Possible relocation to NOLA-Questions!! (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I may have the opportunity to move to NOLA in the first 6 months of 2014. I grew up on the Mississippi Coast and spent a lot of time in New Orleans. I have lived in the Atlanta area the last 18yrs, and visit frequently-was just there last week. The job would be in Kenner by the airport, and I just want to get some info on places-where would you guys recommend?? I'm familiar with Metairie and Kenner, but the traffic can be nightmarish. I was thinking west of the airport-LaPlace, St Rose, etc but not that familiar with those areas. I would like to be no further than 15 miles from the airport. Also, what has changed since Katrina-as far as insurance, and housing regulations?? What costs are there?? Also, kinda silly, but how much are car tags in Louisiana now?? I would just need a small house, in a SAFE area, with a fenced yard(I have dogs). Any info would be great. I plan on coming down a few more times after the holidays to look some more. If I do this it will be a big change, but if I don't I have a feeling I will regret it. Hope to hear everyones input and recommendations! Thanks!!

I'd recommend Old Metairie. It's as safe as any neighborhood. Also River Ridge, Lakeview, Uptown/University area are very safe (all east of the airport). Are you looking to buy or rent? How much house do you want? You can find a 1-3 bedroom, 1-2 bath house/apt/double with a fenced yard in any of these areas. Expect rent costs to be minimum $1000, mortgage to be minimum $220K. There are a few condos and apt complexes in those areas that may charge a little less.

West of the airport...Kenner, St Rose, Destrehan are significantly lower priced, as well as many parts of Metairie. It all depends on what type of neighborhood you're looking for. LaPlace is about a 30 min drive to the airport.

FWIW, I moved to the area 2 years ago and lived Uptown Nola for 1.5 years and loved every minute of it. I live in north Kenna/Metry now, and it's a very safe residential area, but you lose the New Orleans vibe. Lots of gems in this thread Moving to New Orleans - New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards I started when I was in your situation. Good luck!

others will give info about the BR side of the airport
but know that if you do listen to MSU and look in the city there are places (mid-city & Fontainbleu) that have quick access to the Earhardt expressway which will get you to airport pretty quickly if you're going opposite direction of rush hour traffic

You can live in the city but it will be more like 20-25 minuted to the airport. I drive that way from uptown every Friday morning. It take about 26 minutes from the Iish Channel.

You can live in the city but it will be more like 20-25 minuted to the airport. I drive that way from uptown every Friday morning. It take about 26 minutes from the Iish Channel.

It's amazing how quick it can actually be at the right time. I can do 15 minutes door to door from Carrollton/Claiborne.

It's amazing how quick it can actually be at the right time. I can do 15 minutes door to door from Carrollton/Claiborne.

That is possible. But your area has much easier access to the main arteries. It takes 15 minutes just to get to Claiborne for me at times.

I'd recommend Old Metairie. It's as safe as any neighborhood. Also River Ridge, Lakeview, Uptown/University area are very safe (all east of the airport). Are you looking to buy or rent? How much house do you want? You can find a 1-3 bedroom, 1-2 bath house/apt/double with a fenced yard in any of these areas. Expect rent costs to be minimum $1000, mortgage to be minimum $220K. There are a few condos and apt complexes in those areas that may charge a little less.

West of the airport...Kenner, St Rose, Destrehan are significantly lower priced, as well as many parts of Metairie. It all depends on what type of neighborhood you're looking for. LaPlace is about a 30 min drive to the airport.

FWIW, I moved to the area 2 years ago and lived Uptown Nola for 1.5 years and loved every minute of it. I live in north Kenna/Metry now, and it's a very safe residential area, but you lose the New Orleans vibe. Lots of gems in this thread Moving to New Orleans - New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards I started when I was in your situation. Good luck!

if he wants to stay away from trafic, old Metairie would be the last place I would advise to live unless he finds a place on one of those first few streets that run parallel to Causeway (that don't really feel like Old Metairie). Having said that, quick access to Causeway and I-10 combined with going the opposite way of rush hour can really be easy.

If I was working near the Airport and didn't like traffic I would look really hard at the River Ridge area. You can find neighborhoods in every price range and they can all get to the Airport in 10 minutes or less. There are a couple of nice neighborhoods down river road when you approach the Laplace area but I would ask around about how bad any neighborhood your interested in flooded during last years hurricane. Laplace got hit hard.

and by all means, get your butt out of ATL or you will indeed regret it.

Thanks for the replies so far! yeah, looking at the flood maps of the Parishes is making me cross-eyed. I know LaPlace got hammered, and the North Shore would be the easy answer-just to far to drive, especially as the job may be a midnight shift job, at least to begin with!!!! The research continues…….

if he wants to stay away from trafic, old Metairie would be the last place I would advise to live unless he finds a place on one of those first few streets that run parallel to Causeway (that don't really feel like Old Metairie). Having said that, quick access to Causeway and I-10 combined with going the opposite way of rush hour can really be easy.

If I was working near the Airport and didn't like traffic I would look really hard at the River Ridge area. You can find neighborhoods in every price range and they can all get to the Airport in 10 minutes or less. There are a couple of nice neighborhoods down river road when you approach the Laplace area but I would ask around about how bad any neighborhood your interested in flooded during last years hurricane. Laplace got hit hard.

and by all means, get your butt out of ATL or you will indeed regret it.

yeah Zack probably has the best answer here - you don't get the full NO experience, but it has its own flavor, has access to a lot of useful areas, close to the airport and probably with the space you're looking for
and really- you're coming from Atl so everything is going to be an improvement

Are you going to buy right away or rent at first? If the latter, forget about flood maps. That's someone else's issue. If buying please proceed. But I'd spend some time in each possible neighborhood before jumping in on a home purchase.

If you want to be close to the airport, I would definitely look into River Ridge / Harahan, or Northwest Kenner (further west than the Esplanade Mall, and north of W. Esplanade are usually good areas)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom