Pope Evades Criminal Charges by Hiding in Vatican (1 Viewer)

this is just more of the same. How can a new Pope do his job and the religion move forward or heal knowing that this particular skeleton is still living in the closet - literally

For clarity's sake, what part of that did you mean to be taken literally?

Asking a Catholic priest to remain celibate is a recipe for what has been occurring. Males have natural sexual desires that just can not be always turned off.

All of that is understood. What I don't get is why so many of them prey upon male children.

Ok after reading further, there aren't any pending arrests or even lawsuits that name the pope. The article may be sensationalizing just a bit, because it infers that the only reason he decided to resign was so that he wouldn't have to leave the Vatican and be promptly arrested. It made it seem there was pending prosecution.

It does seem that the church leaders have decided that he has to remain in the Vatican after he retires for several reasons, one of which is the immunity from possible future prosecution. So even though he might wish to return to Germany he won't be allowed to.

The source of the OP's article, later linked in the thread, appears to be from a somewhat biased site, and is taking certain assumptions to their extreme conclusions. Sort of like a Fox news does with any Obama story; they tell it with a decidedly negative spin. I'm not nor have I ever been a part of the Catholic church, so I'm not really effected either way. Just an observation I noticed and thought I'd share.

yep, it seems like in this day of media rushing to get a scoop that some of the other sites would have jumped on it by now. I see no other articles this morning and I agree that the OP article seemed biased in the way that they they quoted the two sides. I have been reading about the charges on the Popes Butler this morning and you really have to wonder what was in those docs.

This is interesting from the legal side:

1) (Reuters) ” The Vatican has consistently said that a pope cannot be held accountable for cases of abuse committed by others because priests are employees of individual dioceses around the world and not direct employees of the Vatican. It says the head of the church cannot be compared to the CEO of a company.

I would not doubt if they have a true legal loop hole there on the criminal side but civil side where the money comes in (sadly that will be as important for some) would be a different story. I would be interested in knowing if it works that way in a international case? Attorneys?

For clarity's sake, what part of that did you mean to be taken literally?

oh, just that he is getting to be a skeleton and if I were the new pope, he would be in a closet.:hihi:

All of that is understood. What I don't get is why so many of them prey upon male children.

I can't speak to why so many are inclined that way (for all I know it is the same proportion to the normal population if they could not have a woman) but I do know why it is higher than girls - access. Priests are around alter boys constantly. When I went to Catholic Schools they were never opportunities with the girls. Perhaps people recognized that little girls would be a problem for someone who had taken such a crazy oath but did not realize that boys would be an issue. People in general had a more sheltered view of sex and sex deviants back then.

Asking a Catholic priest to remain celibate is a recipe for what has been occurring. Males have natural sexual desires that just can not be always turned off.

What they need is to allow prostitutes to visit or make the nuns available. In fact, maybe it should be a duty of the nuns to take care for the needs of the priests so they leave little alter boys alone.

:covri:

While I think celibacy for priests is ridiculous, someone who is sexually attracted to a male child is not going to be satisfied by an older woman.

While I think celibacy for priests is ridiculous, someone who is sexually attracted to a male child is not going to be satisfied by an older woman.

I think you are looking at it backwards. It is not the lack of desire for an older woman, it is the availability. The initial sexual desire was not for little boys. Little boys are what was available.

Given the choice, I would imagine that most young priests would prefer a woman over a little boy.

What they need is to allow prostitutes to visit or make the nuns available. In fact, maybe it should be a duty of the nuns to take care for the needs of the priests so they leave little alter boys alone.

:covri:

Never seen any numbers regarding ratio of priests and priests who are known to assault young males - I'm sure it's in the minority

Or if the ratio is higher than in other classifications - businessmen, coaches , social workers , Political types etc - could very well be higher

Though I don't think it's due to vows taken or the church doctrine but the "environment" and manner of "influence"

I went to catholic school , went to mass every week and did all the sacraments etc and
did they alter boy thing till i was "fired" due making mistakes during mass - never heard of any improper stuff -

Though as an alter boy ( in early 70s) you would be "backstage " with the priests getting your robe etc - add to that the influence of a priest on the victims who generally seem to really buy into religion -

Through all of the Catholic Church rites and ritual i never bought into it - I chose Dominic as my confirmation name cause that is what the guy in front of me chose - you were suppose to research and find a saint that u admire

Today I'd choose Deuce - my church involvement is now strictly funerals now - my 8th grade confession was my farewell tour

I've had some droughts before and at no point did I ever think a little boy was the solution.

It has nothing to do with not having sex and a lot more to do with the becoming a priest for the access and trust. You also have the nut jobs that think becoming a priest will keep them from doing what they desire to do. In other words, child molestors choose to become priests, being a priest doesn't turn people into Chesters.

Regardless, I can't think of a way the Catholic Church could handle this in a more disturbing manor. I'd trust my child less with a catholic priest than I would any other profession and I'm pretty sure that is completely opposite of the way it should be.

I think you are looking at it backwards. It is not the lack of desire for an older woman, it is the availability. The initial sexual desire was not for little boys. Little boys are what was available.

Given the choice, I would imagine that most young priests would prefer a woman over a little boy.

So if you were leading a group of boys on a trip somewhere and you got stranded on an island, you freely admit that you would start having sex with the little boys because no women were around? :freak7:

Never seen any numbers regarding ratio of priests and priests who are known to assault young males - I'm sure it's in the minority

Or if the ratio is higher than in other classifications - businessmen, coaches , social workers , Political types etc - could very well be higher

Though I don't think it's due to vows taken or the church doctrine but the "environment" and manner of "influence"

I went to catholic school , went to mass every week and did all the sacraments etc and
did they alter boy thing till i was "fired" due making mistakes during mass - never heard of any improper stuff -

Though as an alter boy ( in early 70s) you would be "backstage " with the priests getting your robe etc - add to that the influence of a priest on the victims who generally seem to really buy into religion -

Through all of the Catholic Church rites and ritual i never bought into it - I chose Dominic as my confirmation name cause that is what the guy in front of me chose - you were suppose to research and find a saint that u admire

Today I'd choose Deuce - my church involvement is now strictly funerals now - my 8th grade confession was my farewell tour

If anyone would actually care to know, the ratio is less than that of other religions and less than that of the general population.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

So if you were leading a group of boys on a trip somewhere and you got stranded on an island, you freely admit that you would start having sex with the little boys because no women were around? :freak7:

Come on man, is that all you could comprehend?

I hope you were just joking.

Come on man, is that all you could comprehend?

I hope you were just joking.

I did not take it that way at all BHM. I took it that you would only like them because you are getting older. If you were still a young priest you would still prefer women. :ezbill: Ain't I good at comprehendin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom