Poor people and welfare... some myths (1 Viewer)

Ken-Bob

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
That says it better than anything else I've ever read or even thought of.

Geldo

Dome Patrol disciple
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Great article. Thanks for sharing.

More insight in this piece than in a million political leaflets, sadly the demonisation of the poor and disadvantaged will continue unabated because let's face it they rarely vote and they can't hire high-priced lobbyists to fight their cause.

OP
the-commish

the-commish

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
The fact that there was one thumbs down on the article proves that there are still people living in the alternate universe. In other words, "I'm going to red thumb it; it's true but I can still deny it."

SUGrad03

All-Pro
Reaction score
Insightful article, I think it explains some misconceptions about people on .gov aid. I have no problem helping the elderly and disabled, that's what any civilized society should do. Any of us could be one heart beat or accident away from needed assistance. You still have to acknowledge that there are leeches who remain in the system from generation to generation. My wife was mentoring a low income (no income) young lady to try to motivate her to break the cycle and provide a better life for her child. She was an able bodied, weed smokin HS drop out getting food stamps, free phone, free housing, and free GED training. She wouldn't even get out of bed to attend her 1000 GED class. My wife would see "hiring" signs around town and set up job interviews for her, she always had some excuse for not showing up. My wife finally gave up; I know this case is a small percentage of the people on public assistance, but how many millions can be saved by getting the dead weight out of the system?

There seems to be no problem with politicians wanting to go after firearms that are responsible for 2-4% of deaths; let them go after the 2-4% of the leeches as well. I also think that once someone is in the system, their monthly allocation should be fixed. It's ridiculous that they would get more money for having more kids. Stop!! Stop having kids that you can't afford to feed.

BuffaloSaint

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I just read this on facebook and was coming here to post. I almost spit my drink out when it got to the picture from the WSJ.

Anteros77

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I don't actually disagree with anything from the article...but I'm not sure that citing cracked.com is generally the best way to support your political arguments.

TechDawg09

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'm just glad someone finally called John Fleming a dumb ******* ^^^^^^^^
EDITED FOR LANGUAGE

Last edited by a moderator:

seandroog

USFL superstar!
Reaction score
I don't actually disagree with anything from the article...but I'm not sure that citing cracked.com is generally the best way to support your political arguments.
Cracked has actually turned into a pretty smart site. They're probably on the level with a Jon Stewart, accept that they don't always talk politics. Their name just makes them sound more ridiculous than they are.

They do a pretty good job of linking articles to their claims.

I try to read them daily. I don't know who here was brought up believing that alcohol kills brain cells. Something that was hammered into me as a child. If not for cracked I would have kept believing that.

Ken-Bob

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Insightful article, I think it explains some misconceptions about people on .gov aid. I have no problem helping the elderly and disabled, that's what any civilized society should do. Any of us could be one heart beat or accident away from needed assistance. You still have to acknowledge that there are leeches who remain in the system from generation to generation. My wife was mentoring a low income (no income) young lady to try to motivate her to break the cycle and provide a better life for her child. She was an able bodied, weed smokin HS drop out getting food stamps, free phone, free housing, and free GED training. She wouldn't even get out of bed to attend her 1000 GED class. My wife would see "hiring" signs around town and set up job interviews for her, she always had some excuse for not showing up. My wife finally gave up; I know this case is a small percentage of the people on public assistance, but how many millions can be saved by getting the dead weight out of the system?

There seems to be no problem with politicians wanting to go after firearms that are responsible for 2-4% of deaths; let them go after the 2-4% of the leeches as well. I also think that once someone is in the system, their monthly allocation should be fixed. It's ridiculous that they would get more money for having more kids. Stop!! Stop having kids that you can't afford to feed.
The one thing the article tries to point out, but is oft missed, is the actual cost of enforcement. The simple fact is that there will always be people who "fall through the cracks" of any system. There will be people who don't get the assistance they truly need and others who will get things they don't at all deserve. So the real question is: what is the cost of clamping down on those 2.4% that tend to "fall up through the cracks" (get things they don't deserve) compared to the cost of what they actually get. The author of the article pointed out, for example, that the cost of drug testing for people on assistance in Florida cost far more than the money saved by taking those people out of the system. Here is a quick list of the costs - some hidden:

- There is a cost to simply accepting that some people will get help they don't need.

- There is a seemingly much higher cost to establishing and maintaining the actual bureaucracy necessary to ensure that fewer undeserving people get public assistance

- If we do crack down on that small percent of people who game the system, we virtually ensure that there will also be a group of people who are truly needy that will not get the assistance they need.

- And here is the biggest hidden cost - when people are truly needy for food, shelter and clothing for themselves and their family, they will take any means necessary to fulfill those needs - that includes crime. Bottom line: People will do what is necessary to survive - and good people will do bad things if it means survival (especially for their families) - I know for a fact that I would rob and kill if it meant the difference between life and death for my children and I do not believe I'm in any kind of minority in that sentiment. When the basic needs in a society aren't being met, crime goes up. The cost of crime and the enforcement and punishment for criminal activity is ridiculously higher than the cost of simply allowing a few more people to game the system.

Small government is a big buzz phrase and it is used to rationalize removal of tax dollars from people who are truly needy (moreso in a bad economy than in a good one). Small government is really an idiotic bit of doublespeak. Efficient government is what is needed. That means weighing all of the potential costs and benefits of any system. There are those who would argue that we should continue to cut assistance for those who have fallen through the cracks of our economic system. But I would argue that we've cut so much already that we've gone past the tipping point and there are more and more people who truly need help that aren't getting it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom