Poll: Butter or margarine in a crawfish boil (1 Viewer)

Margarine in the crawfish boil?

• Total voters
People actually devein them? I have never done that. I dont even do it with my shrimp.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy III.

What about with shrimp? The window for perfectly cooked but still flavorful shrimp that have soaked long enough is tiny. Does butter help?

What about with shrimp? The window for perfectly cooked but still flavorful shrimp that have soaked long enough is tiny. Does butter help?

I kind of doubt it. It's like oil in pasta water, all it does it sit on the top because it's allergic to water. Anything that could impact how much the shells stick to the meat would need to be water soluble, imo.

I've been having trouble with shrimp. I get them where they peel easily but they don't have as much flavor as I'd like them to have. But whenever I try to soak them longer they become hard to peel.

Even when I use drastic measures to cool the water before soaking them.

It's not the end of the world; they're still good when they are easy to peel. Most people dip them in cockctail sauce anyway. But they seem bland to me. Just not enough soak time.

I've been having trouble with shrimp. I get them where they peel easily but they don't have as much flavor as I'd like them to have. But whenever I try to soak them longer they become hard to peel.

Even when I use drastic measures to cool the water before soaking them.

It's not the end of the world; they're still good when they are easy to peel. Most people dip them in cockctail sauce anyway. But they seem bland to me. Just not enough soak time.

shrimp are REALLY hard to make spicy without an oversoak, I always had some horseradish to the cocktail sauce and call it a day

The only possible way I can think that this horrendous abuse of crawfish or shrimp and sinful waste of butter got started was by some fancy pants poaching shrimp or other seafood in butter that's been emulsified with a small amount of water.

I think it's what a chef would ball a buerre monte or something, but it's a fine way to cook a lobster or, with garlic and seasonings, oysters, shrimp or even firm white fish.

Tossing a pound of butter into boiling water just makes foamy grease and I hear margarine is the byproduct of hog fattening.

shrimp are REALLY hard to make spicy without an oversoak, I always had some horseradish to the cocktail sauce and call it a day

The perfect shrimp berl is done using shrimp stock made with the leftover shells from previous berls. You drastically season your water with rich shrimp stock, onions, garlic and whatever you like including beer and bring it up to the boil. Then, you turn it off and let it sit until it's only warm.

Toss in a little apple cider vinegar if you're worried about peel problems and then add in your shrimp. Pull a pot of your berl liquid off to the side to later soak. Reseason.

Turn back on the fire and bring up temp. When the shrimp look like they're cooked and starting to float, water should be just to the boiling point. Kill fire and let sit. If it's a big pot, toss in a frozen 2liter coke bottle filled with water to bring down temp and then transfer into reserved cooking liquid to soak a while.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom