Pope Evades Criminal Charges by Hiding in Vatican (1 Viewer)

Why haven't past Popes, cardinals, bishops, etc. been criminally charged like this?

From the article I attempted to post earlier:

When he was an archbishop, J. Ratzinger knowingly and willingly protected the criminal priests and thereby avoiding legal and lawful charges against them. Now the church is willfully breaking the law by giving him sanctuary against the law.

Not sure if that helps.

My point is this, everyone is free to be as spiritual as they want and believe in the deity they want, it's the human element of what runs different religions across the globe that causes stuff like this. It spans the history of humanity. I was raised Catholic and I quit as a teen b/c I couldn't stand the hypocrisy of organized religion, and I'm not saying Christianity, I'm saying ALL religions.

I understand what your point is. I think that the main problem with religion, or any other belief system, comes when a sect or denomination, or whatever they call it, becomes cultic to the point where its all about the itself instead of the meaning or purpose behind its beliefs.

I've met some incredible people from many different backgrounds, religions, and belief systems. But I've also met some pretty shady characters as well. So I try hard not to stereotype.

It's definitely a shame what is happening within the Catholic Church. It seems as though the powers that be within the Catholic Church believe they are bigger than the religion, itself. Instead, they are destroying it. Along with with tarnishing the reputation of Christians in general.

South Park should send a portion of proceeds to the Vatican because they just lobbed them a softball.

Prolly the same reason they no pay no taxes...

I'm not sure of your intent with this post, but religious organizations are typically tax exempt, but not necessarily the ministers themselves. I've been a minister for several years and pay taxes every year on my (limited, heh) income.

Why haven't past Popes, cardinals, bishops, etc. been criminally charged like this?

Whys anyone surprised by this one? If he retired because of his health, wouldn't someone come and and take his place? And it's a religion, therefore government can't or wont step in and charge with crimes because of their organization. It's bs but maybe the Vatican has dirt on the government which is why nothing gets done with that?:scratch:

jesus-wept-199x300.jpg

man, what a yard sale that'd be !

Ok after reading further, there aren't any pending arrests or even lawsuits that name the pope. The article may be sensationalizing just a bit, because it infers that the only reason he decided to resign was so that he wouldn't have to leave the Vatican and be promptly arrested. It made it seem there was pending prosecution.

It does seem that the church leaders have decided that he has to remain in the Vatican after he retires for several reasons, one of which is the immunity from possible future prosecution. So even though he might wish to return to Germany he won't be allowed to.

The source of the OP's article, later linked in the thread, appears to be from a somewhat biased site, and is taking certain assumptions to their extreme conclusions. Sort of like a Fox news does with any Obama story; they tell it with a decidedly negative spin. I'm not nor have I ever been a part of the Catholic church, so I'm not really effected either way. Just an observation I noticed and thought I'd share.

Asking a Catholic priest to remain celibate is a recipe for what has been occurring. Males have natural sexual desires that just can not be always turned off.

What they need is to allow prostitutes to visit or make the nuns available. In fact, maybe it should be a duty of the nuns to take care for the needs of the priests so they leave little alter boys alone.

:covri:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom