Poll: What will Saints do with K Garrett Hartley? (1 Viewer)

What will Saints do with K Garrett Hartley?

• Still keep Carney and not let Hartley play until next season

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Keep Carney and release or trade Hartley to another team

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Keep Hartley and let Carney go after this year

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • Keep both Carney and Hartley and let them both go after the PK job

Votes: 14 25.0%

• Total voters
You forgot, "Keep Hartley and release Carney before the end of this season."

This is what I would've voted for. Actually, I'd release Carney right now.

If they decide to sign one of the FB's that were brought in then someone will have to get cut.

This is what I would've voted for. Actually, I'd release Carney right now.

I think you keep Carney til the roster really dictates that you can't anymore. Ideally, get at least get through Atlanta and then work Hartley in during the Panthers game with Carney still on the roster. If Hartley looks good, start him the next week and then you can let Carney go after Hartley's second game. If Hartley isn't solid, you've got to keep Carney.

Ideally. Roster moves on other positions may prevent that. But I'm pretty sure that Hartley's going to be solid and Carney will be gone by Thanksgiving. He could be gone tomorrow if the roster dictates it - if Hartley is killing it in practice.

This is just my opinion, but how I think it will play out:

Monday there will be no change Carney will kick and Hartley will be inactive. Monday night will be too big of a stage to make any changes.

Barring further injury or roster spot issues Hartley & Carney are both active for the Carolina game and Hartley gets the kicks unless there is a game winner or some real pressure kick.

St. Louis game Hartley is active and Carney is inactive. And if he is solid in the Carolina & St. Louis game he remains the kicker.

But, what may make me think we stay with Carney all year is there is no cold weather outdoor games left on the schedule besides maybe Washington. And if the Saints can get home field throughout the playoffs Carney should be solid from up to 45 yards in every game which would only be about a 6-7 yard difference than Hartley.

I think you keep Carney til the roster really dictates that you can't anymore. Ideally, get at least get through Atlanta and then work Hartley in during the Panthers game with Carney still on the roster. If Hartley looks good, start him the next week and then you can let Carney go after Hartley's second game. If Hartley isn't solid, you've got to keep Carney.

Ideally. Roster moves on other positions may prevent that. But I'm pretty sure that Hartley's going to be solid and Carney will be gone by Thanksgiving. He could be gone tomorrow if the roster dictates it - if Hartley is killing it in practice.

Agreed. I'm all for letting Hartley back in on the action as soon as possible. Carney was only brought in to cover Hartley's suspension time and Hartley is the Saints long-term kicker. I don't know how's he's been doing in practice but he needs to seem some game snaps soon. Maybe not this weekend, unless we blow the Falcons out of the Dome, then bring him in for some XP's.

Hartley's in and it's only a matter of time till Carney's out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom