that. And I kinda prefer that since on those platforms, people say what they usually say behind closed doors.

Then I get to cuss those people out and call them every name in the book in true nola fashion. And you know we have that mastered. It's so therapeutic. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'd just use other platforms for that. And I kinda prefer that since on those platforms, people say what they usually say behind closed doors.

Then I get to cuss those people out and call them every name in the book in true nola fashion. And you know we have that mastered. It's so therapeutic. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes I visit those other platforms after leaving SR with the expressed intent of releasing some cuss words into the ether. SR is a tease.

Gets me all worked up, converting my carefully chosen nouns and adjectives into bastages and WTF So then I gotta go somewhere else and let it rip.

I was wondering why this site does not have a Politics board? I mean I get directed to another forum Mad about Politics Or something like that. Wouldn’t the solution to get all the politics off the SSF and EE boards is to open or reopen an S.R. Politics board? Otherwise Politics will always be clogging the SSF and EE boards. Just an Idea to solve this problem. You could probably convert the Lockerroom into a Poltics board for the next 2 months to see if it works. Anyway just an idea.

There is a sister site for political discussion. That’s why there no board here anymore.

If posters could conduct themselves in a mature manner and show respect for others, there wouldn't be an issue. Since that isn't the case, the simplest and most obvious solution is to just keep it out of a FOOTBALL forum completely

Unfortunately there are posters who still don't have the self control to follow that simple rule which is pretty pathetic when you think about it.

Good comment! (y)

Then you also have people in charge who delete and threaten to ban a poster for making a joke about letting California detach into the Pacific Ocean (which is a scientific certainty) but have no problem with people talking about wiping Florida out due to politics

I am not familiar with the ban that you mentioned, nor do I think that someone would be banned simply for making such a comment, unless it was the final straw resulting from a pattern of behavior. However, such a post being moderated almost certainly wouldn't have anything to do with the certainty that California would eventually break off into the ocean, or the mod not getting the joke. From your summary of the event, it then would have obviously had to do with the callous wish that it would happen, and the political motivation behind it.

Did you report the post regarding wiping out Florida due to politics? If not, then how do you know that the staff let it go? The most common reaction we get from members when moderated is that type of "whatabout" allegation. We do not, and can not read every post within every thread, so assuming that we do is a wrong assumption. Report the post!

Also, how do you know what the member was banned for? Unless a mod or the banned member tells you, you don't know what all went into causing the ban. Mods generally won't discuss a user ban in public, so if the member told you, then is it prudent to simply trust that members story as fact? When moderated or banned, accusations of being moderated for innocent and/or innocuous postings are common. Over 23 years here one thing has been certain... members that are prone to misbehaving are also prone to excusing and even lying about their behavior.

That being said, if you believe that that the member in question was banned unfairly, send me a conversation message with the members username and I would be happy to look into it.

We don't always get it right. We do the best that we can. Lots of judgement calls. Sometimes the judgement is bad. I try my best to stay on top of that but I am not infallible either. We try to keep the most reasonable and intelligent members on staff, like for example, @Saint by the Bay who responded above. We all work together in the background, mods moderate mods, and infractions sometimes get reversed. Sometimes a mod doesn't work out for one reason or another and over time is removed. We aren't perfect.

Good comment! (y)

I am not familiar with the ban that you mentioned, nor do I think that someone would be banned simply for making such a comment, unless it was the final straw resulting from a pattern of behavior. However, such a post being moderated almost certainly wouldn't have anything to do with the certainty that California would eventually break off into the ocean, or the mod not getting the joke. From your summary of the event, it then would have obviously had to do with the callous wish that it would happen, and the political motivation behind it.

Did you report the post regarding wiping out Florida due to politics? If not, then how do you know that the staff let it go? The most common reaction we get from members when moderated is that type of "whatabout" allegation. We do not, and can not read every post within every thread, so assuming that we do is a wrong assumption. Report the post!

Also, how do you know what the member was banned for? Unless a mod or the banned member tells you, you don't know what all went into causing the ban. Mods generally won't discuss a user ban in public, so if the member told you, then is it prudent to simply trust that members story as fact? When moderated or banned, accusations of being moderated for innocent and/or innocuous postings are common. Over 23 years here one thing has been certain... members that are prone to misbehaving are also prone to excusing and even lying about their behavior.

That being said, if you believe that that the member in question was banned unfairly, send me a conversation message with the members username and I would be happy to look into it.

We don't always get it right. We do the best that we can. Lots of judgement calls. Sometimes the judgement is bad. I try my best to stay on top of that but I am not infallible either. We try to keep the most reasonable and intelligent members on staff, like for example, @Saint by the Bay who responded above. We all work together in the background, mods moderate mods, and infractions sometimes get reversed. Sometimes a mod doesn't work out for one reason or another and over time is removed. We aren't perfect.

Well I made the comment about California so I am very familiar with the reaction the person in question had about it and this same person liked the political post regarding Florida so I would say that it is a safe bet that they let that one go

It's just better off making politics off limits

ABD314FB-D03B-4F8F-98EF-483B6C94AF83.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom