Positional Importance and where the Saints stand going into 2017 (Long Read) (1 Viewer)

duckjr78

Look out, its FrankenBaby
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I thought it would be an interesting experiment to see how our team stacked up at each spot compared to other teams and see where the major holes are, at least in my humble opinion.
So, here is a list of "Positional Importance" from NFL.com. Now, while I don't personally agree with "exactly" where each spot is, it does match up Fairley (lol) well with the contract #'s and with what we see play out each year as to which teams win/lose. I also added in "Run Stopping DE" about where I thought it should go, mainly because I wanted to write the word "Elite" next to Cam Jordan's name, so, yeah.

Basic Ranking Levels
Elite: self explanatory
Good: A position of strength
Serviceable: Middling compared to the rest of the NFL, nothing special
Hole: Bottom half of the league, needs addressing asap

QB - Brees/McCown: Elite. Brees is still very much an Elite player. McCown is capable of keeping you in a playoff race over a 3 game stretch.
Pass Rusher - Kikaha/Kruger/Tapp/Gwachum: Massive Hole. This is the single largest issue on the entire team, IMHO. It directly correlates with the team's inability to consistently win in the 4th quarter of games, when 3rd & 4th down become so critical.
LT - Armstead/Peat: Elite. The Saints are the only team in the NFL who have 2 guys both capable of playing LT at an elite level.
#1 CB - Breaux: Good. The physical tools are there to be elite and he has shut down some elite #1 WR's, but we need to see a full season. Considering the 3rd year is usually a "light bulb" year for many players, I expect to see Breaux make the move to Elite.
WR #1 - Thomas: Good. I fully expect 90/1,200/12 next year. Not quite elite, but very, very, very good.
3tech - Rankins/Fairely: Good. Another position of serious strength, elite if Fairley gets resigned.
RB - Ingram/Hightower/Lasco/Cadet/Kuhn - Just servicable here. Ingram can be "the guy," Hightower is a good #3, Lasco has massive upside, and Kuhn is really nice to have. But there isn't a stud here, in any capacity. Someone in the backfield has to be able to beat a LB one-on-one for a critical 3rd down conversion in 4th quarters and none of these guys can do that.
Run Stopping DE: Jordan: Elite.
Pass Rusher #2 - Jordan: Good. While not quite capable of being a dominant 1-on-1 pass rusher by himself, he is a fabulous complimentary rusher and has the requisite athletic ability to chase down QB's as they flush and step up.
MLB - Robinson/Anthony: Servicable.
TE - Fleener/Hill/Hooman: Servicable.
FS - Byrd/Bell: Good with the added advantage of having two of them. Very strong position.
WLB - Ellerbe: Could be good, but due to injuries, if I said anything above Servicable, I'd be fooling myself.
RT - Strief: Good. Production says Elite, but due to age, I'll stick with Good. I'd love to see a mid round pick get spent on a player to groom for after Zach, but depth is the concern here, not Zach's ability to still produce at RT.
#2 CB - Williams/Moore: Servicable.
RG - Evans: Hole.
WR #2 - Cooks/Snead: Elite. I don't care what the talking heads say, there isn't another team that can trot out two guys that are tougher matchups as their #2/#3 WR's.
OC - Unger: I'll say Good, but the offense's production when he's in vs. out say Elite.
SS - Vaccaro: Good, but only because his production *seems inconsistent. How much of that is that he is asked to do so much to cover up for others?
SLB - Stupar/Anthony: Hole.
LG - Peat/Kelemete: Good. Peat has more talent than he may get to use while at LG, but that talent plus Senio's versatility make this a good position.
NT - Davison: Good position here, and a steal in the 5th to boot!
K - Lutz: Might just be Good! For now, Serviceable and that's a change in the right direction.
P - Morestead: Elite, he's a stud
Return Man - This is a Hole. Byrd doesn't fumble and Lewis has shown some shake, but that's really it.

Issues:

Pass Rusher - Huge, giant, massive, gaping hole. They tried to double up on Kikaha & Tull, but neither has panned out. Kikaha still may, but I don't think you can trust such an important aspect of the game to him. His future production at this point has to be considered lagniappe.
RB - Ingram (#1), Hightower (backup), Lasco (young guy with massive potential), and Kuhn (savvy FB vet) all fill their respective roles well enough. But there simply isn't a guy to lean on during 2 min or 4 min drills who can flat out win a 1-on-1 for you to get that extra yard that is so often the difference between winning and losing a close game between good teams. You can possibly kill 2 birds here by getting a guy with some return ability.
MLB - Robinson has filled in admirably here, but it's still an area of need. I'll get to this position a little later on.
TE - Fleener should improve in year #2. Hooman is very versatile, and Hill fills the backup to Fleener spot nicely. Most of us want a more dominant #1 TE, but with Thomas's looks sure to increase AND the probably addition of a better pass catching RB next year, the #1 TE's targets will more than likely go down in 2017, so is there really that much value in trying to hit a home run at this spot? Personally, I don't think so.
WLB - Ellerbe is a Good player, but so often injured. Again, I'll get to this position a little later on.
#2 CB - I believe that with DA's scheme, the importance of this position is muted a bit, as long as the player has a very good grasp of the scheme and responsibilities. A med/high end vet here would pay large dividends because it allows for man coverage if you need it, or DA has the option to put Breaux on a team's #2 while using the #2 CB and a LB/S to bracket the #1 WR.
RG - I love Jahri, and I'm very happy with how he played this year, all things considered. But over half of the snaps the offense takes, the RG has to go against the other team's 3tech, who is usually a very, very good player. Jahri simply doesn't have the body anymore to do what he used to be the best in the game at.
SLB - Seeing at trend at LB? We suck hard at the 2nd level of defense. Here' the thing. Ellerbe offers really good ability, but no reliability. Robertson is versatile and reliable, but not much of a game changer. Anthony has ability, but needs to make a mental jump. Stupar and the rest are all JAG's. At minimum, you have to add a "Good" level player somewhere at LB. You also must have at least a "Serviceable" level player as your backup for Ellerbe. So you need a minimum of 4 LB's and right now there are 2. Does Anthony make the jump, they sure need him to.

What does SaintsReport think about our positional needs as it relates to positional importance?

I agree with most of your analysis, duckjr78, especially your take on our LBs and the need for an edge pass rusher. I would put a bit more emphasis on the O line, though. If Armstead were healthy, there wouldn't be as big of a need there, but for the second straight year he's been seriously hampered by a bum knee and unable to finish the season. Combine that with Strief's age and OT becomes a real need. I think edge rusher and OG are our biggest needs, but we also have holes at CB and LB, as you pointed out. We could use an upgrade at the joker RB position, but it is not as urgent as those other needs. I don't see incredible upside in Lasco, as he lacks power and has average speed. His best asset as a RB is a quick first cut, but he's not going to break a lot of tackles or run by NFL defenders at the second level. His potential is to be a good ST player if he can stay healthy. I think Thomas is already better than good.

Good run down, I enjoy a long read when it's on point!

As far as on point, you pretty much nailed it.

Points for discussion though:

TE - Phillips impressed me as a blocker and looked good as a receiver on his few chances. What we need from this position, (since like you said we have plenty of receiving threats), is a guy who is money. If he only gets 5 targets a game, 4 of them have to be receptions. I think Fleener makes a jump next season.

Pass Rusher - Man oh man... Wouldn't we have loved to see what Kikaha could have done for us on 3rd down this season... We have to grab another guy. I like Kruger in a role like Tapp had this season. He's usable, but in this day and age, you win or lose games based on this position. So if we get crowded at edge rusher that's a good thing. I'd like to grab a stud in FA or use the 1st pick here (if the right guy is available, don't reach, we've already done that)

RB - I disagree with the negativity aimed at Ingram. He's above average and checks all the boxes for a workhorse RB in the NFL. I think our offense, much like the spread in college, sorta hampers the RB position. Now Ingram as a versatile Thunder and bring in a joker back to be the Lightning, AND if Lasco turns out to be a Pierre Thomas-like 3rd option and screen back... We'd have our entire offense back.

LB - You need 4 LBs and we have 2. Yes, yes, yes. Also wouldn't hurt if one of them were a straight up stud. Look at the panther's D once they lost that one stud... they stink. FA or draft, we need a star here, and depth.

OL - The center and left side of the line is comparable to the Cowboys' line. The right side is good too, but age and wear and tear say that their level of play won't continue much longer. So, unless the coaches think they already have the future right side of the line on the overall roster, then we have to address this now.

QB - I'm sure SP has been and will continue to look everywhere for a guy that could fit his system. There's zero doubt in my mind that he knows his career depends on it. If we find that guy, then we do whatever it takes to get him... and I will not question this one bit. But the very LAST thing we need to do is waste a draft pick on a guy we think might have some potential. But the clock IS ticking...

KR - My birthday is in March, but I can wait a month to get my present. And all I want is to start drives around mid-field with the possibility of scoring before our offense even touches the field. And above all this, I don't want to gift the other team 50 yards and a fresh set of downs after our defense just held them on 3rd down.

Good write up!

As far as the linebacker thing goes, expect to see vaccaro used as a full time linebacker/corner back.

I know thats an odd thing to say, but i believe byrd will be full time fs, bell ss, and kv will play lb on the tight end against base sets and move to slot corner in nickel sets, keeping him underneath or in the box, which is what he excels at. If we could get a good edge rusher, and a nice boundary corner like abouye, this defense could make noise.

DE cam
DT fairley
DT rankins
DE tim williams
LB Roberson
LB malcom smith
Joker LB/slot vaccaro
CB abouye
CB Breaux
SS Bell
FS Byrd

That is a sick defense for a long time!

I think Ingram borders on elite. He needs space to be effective. He needs more of the "I" and more wide pitches.

Hightower is a 4 down RB, and has proven he can carry 30 times and wear down defenses.

Lasco is potentially a cure for our ailing screen game, but he has to prove he can stay healthy.

All we need in the running game is a Joker to threaten the edges, receiving, and KO/Punt returns.

Why do people think that Lasco is the answer as a 3rd down back? He hasn't shown anything as a pass catcher. But I'm a believer in Ingram and Hightower. I don't believe that RB is a need at all, unless there is a special do-it-all type of player. McCaffery would boost our special teams and be an obvious upgrade to Cadet. But he will carry a 1st round price tag. In regards to positional need, I don't think that he's worth it...but I admit that it would be a very safe selection. I'd be shock if he wasn't great in our system and improve the Saints team in multiple ways.

Why do people think that Fleener is going to take a step forward next year? He's been what's he's been since entering the league. Again...pretty wishful thinking. But in regards to positional need...I think that the Saints should be looking for a TE who can block and receive. I'm not sure OJ Howard would significantly improve our blocking situation. I honestly think that a mid-round selection on a guy like Jordan Leggett or Jeremy Sprinkle. I'm very interesting to see how Jeremy Sprinkle does at the combine. The guy blocks like a LT...an absolute beast who would step in day one and be the Saints best blocking TE. I think that the offense held him back as a receiver...and if he proves to be a capable in that department...he really could be a great mid-round TE sleeper.

Good write up!

As far as the linebacker thing goes, expect to see vaccaro used as a full time linebacker/corner back.

I know thats an odd thing to say, but i believe byrd will be full time fs, bell ss, and kv will play lb on the tight end against base sets and move to slot corner in nickel sets, keeping him underneath or in the box, which is what he excels at. If we could get a good edge rusher, and a nice boundary corner like abouye, this defense could make noise.

DE cam
DT fairley
DT rankins
DE tim williams
LB Roberson
LB malcom smith
Joker LB/slot vaccaro
CB abouye
CB Breaux
SS Bell
FS Byrd

That is a sick defense for a long time!

