Popeye's Chicken Sandwich (2 Viewers)

They'll have to pry my Chick-Fil-A spicy chicken sandwich with extra pickle and roasted honey mustard sauce from my cold, dead hands.

This is the best chicken sandwich to ever hit the fast food market. Hands down. It aint even close.

Wendy's isn't even in the same league as Popeyes and CFA. I have to give Popeyes the win out of the two, though. Gimme the spicy with some sweet heat sauce on it with a side of red beans.

I haven't tried the sandwich yet. I may try it today.

My favorite onion rings are the ones at the Company Burger near the Superdome.
But my old favorite, in the more accessible category, was at Popeye's.

They used to hand-bread and fry the rings as you ordered. The guys in the back hated making them because of the extra labor, But if they didn't over-cook them, they were the BEST!

Then, they decided it was too much work, and they started using frozen, pre-breaded rings. They were still good but not nearly as good as before.

Then, a few years after that, they quit making them all together. When I asked about it, they said that they stopped making them at ALL Popeye's. But i found out that this wasn't true, they still made them at Wiggins. This store was in a different franchise zone.
Later, I found out that they also make them locally at the store on the Air Force base, which is owned by someone else.

They excuse that I got was that the franchise owner wasn't happy with the quality of the frozen rings, but who knows what the real reason is. Maybe they're too expensive.

If anyone knows of a place where they still hand-bread the rings, post it here and let me know. I'll leave a review of the sandwich soon.
If you are ever headed north up Hwy 49, the Popeye's in Magee, has the fresh hand-breaded onion rings, and yes you will have to wait if you order them. The franchise owner at that location runs a tight ship, nice clean store with great customer service with an army of people working in there, he shells out the cash to make an impression.

I had a "spicy" one from Popeyes last week, and it was really good. The breast is thicker and the breading is crispier than Chic-Fila, likewise the pickles are a little thicker and crunchier. I think the only difference between the "classic" and the "spicy" is the sauce they put on it (mayo vs. "cajun spread"). I'm generally a little leery about getting mayo on a sandwich because places tend over do it, but they put just the right amount of the cajun spread on the one I had.

I know I'm going to get a ton of downvotes for saying this, but this whole debate just reminds me of how supremely overrated CFA has become. Don't get me wroong, I like their food. Quite a bit, actually. However, I don't feel they are the be-all-end-all for fast food chicken.

Now, this feeling might be tied to accessibility. There are two CFAs within less than 3 miles of where I live. The nearest Popeyes is over 20 miles away and not in a good part of town. I only get my Popeye's fix when I go back to visit NOLA. Meanwhile, I can get CFA anytime I please. That said, the last few times I ate there, I was a little disappointed.

Last edited:
Your whore mouth.

Shut it.

that seems a little excessive over a burger

look, i had In n Out in San Francisco and it was fine...but it certainly wasn't special in any way....i mean, if being better than McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's is special, then we should probably raise the bar a little bit

I know I'm goimg to get a ton of downvotes for saying this, but this whole debate just reminds me of how supremely overrated CFA has become. Don't get me wroong, I like their food. Quite a bit, actually. However, I don't feel they are the be-all-end-all for fast food chicken.

Now, this feeling might be tied to accessibility. There are two CFAs within less than 3 miles of where I live. The nearest Popeyes is over 20 miles away and not in a good part of town. I only get my Popeye's fix when I go back to visit NOLA. Meanwhile, I can get CFA anytime I please. That said, the last few times I ate there, I was a little disappointed.
Yep, there are Chic Fila's all over now, but the closest Popeyes from my house is a twenty minute drive (which sucks but is also probably for the best).

I just had one....:exocet:

It was typical Popeye's, had to wait for it and "pull forward" at the drive through. Planned on going in but there was no place to park, so I went drive through. Evidently it's all the rage, it's the most people I've seen at that particular Popeye's... Girl that brought it out said most were there for the sandwich..

I do like CFL's spicy sandwich, but the Popeye's sandwich took it up a notch. Breast was moist, and the bun wasn't the typical little cheap hamburger bun CFL uses.

Highly recommend...

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom