Pope calls it quits. (1 Viewer)

At least they're coming to some resolution on the fashion choices for the Pontiff Emeritus, and will be able to tell Benedict where he got dem shoes:

Benedict to become 'pope emeritus' after resignation | World news | guardian.co.uk

Pope Benedict will keep the honorific His Holiness after he resigns on Thursday and will be known as "pope emeritus", the Vatican said.

He will wear a simple white cassock and his ring of office as pope will be destroyed according to Vatican tradition, a spokesman, Federico Lombardi, told a briefing on Tuesday.

While he will no longer wear his trademark red shoes, Benedict has taken a liking to a pair of hand-crafted brown loafers made for him by artisans in León, Mexico, and presented to him during his 2012 visit, that he will wear in retirement instead.

But then there's this:

Benedict's decision to call himself emeritus pope and to keep wearing white is likely to fan concern voiced privately by some cardinals about the awkward reality of having two popes, both living within the Vatican walls.

Adding to the concern is that Benedict's trusted secretary, Monsignor Georg Gänswein, will be serving both pontiffs, living with Benedict at the monastery inside the Vatican and keeping his day job as prefect of the new pope's household.

_66083961_georg98072950.jpg

This, to me, would be another misstep for the church. The extreme conservatism of Benedict was less of an issue given the inevitable brevity of his tenure. Turkson, however, will have been pope for 21 years by the time he is Benedict's age. This would be catastrophic for the church in Western countries, imo, as they are already terribly and stubbornly out of step with the world. Someone who responds to the human rights violations against homosexuals in Africa by suggesting that the allegations are exaggerated and that we must draw a distinction between moral issues and human rights is going to do the church no favors. Meanwhile the Episcopal Church is marrying gays in the church and the world is marching forward. The Catholic Church does not need to keep the status quo of the current pope.

I agree that it would be better to move to a more progressive leadership, the fact is that the areas ripe for religious growth (and I mean numbers, not spiritual growth) are not exactly progressive.
Its interesting you brought up the Anglican Church. Anglicans are disappearing everyday in developing nations and their liberalism is definitely playing a role in that.
What was British Africa is increasingly starting to resemble what was French Africa - more Catholic, more Muslim. Hardline beliefs against homosexuality and feamale "promiscuity" plays a leading role in that move.

I agree that it would be better to move to a more progressive leadership, the fact is that the areas ripe for religious growth (and I mean numbers, not spiritual growth) are not exactly progressive.
Its interesting you brought up the Anglican Church. Anglicans are disappearing everyday in developing nations and their liberalism is definitely playing a role in that.
What was British Africa is increasingly starting to resemble what was French Africa - more Catholic, more Muslim. Hardline beliefs against homosexuality and feamale "promiscuity" plays a leading role in that move.

Hardline beliefs against any homosexual who is not a priest has to go. It's just a truly sick belief system.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom