Poll on Drew Brees (rank as all time Saints QB) {merged} (1 Viewer)

Is Drew Brees one of the best Saints QB's ever?

• Yes, he should be mentioned with the best of our former leaders.

Votes: 311 96.9%
  • No, he's not the calibre of Jeff Blake or maybe Archie Manning yet. Give it time.

Votes: 10 3.1%

• Total voters
Healing shoulder and all...he's definitely up there.

watching drew command the offense is like nothing i have seen...of course, i was not around to watch archie play....the dude reads defenses so well....he throws only to the open guys...i think he is definately worth mentioning in that catergory....after a few years and a couple of rings, we will say he is the best QB the saints ever had

:ezbill:

Not just what he's done here but when you combine San Diego with here you see what he's doing now isn't a fluke and he really is as good as he seems. So yes, he should be mentioned with the best we've had.

The poll is currently running 18-0 in favor of him being mentioned in the short list (including Jeff Blake, our former greatest quarterback ever). So in the followup poll, the question would go something like, "Is Drew Brees our best quarterback ever?" In my mind, it's too early to say if he can achieve the level of regular season success enjoyed by former greats Bobby Hebert and Jeff Blake, or if he can get us past the first round of the playoffs (former sometimes-great Aaron Brooks) or if he can just get us in a position to win games (Archie Manning, Jim "Chris" Everett) without a whole lot of actual success.

:shrug:

TPS

I'm not understanding why Jeff Blake is being mentioned in the same category as Archie Manning. Is it sarcasm? The guy played half a season for us, with average stats.

I'm not understanding why Jeff Blake is being mentioned in the same category as Archie Manning. Is it sarcasm? The guy played half a season for us, with average stats.

I think it is just the refusal of some fans to recognize what Aaron Brooks did while he was here. IMO it would have been better off to ask if Brees could be considered with Archie Manning as the Saints best QB ever.

I think he has to do more than win 6 games before anybody should consider putting him in the same sentence as all time Saint and Archie Manning. Could he be there? No doubt, he could easily go down as the Saints best QB ever but I think we should let it happen first.

Well, if you're gonna mention Jeff Blake, who only started 11 games (finishing 10, winning 7), then yes, you have to mention Drew Brees already.

Man I hope I live to see a day where a guy has to play a full season to be considered an all-time great.....A team where a guy has to at least break a sweat to become our all-time leading rusher or receiver.

Because he was a true team leader, team player, and he won 70% of his games.

I take it that it's meant as a joke then. At least I hope it's a joke. Jeff Blake...one of the top 2 Saints Qbs of all-time? C'mon...the Saints have had a bad history...but not THAT bad.

Because he was a true team leader, team player, and he won 70% of his games.

It really was a shame that Haslett never gave him a shot after his injury. Training camp the next season was obviously tilted in AB's favor.

I think he should certainly be mentioned with and probably above Blake. In the end, Blake only played in around 12 games with the team and I don't think the offense ever moved like it is now under Blake. The offense was only really explosive in 2001 and the early part of 2002, with Brooks. Clearly, it all went downhill for Brooks after around mid-season in 2002.

Obviously Brees is a better leader than Brooks, but it is close with Blake. At this point, I would put Brees above Blake, but still behind Manning. But, if he continues to play like this and ends up with at least one playoff win, he jumps over Archie in my mind.

Edit: And I think Jim Everette is a glaring omission from this list. He was a very good QB with the Saints, the problem is we had no defense at that time. My overall ranking is as follows:

1. Manning
2. Brees
3. Jim Everette
4. Brooks (Mostly because of the playoff win and 1 1/2 really good years
followed by a horribly fast decline)
5. Blake
6. Hebert

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom