Possible key difference in Ravens and Saints running games (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From reading a lot about the two offenses in this week's Saints/Ravens matchup, I noticed something.

Both teams expressed a need to run the ball well, and both have talented running backs. The Saints however have a valuable fullback in Mike Karney, while the Ravens . . . have no fullback. http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...t14,0,1873247.column?coll=bal-sports-football

We know that the Saints frequently run from spread sets with Bush in a range of positions, usually taking the snap as a wideout, in order to open space for Deuce in the middle. But, when short yardage is the key, Karney can blow up holes with the best of them.

The Ravens, on the other hand, appear to be without someone in this position. So in short yardage situations, they may be disadvantaged. It remains to be seen whether this will impact the game, but something to look out for.

WHODAT!

Yeah, even my avatar could get a yard behind Karney. If he had to. And with his hat on, too.

I just had a mental image of that- and it cracked me up.

i can't figure out how to do the little icon guys in this new format. am i missing something?

you know the ones you can put in the message- like the guy going down the toilet- or the group of guys with balloons...

IMO Jamal Lewis is not going to do much against us. He relies on that massive Oline way too much and as posted above, they don't run with a FB. Todd Heap isnt exactly the poster boy for "blocking TE" and I think that grizzly bear OG Mulitalo is injured. Odgen even appears to be declining. That line has had trouble protecting McNair and Will Smith and Charles Grant are going to be in his face all day. Don't know about us running between the tackles....Ngata, Suggs, Pryce, Scott, and Ray Ray are the best in the buisness on paper. The C. McAllister/Samari Rolle combo at CB is also intimidating. Ed Reed is a beast back there.......this game makes me a little nervous like maybe we're counting on Carney's leg at the end of regulation. Well, I trust Coach Payton....He's handled his buisness so far, so let's see how he attacks this Ravens D.

Although they do not have a fullback, they have Jamal Lewis. He is big and strong and when he gets out in the open he will burst out. We have not seen a RB like this yet. He may provide us some trouble. The Ravens dont need a FB when you have Jamal Lewis running you the ball. As of now Im still unsure on what he will do

1. He could have a huge game-
our defense has not seen a RB like this yet. If he gets through our line he could have a good chance of breaking some big ones like other RB's have done

2. Could have a small game-
Like much of this season Jamal could have a bad game. He has yet to put up good numbers against any team and if our line and LB's play like they have been then he wont get much

3. Could have an average game-
I think that this is the most likely due to the power of Jamal. I see him getting around 3 yards per carry with his power.

And as far as short yardage is concerned i dont think that Baltimore has much to worry about. They have Todd Heap who is a good, big reciever who will get and make those short yardage plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom