Post-DrewBrees Rookie Class.. What Is It? (1 Viewer)

YeahSaintsWin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I'm not At ALL Delusional.. the first 3 picks will make the 53-Man Roster and the Saints want to keep all the draft selections. These guys can play!!

Fans know in recent years the Saints loaded up on veterans to better the chances at winning a Super Bowl with Drew Brees. What Tom Brady did with veteran players in Tampa, never won a Super Bowl for New Orleans but the process did create some massive roster holes. When there came a reckoning with the salary cap, there needed to be an executive decision on the direction to take... Enter Mode: RELOAD!!

Round 1, Pick #28.. Add DE Payton Turner (6-6, 270lbs) to the DL rotation Day One. Versatile and can play DE and 3-Tech DT, another long-armed, big-bodied player to added to Jordan and Davenport tandom. Turner will get significant reps. Plus, on those days when you want more pressure on Brady or Ryan, play all three and destroy pocket protection. What the Saints are building along the DL is a package no team in the NFC-South can block. The fact that the team lost so many reps (Hendrickson, Brown and Rankins) in free agency created a big hole that forced the move to prioritize DL. The Saints didn't add a free agent veterans, they have solid veterans. Instead of signing a veteran (might add a body after TC), the Saints opted for a play to grow a player in the program and the team may be grooming their Cam Jordan replacement?

Round 2, Pick #60.. LB Pete Werner (6-4, 240lbs) plays close to the line. Klein.. Anzalone.. Alonzo.. the Saints have been looking for the sure-tackling LB that gives you some "thump" in the middle of the defense. Werner has been a productive LB in the Big Ten and he can run with Slot WRs if he needs to -- added bonus. Werner joins young LBs Baun and Ellis and watches as Anzalone and Robertson find new homes. I was among those who liked Jabril Cox but, instead of drafting a Cover guy who could play LB, the Saints drafted a LB who could cover.

Round 3, Pick #76.. CB Paulson Adebo (6-1, 200lbs) will play as CB2 or CB3. We know why the Saints needed to draft a CB. In the last few seasons, the team had opted to sign veterans but those were expensive options. Adebo gives you four years on an affordable rookie contract and, given PRob's injury history, the Saints are gonna need him. Teams can pay Marshon Lattimore and keep him happy because there will be only one big paycheck in the CB Room. This should be a good room.

Round 4, Pick #133 - QB Ian Book.. Round 6, Pick #206 - OT Landon Young.. Round 7, Pick #255 - WR Kawaan Baker.. During the draft process, both Payton and Loomis talked about the path for rookies to make the team. The first three guys drafted have a clear path. The last three players selected, their path is not so clear.

Start with QB Ian Book.. Book is that developmental guy that Payton might see as a replacement for Taysom Hill. Book will have a tough time winning the backup job but a couple of seasons on the PS and he may make the roster. OT Landon Young heads into a camp battle. The OC, RG and RT are set for the next decade or better; however, LT and LG could see openings soon. A key battle between Young, Hurst, Throckmorton and Greenidge will decide the near future for the left side of the OL. And decide if the Saints will be drafting an OT early in next years draft. Finally, WR Kawaan Baker has been drafted into a WR Room filled with young, talented and unproven WRs. All are hungry!! Last season, the Saints dailed up close to 550 passing attempts. After MThomas gets 100 targets.. AKamara 80 targets.. Trautman 70 targets.. and 50 bubble screens.. there will will still be will still be 200-250 targets that will be gameplanned into the passing game. It's a tough WR room and that makes it fun.

Honorable Mention... UDFA RB Stevie Scott (6-1, 231lbs) is a LOAD!! I would compare Scott to Saints RB LMurray but there is no comparison. One cut, to and through the hole, then Scott is looking for contact. Namely to run over a DB or two before netting a 10-yard gain. This guy cut his teeth in the Big Ten where the Michigans and Wisconsins will embarass your team if they can't stop the run. Big Teams could not stop Stevie Scott. Scott still needs coaching and he won't remind you of Mark Ingram but he is a guy I like going into battle with.

Bottom line.. this was more than a depth-building draft. The Post Drew Brees Era has begun and the Saints needed to shake off big contracts with a lot of dead money on them. This offseason, the roster got stronger without adding pro-bowl veterans who cost a bundle and prevent adding younger roster talent. This draft showed the vision for the team. The Saints want to develop strong OLs and DLs and add skill players who complement the team and perform in the plays called. So far, so good.. now let's see them in Training Camp.

GO Saints!!!

The game truly is won in the trenches, and without strong lines, a team has no chance. So, that doesn't bother me. I guess my biggest concern is that we didn't double up on some positions of need and still have a hole in at least 1 major position group.

The game truly is won in the trenches, and without strong lines, a team has no chance. So, that doesn't bother me. I guess my biggest concern is that we didn't double up on some positions of need and still have a hole in at least 1 major position group.
I was looking for a double down on some positions, too. But the Saints don't need a bunch of rookies, the team needs to add rookies who can make the team.

Coaches have a big job. And the more players you add, the more coaching is stressed and less time to give players individual attention. We got who we got. And there will be cut downs where more players come available. So, after we know what we got and see who gets released, then there may be new faces.

I like where the team is.

GO Saints!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom