Positve from the pre-season, defense is improved (1 Viewer)

Nymm

Last Fan Standing
Reaction score
This has been a rough pre-season and while the bar isn't set too high there really is very noticeable improvement on the defense.

They're inconsistent but I really do expect this unit to gel as the season goes on. When the secondary is healthy I think they are going to be above average and in the coming seasons look out.

We're playing the run better as well. There is still work to be done there but it is an improvement.

The biggest concern is the lack of a decent pass rush. We're giving the QB way too much time and it's not going to matter how good the secondary is someone is going to get open.
Obviously Allen is going to need to get creative and find someway to get to the passer.

The turnover problem in the pre-season has made the defense look worse than it is. I'm convinced we've got a good core of players and will bounce back on defense finally.

I think the only way the Saints are going to manufacture a pass rush this year will be with lots of blitzing while hoping that our CB's can maintain tight coverage. The one thing where the preseason was totally 'vanilla' is the lack of much blitzing.

It is not the defense I am concerned about, particularly if they can make some improvements in getting off the field on third down and creating a positive turnover ratio. The offensive line to date in the preseason has not given Drew or any of the QB's much time and the running game is nonexistent. If that doesn't change our offensive firepower and top 5 normal ranking is in severe trouble.

I personally thought the defense was pretty vanilla this week. It seemed like coach Allen wanted to run a lot of man to man to test his corners and 4 man rushes to test his d line. I know I'm in the extreme minority on this but I really wasn't too worried about what I saw on D because everyone is going to play better when they actually game plan.

Edit: I don't think Breaux even guarded Brown once. In a real game he probably would have followed him around. They wanted to get Williams, harris, and crawley some reps against the best receiver in the game

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom