Post Saints Undrafted Free-Agent Signings Here (1 Viewer)

ONE player ftom the best conference in college football. But a number of players from the big 10 and pac 12, It is strange, in a way, how this staff really focuses on those two conferences, and not so much on the SEC. The SEC set another record this year and the Saints once again were not in the mix. Just a bit odd to me. That is all.

Perhaps because the SEC is so much in the spotlight that all 32 teams pick any talent it has clean and then salvage the bones hoping to find talent someone else missed. Meanwhile the Saints are giving the same amount of attention to other conferences as well allowing them to pick from a smorgasbord of talent being ignored by others too focused on the SEC. Is the 100th player taken from the SEC better than the 25th player taken from the PAC? Maybe not.

Based on the write ups I have seen, other than Roach, it looks like a pretty meh UDFA class. I guess the WRs are okay, but I'm just going to have to trust the folks who say that Calloway just didn't have a QB to throw to him to explain his lack of production. What I read seems to suggest that all he can really do is run deep and lacks the route running necessary in the NFL. Juwan Johnson looks a bit more intriguing. Big target, but I think he might be more of a guy that you put weight on and turn into a TE than a WR. But, I hope I'm wrong and a few camp beasts come out of this.

As far as the O-Line guys, I have no ability to tell if those guys are good so I just have to trust that the Saints know what they are doing. Of course, that's true of the other guys too. They are the pros so they know better than I do.

Based on the write ups I have seen, other than Roach, it looks like a pretty meh UDFA class. I guess the WRs are okay, but I'm just going to have to trust the folks who say that Calloway just didn't have a QB to throw to him to explain his lack of production. What I read seems to suggest that all he can really do is run deep and lacks the route running necessary in the NFL. Juwan Johnson looks a bit more intriguing. Big target, but I think he might be more of a guy that you put weight on and turn into a TE than a WR. But, I hope I'm wrong and a few camp bests come out of this.

As far as the O-Line guys, I have no ability to tell if those guys are good so I just have to trust that the Saints know what they are doing. Of course, that's true of the other guys too. They are the pros so they know better than I do.
I'm with you. The receivers aren't bad but they don't impress me a great deal. The defensive players you mentioned are nice, and I'm also a fan of Keith Washington. He's got some speed and playmaking ability along with the height to play outside. Given our opening there, he has as good a shot as anyone to crack the final 55. I also like the MAC guard.

The player that impresses me the least is the running back. We've gotten lots of good prospects over the years, whether we kept them or not. I don't see anything special about the one we got except for some pass protection and special teams coverage ability, which is probably why we picked him. Seems like a poor man's Daniel Lasco. I really thought with us having only four RBs under contract, and our track record at that position, that we could have picked up someone better than that.

The player that impresses me the least is the running back. We've gotten lots of good prospects over the years, whether we kept them or not. I don't see anything special about the one we got except for some pass protection and special teams coverage ability, which is probably why we picked him. Seems like a poor man's Daniel Lasco. I really thought with us having only four RBs under contract, and our track record at that position, that we could have picked up someone better than that.

Yeah, the Notre Dame RB did not impress me. Just looked like a big guy that got by at ND because they have more talent than the competition they play. He showed decent patience but he didn't seem to have much quickness or wiggle, and didn't seem willing to use his size to be a power runner.

I was really hoping to get Arizona St. RB Eno Benjamin as an UDFA, but Arizona took him in the 7th. I accidenatly saw him against Oregon late one night and I was impressed with him.

I'm not sure how you arrived at 77; I've got 74. Some of the information on the Saints' site is inaccurate. 74 + 12 = 86.
That's my number also, gotta figure at least 1 of the remaining spots go to a vet QB.

I went and checked OTC, Sportrac and NFLPA and came up with 73-75. I don't remember which sites, but Tommy Stevens had not been included yet. Maybe just not updated yet. So the 77 I had was high we should have 3-5 spots left. I will change the original post. Thanks guys.

Looking at the tape on them.
Callaway, Throckmorton, Roach, Joe Bachie, Tino Ellis may have the best chance of making the roster.
I personally like Callaway.

You know what is amazing that Josh Hill was an undrafted free agent in 2013 and is still on the team. He has outlasted most players since his rookie year.

And when he was concussed early in the season, what percentage of the plays did Payton say that they couldn't run? I want to say something like 58%. The dude has a special role...almost too special.

And when he was concussed early in the season, what percentage of the plays did Payton say that they couldn't run? I want to say something like 58%. The dude has a special role...almost too special.
I forgot about that. Losing Josh Hill just murdered a big chunk of the playbook mid-game. Another reason the Troutman pick was smart.

Perhaps because the SEC is so much in the spotlight that all 32 teams pick any talent it has clean and then salvage the bones hoping to find talent someone else missed. Meanwhile the Saints are giving the same amount of attention to other conferences as well allowing them to pick from a smorgasbord of talent being ignored by others too focused on the SEC. Is the 100th player taken from the SEC better than the 25th player taken from the PAC? Maybe not.

LFDC: This is one of the most perceptive posts on so many levels... great job! :9:

:potd:

:gosaints:

I love the undrafted pickups, I really think Roach & Joe Bachie make the team. I think Bachie is a great pickup and might play meaningful minutes at some point.

I think Bachie backs up the MLB spot and contributes on special teams, I'm not to sure about Roach because he's have to unseat the top DT and with Rankins, Onyematta, Tuttle, Edwards atop the depth chart he has a tough Hill to climb.

But Bachie to me has the biggest chance of making this roster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom