Pope calls it quits. (1 Viewer)

Hm I honestly doubt this is just about health. Or, if it is, it should be something really serious, like alzheimer. Having a pope screaming profanities in the middle of a speech would be quite a sight, but well, it wouldn't be appropriate.

The reports from the Vatican say he's got nothing wrong physically (no illness and blahblah) but it's either that or something serious, really serious. I mean, Wojtyla stayed there even when it was clear to everyone he wasn't fit. Why should Ratzinger retire? It's just the 4th time in the 2000 or what years of history of the catholic church

If you believe the reports about the man, Joesph Ratzinger, (and most of them seem to form a consensus and agree), then he was never somebody who had the ambition to be pope. He really did accept his role as Pope because he felt it was something he was called to. In fact, before he ever became Pope, he had asked PJP II if he could resign and return to Germany to teach and lead a simpler life. In short, he never wanted all of this and at times seemed uncomfortable with the spotlight (though he admittedly grew into it). But he did it out of a sense of duty to the Church and to God.

So in that light, while shocking, it's not a total surprise that he would make this decision because he felt he couldn't continue in the same capacity and truly believed it better for the church if he stepped aside. I'm also sure that everything he had to deal with concerning the Priest sexual abuse scandal in the church took a very personal and profound toll on him. Everything from the children that were abused (whenever he made official visits, he always made it a point to visit with victims of abuse), to the reality of the priest that committed these acts, to the church cover up of it and even where his role and responsibility lied in all of it. I'm sure it took a very devastating toll on a person who is by all accounts humble and faithful and very much holy.

So what I'm saying, it's not something that is wholly unexpected from this man.

Actually I heard he was suspended for a year, something about a pay-for-prayer system in place?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
And now they took away his #2 choice for cardinal :hihi:

You know things are bad when the Pope says, "I give up."

Actually I heard he was suspended for a year, something about a pay-for-prayer system in place?

296867_oSht6ZCAYDnCDAlTGRRE_1.jpg

Those close to him say that he saw the late years of JP2 and thought it wasn't right for the Pope to stay through infirmity.

But apparently there is clear and ample authority to support a resignation - it's just that most viewed it as a lifetime thing. Benedict apparently thinks that's a disservice to the organization to stay past your ability to handle the demands of the job.

Agreed.

Gotta remember a little recent history here. JP2's last few years were viewed as almost useless. Granted, his mind was still sharp, which is key. The College of Cardinals also wanted the next pope to be older and not serve a very long time. They also went with someone very intellectual and conservative. I think they were looking for someone to quickly put a stamp on many issues, reaffirm some core believes and really act as a bridge for the next Pontiff.

So, now you have a conservative, intellectual Pope who also doesn't like the limelight, who's health is failing and remembers how hard it was watching JPII those last few years. With that in mind, he's likely just doing what he thinks is in the best interest of the church.

It's just weird, because no one does that.

I pray they find someone with the vigor needed to do the job.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

That one caught me off guard! Incredibly FUNNY!!!!

There is nothing within the TOS that I can say about this pope, so about this news, I will merely say "good." May the church have more wisdom in its selection process this time

As someone said earlier in the thread, I'm sure we'll never know the full story behind this, but I find this to be extremely curious in its timing. His resignation at the end of this month will potentially leave the church without a pope at Easter or at the very least put a papal election and celebration right in the middle of Lent (which seems odd). Had he stayed on one more month, that wouldn't have been an issue. I wonder why the rush.

Yeah, I can kinda agree with that. Particularly with the way the world has changed in the past 50 years. It'd be nice if they elected a younger pope. One who better understands technology, social changes and one willing to really tackle the scandals that have rocked the church and punish those abusers and reconcile with those hurt by their crimes.

From what I understand, the reason he was named pope was because they couldn't agree on one of the younger popes. So they choose him because they knew he wouldn't be around more than a decade or two.

He was already considering retirement before he was named Pope and he was always more of a scholarly type.

I really do think this is just about him ready to retire and give the next Pope the chance to make the changes needed in the coming decades. He got the church through a rough patch and that is what they needed from him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom