Poll: If You Were an NFL Player, Would You Opt-Out for 2020 Season? (1 Viewer)

If You Were an NFL Player, Would You Opt-Out for 2020 Season?

• No and wouldn't be very concerned

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • No, but would be concerned

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • May start the season but ready to walk if it gets bad

Votes: 15 13.0%
  • Yes and wouldn't second guess yourself

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • Yes, but will question choice a lot during the season

Votes: 7 6.1%

• Total voters
There is no cure and it's not going away. I also see the numbers going up but it's hard to determine if those are factual.

If I was an athlete, I would play. Too much could happen in a year of not playing and the window of opportunity decreases as I get older. JMO

I'd play. In real life I've been to work everyday since the pandemic started (exception normal off days). There were some who tried to wait out the Corona. But unfortunately Covid is going nowhere and the world doesn't stop. All we can do is be diligent in achieving safe practices. Plus id go nuts just sitting around.

I'm also high risk so is spouse and my severely dimentiad mother in law we take care of

because, the life of most nfl players is only 3 years. you can't afford to miss any seasons.

A season's worth of salary or the potential of a lifetime of issues.

We know more about concussions and other injuries. We don't know about COVID (haven't had enough time)

It stands to reason that someone would value their long term health over a short term profit.

I thought it'd be pretty transparent. There is no "playing safe" in football. Why would you sit out because of the chance of brain damage, but go back to play again and risk brain damage lol

Haha I understood what you were saying from the get go. My point is that a concussion or etc incurred by football is very clearly different at least in what we don't yet understand in that same damage from this disease.

AKA, there are good reasons to play football knowing you could get a concussion vs. sit out the season because of a rapidly spreading disease of which we know very little about.

What if you opt out and just end up catching covid from the papa johns guy who’s delivering the Shaq-aroni to your house?

I think the choice would also be heavily influenced by the contract situation. For a player near the end of their career, with one year of guaranteed money left on their contract, it might make sense to make that money next year and play it safer on the virus.....BUT, they might be in a higher tax rate bracket next year also.

I had not considered that last point yet. Not a huge percentage difference in income taxes, but top rate could go from 37% to 39.6% and Social Security taxes of an additional 6.2% over $400K of income. Say a player has one year left on a guaranteed contract of $10 million. They opt out and take the money next year, there's a potential increase in taxes of over $800,000 next year. For a player on their "last year" it might make sense to play this year. Just running the numbers not the politics.

Too easy..

Yup.. life or death.. & i'd take life .. one sweat granual, one spit, one contact with the wrong player could end it all.. 5-10-20mil a year ??.. smh.. what good is money if your not around to spend it.. I mean once them lights turn off that's end game, no more bargaining, that's it.. no thank you.. cya next season! (maybe, as a player speaking of course..)

NW.

Last edited:
Boy do I have some news for you about football.
My 28 year old son in law caught it 6 weeks ago and still hasn't fully recovered sense of taste or smell/ That's neurological
damage and I pray everyday it isn't permanent

I've been working my job for a fraction of these NFL players pay. A chance at life changing money, yeah I'm in.

Last edited:
Never been a big Deion fan since he played for 3 of the Teams I truly despise, but I do agree with this.

Attachments

• 543C9F5C-8849-4161-A08F-63D9FE024C24.jpeg
    543C9F5C-8849-4161-A08F-63D9FE024C24.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 6
Never been a big Deion fan since he played for 3 of the Teams I truly despise, but I do agree with this.

What’s the point of that? They made a decision for the health of themselves and their families - and somehow it means that they think they’re bigger than the game? Am I missing something?

Seems unnecessary and likely off-base to me.

What’s the point of that? They made a decision for the health of themselves and their families - and somehow it means that they think they’re bigger than the game? Am I missing something?

Seems unnecessary and likely off-base to me.
No it means the game will always go on. Just as we’ve seen every year, when one player goes down and another steps in and shines sometimes it’s hard to get your spot back.

Let's see, in my 20s and best shape of my life should I be scared of virus with a .02 % fatality rate, hmmm

I can understand anyone who wants to opt out. Especially the older guys who dont really need the paycheck and might retire in a year or two anyway. But if I was a younger player especially if hadn’t gotten that big payday yet, I’d probably play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom