Pope calls it quits. (1 Viewer)

St. Patrick's Day is during lent, but :shrug:

True, but the feast of St. Patrick (sanctioned by the church) doesn't have anything to do with the Irish-turned-American Drinking celebration. I'm sure plenty of saints have feast days during Lent; we just don't use them as an excuse to party.

In any case, this is undoubtedly a unique situation. Given the reports that he has been considering this and discerning this for months, my thoughts are that he wanted to give the next Pope the chance to prepare and give the Easter address, which is normally very important and gives some the direction for the following year. Given that the conclave will take place in March, the next Pope will be in place in plenty of time. Also, this would give his replacement time to discern what the focus of the next church year would be (i.e. this year is the year of faith). But those are just guesses. Truly I have not idea.

I guess that's possible. It still seems strange to me to thrust someone into a position of having his earliest public moments at that time. I have no idea either, just think it's peculiar.

This, to me, would be another misstep for the church. The extreme conservatism of Benedict was less of an issue given the inevitable brevity of his tenure. Turkson, however, will have been pope for 21 years by the time he is Benedict's age. This would be catastrophic for the church in Western countries, imo, as they are already terribly and stubbornly out of step with the world. Someone who responds to the human rights violations against homosexuals in Africa by suggesting that the allegations are exaggerated and that we must draw a distinction between moral issues and human rights is going to do the church no favors. Meanwhile the Episcopal Church is marrying gays in the church and the world is marching forward. The Catholic Church does not need to keep the status quo of the current pope.

What you seek to happen in the church will not happen with the next pope (regardless of who he is) and likely never. So no choice will satisfy your desire.

Why would you expect any major change from the Catholic church? That's sorta.. not the point. They don't change much... ever.

The church has changed (and sometimes rechanged) plenty over the years, but that will not happen without a leader who desires it.

What you seek to happen in the church will not happen with the next pope (regardless of who he is) and likely never. So no choice will satisfy your desire.

To be clear, I'm not Catholic, so I really seek to see nothing happen in the church. I do think it would be unfortunate to elect another pontiff who is anti-women, anti-condom, anti-gay, etc., particularly when his influence would last for such a long span of time. For a church that is already becoming increasingly irrelevant everywhere except the developing world, it would be tough to weather such a long stretch before being able to make a change.

God does not approve. Photo taken today at St. Peter's Basillica.

Attachments

• Basilica lightening stike.jpg
    Basilica lightening stike.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 13
tebowforpopetshirt.jpg

To be clear, I'm not Catholic, so I really seek to see nothing happen in the church. I do think it would be unfortunate to elect another pontiff who is anti-women, anti-condom, anti-gay, etc., particularly when his influence would last for such a long span of time. For a church that is already becoming increasingly irrelevant everywhere except the developing world, it would be tough to weather such a long stretch before being able to make a change.

I think until you understand better where the church is coming from on those issues and don't see it as "anti-women, anti-condom, etc" you won't understand what I meant about not changing much.

The core beliefs have stayed intact.

We are becoming a more highly connected, but angry and mean society. Everyone now has a platform to spew anger and hate. So, I don't see the church moving away from slow, steady, patience, prayer, love, kindness, strong family, etc. They will keep fighting for the sanctity of life, because people are not sharing that feeling anymore. When you don't respect life, you get death and lawlessness.

Look at the gangs for prime example. Think they care about life? Why do you think there is a shooting in NOLA almost every single day? No respect for life.

Someone smarter than me told me this as to why this is also good timing. Usually the Pope's Easter Homily is a springboard for the year. So, a new Pope can be in on time for Easter and give their own message for the church.

Someone smarter than me told me this as to why this is also good timing. Usually the Pope's Easter Homily is a springboard for the year. So, a new Pope can be in on time for Easter and give their own message for the church.

In any case, this is undoubtedly a unique situation. Given the reports that he has been considering this and discerning this for months, my thoughts are that he wanted to give the next Pope the chance to prepare and give the Easter address, which is normally very important and gives some the direction for the following year. Given that the conclave will take place in March, the next Pope will be in place in plenty of time. Also, this would give his replacement time to discern what the focus of the next church year would be (i.e. this year is the year of faith). But those are just guesses. Truly I have not idea.

Was it me? :mwink:

:hihi:

what ever happened to "to legit to quit". as far as the lightening goes,sounds like stolen thunder,or maybe"I bow to no man,but I will take a peice of him", "then a peice of him you shall have".

what ever happened to "to legit to quit". as far as the lightening goes,sounds like stolen thunder,or maybe"I bow to no man,but I will take a peice of him", "then a peice of him you shall have".

Huh? Did the pope become a falcons fan and start wearing parachute pants without me noticing? I assumed he was always a Saints fan.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom