Positve from the pre-season, defense is improved (1 Viewer)

Nymm

Last Fan Standing
Reaction score
This has been a rough pre-season and while the bar isn't set too high there really is very noticeable improvement on the defense.

They're inconsistent but I really do expect this unit to gel as the season goes on. When the secondary is healthy I think they are going to be above average and in the coming seasons look out.

We're playing the run better as well. There is still work to be done there but it is an improvement.

The biggest concern is the lack of a decent pass rush. We're giving the QB way too much time and it's not going to matter how good the secondary is someone is going to get open.
Obviously Allen is going to need to get creative and find someway to get to the passer.

The turnover problem in the pre-season has made the defense look worse than it is. I'm convinced we've got a good core of players and will bounce back on defense finally.

JvilleJoe

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think the only way the Saints are going to manufacture a pass rush this year will be with lots of blitzing while hoping that our CB's can maintain tight coverage. The one thing where the preseason was totally 'vanilla' is the lack of much blitzing.

It is not the defense I am concerned about, particularly if they can make some improvements in getting off the field on third down and creating a positive turnover ratio. The offensive line to date in the preseason has not given Drew or any of the QB's much time and the running game is nonexistent. If that doesn't change our offensive firepower and top 5 normal ranking is in severe trouble.

Sumdude34

All-Pro
Reaction score
I personally thought the defense was pretty vanilla this week. It seemed like coach Allen wanted to run a lot of man to man to test his corners and 4 man rushes to test his d line. I know I'm in the extreme minority on this but I really wasn't too worried about what I saw on D because everyone is going to play better when they actually game plan.

Edit: I don't think Breaux even guarded Brown once. In a real game he probably would have followed him around. They wanted to get Williams, harris, and crawley some reps against the best receiver in the game

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Robertson and Ellerbe should be the subpackage, passing down linebackers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saintsphere Cam Jordan and Mark Ingram debut podcast; Alvin Kamara first guest and gets into how bad injury was last season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 18
Season on DC shoulders Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
Early-season NFL QB awards: Best start, most improved, most nimble, more Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Best of luck the rest of the season, SaintsFans Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Bill NFL "If The Season Ended Today..." - WEEK 2 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Taker597 We are going into a rebuild one way or another. Trade Lattimore in the off-season. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10
[Mod edit Speculation based on Unsubstantiated Source] Would it Surprise Anyone if we Traded Davenport after the Season? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 57
Bill NFL "If The Season Ended Today..." - WEEK 1 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 24
Zach Line watched Saints season opener from his couch in uniform: 'Retirement is hard' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Quarterbacks dominate, pass interference calls remain black mark on NFL on first Sunday of season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Poydras Street was a seriously lonely scene during the Saints season opener Sunday Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: Saints LB Demario Davis signed 3-year extension before season-opener vs. Bucs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Adam Trautman is the only Saints rookie to dress out for the season opener Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Staff predictions: Which players, what teams will grab the headlines this NFL season? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Tom Brady to the Saints was a possibility if Bress would’ve retired after 2019 season Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Drew Brees thought 2017 was going to be his final season. Then he started having fun again Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees and Sean Payton's 'unbelievable journey' now entering its 15th season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints rooting guide for Week 1 of the 2020 NFL season Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Mississippi Saints Fan Our defense Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Andrus Demario Davis Talks Saints Defense, Week 3 prep | Saints vs. Packers Week 3 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Sumdude34 This defense lives and dies by its Slot/Nickle defenders Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Andrus Saints Defense vs. Packers Offense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
No teamwork on defense Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10
This Defense Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
NFL Teams are 294-3947 all-time when allowing 34 or more points, Look no further then the Defense Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
Saint Kamara Saints defense prevents 100 yard rusher yet again Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 29
Dan in Lafayette C.J. Gardner-Johnson on Raiders Offense, Saints Run Defense | Saints at Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara Is this the best combined Saints defense/special teams/kicking units of all time? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Cincy Saint Film breakdown - Saints defense takes away the middle from Brady and the Bucs Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Mississippi Saints Fan So excited about the defense this year. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
Payton encouraged by Ruiz progress, Saints run defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Film Study: Saints defense faces tough test in Josh Jacobs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints Defense at Raiders Offense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Film Study: How Saints rushing offense lines up vs. Raiders rushing defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints keeping it (under) 100... Everything you need to know about the defense's 44-game streak Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Andrus Saints Offense at Raiders Defense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Second look: How the Saints went small on defense to defeat the Buccaneers Saints RSS News Feeds 1
ktmoze Saints Offense vs. Raiders Defense Preview - Week 2 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Dan in Lafayette 2020 Saints Defense has traits of the 2009 Squad, Pt. 1 SR News Page Articles 0
ktmoze 2020 Saints Defense has traits of the 2009 Squad Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 13
Andrus Saints defense & special teams keep offense in the game to beat Bucs 34–23 SR News Page Articles 0
Saints can rely on consistent, balanced defense in title quest Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Shout out to the Defense!!! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 14
Defense shines in spots as Saints top Buccaneers in near-silent Superdome Saints RSS News Feeds 0