In today's game, you need a Dline that can rush the passer, multiple LB's who can cover, and a back end that knows how to operate in the coverage system that you have in place (which should be tailored to fit their skill set).

Admittedly, Peyton Manning's defense was almost perfect, for him as a QB, much as Brady's has been for almost his entire career.

The defense that you put down in your post can do all three of those things, is reasonably young, and best of all, won't cost an arm and a leg to finish putting all the pieces together.

I disagree with your assessment of Cam Jordan. I think he is unappreciated at times. He is truly an elite player and pass rusher in my humble opinion. He consistently gets pressure on the QB, at times he flat out dominates and rag dolls linemen. I literally would not trade him for another defensive player in the league. Great write up. I agree we need that speed rusher to turn into an upper echelon defense

I disagree with your assessment of Cam Jordan. I think he is unappreciated at times. He is truly an elite player and pass rusher in my humble opinion. He consistently gets pressure on the QB, at times he flat out dominates and rag dolls linemen. I literally would not trade him for another defensive player in the league. Great write up. I agree we need that speed rusher to turn into an upper echelon defense

Underappreciated? I think he is an elite run defender and an above average pass rusher. I'd say that I appreciate the heck outta him!

Why do people think that Lasco is the answer as a 3rd down back? He hasn't shown anything as a pass catcher.

This is just speculation... We drafted him with something in mind, and I think the Pierre Thomas role is the most likely.

He's not the joker back for sure, but the Spiller experiment failed. We're still looking for that guy too. And as fans, we're still shaking our heads "why" we let Sproles go. Never will get that one. Graham I sorta "get", because there was evidently some sour feelings after the WR/TE $$$ fight. But Sproles? That still hurts. And as for need, many of us still feel that the Pierre Thomas and Darren Sproles roles are gaping holes in our offense. Yeah we still roll out madden-like stats, but without those 2 backs, it just feels wrong.

Saints history indicates that #2 CB is the most important position. We had two good CB's in 2009, 2011, and 2013 with some lackluster D-linemen.

Why do people think that Lasco is the answer as a 3rd down back? He hasn't shown anything as a pass catcher. But I'm a believer in Ingram and Hightower. I don't believe that RB is a need at all, unless there is a special do-it-all type of player. McCaffery would boost our special teams and be an obvious upgrade to Cadet. But he will carry a 1st round price tag. In regards to positional need, I don't think that he's worth it...but I admit that it would be a very safe selection. I'd be shock if he wasn't great in our system and improve the Saints team in multiple ways.

Why do people think that Fleener is going to take a step forward next year? He's been what's he's been since entering the league. Again...pretty wishful thinking. But in regards to positional need...I think that the Saints should be looking for a TE who can block and receive. I'm not sure OJ Howard would significantly improve our blocking situation. I honestly think that a mid-round selection on a guy like Jordan Leggett or Jeremy Sprinkle. I'm very interesting to see how Jeremy Sprinkle does at the combine. The guy blocks like a LT...an absolute beast who would step in day one and be the Saints best blocking TE. I think that the offense held him back as a receiver...and if he proves to be a capable in that department...he really could be a great mid-round TE sleeper.

Considering McCaffery skipped his bowl game to be ready for the NFL, he's likely going to want to get volume. I don't think he's going to play as well if he just get 10 carries/targets combined per game.

And to say the left side of the oline does not have problems. Peat is not Armstead. This oline was pushed around by the giants, lions, broncos, and chargers. The LG position has weakened without Peat there as well. Evans has also on the right side not shown up for the tougher games. He didn't get a top four grade against TB, and that seems to have shown why Brees had just 166 yards.

good write up!

De cam
dt fairley
dt rankins
de derek barnett
lb roberson
lb malcom smith
joker lb/slot vaccaro
cb abouye
cb breaux
ss bell
fs byrd

that is a sick defense for a long time!

fify

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom