Post Saints Undrafted Free-Agent Signings Here (1 Viewer)

I'm not seeing what you are seeing in Jones, Jr. But I hope you are right and I'm wrong.

I'm not seeing it either upon further review. Saints may get that backup running back during final cut down day before they shape their roster.

I agree. I'm not sure how he went undrafted. He and Baun have great instincts and get there real quickly once they diagnose the play.
Bachie was suspended the last 5 games of the season for testing positive for PED's. So where most draft analysts were seeing him as a 2nd or 3th round pick, he dropped.

Not sure how much whatever PED that he tested positive for had to do with his outstading play, but I am hoping, not much, if any. I was thrilled at the signing just in the hope that whatever he was taking had little to do with his prior performance.

Just judging from those highlights, I can't see why he was starting, much less what the Saints saw in him to sign him.

I agree. He was usually the first man to arrive after the ball carrier was tackle every time though.
Seriously, he looks slow, and has zero aggressiveness.

This is always one of my favorite threads of the year........in fact, I basically never watch Day 3 draft coverage (it's Saturday and when pandemics aren't going on, it's typically a good day to do late-April things away from home)...........opting instead to read about any day 3 picks on here.....and yes, checking out the UDFA thread that gets generated at the conclusion of the draft.

Love love love the Callaway pickup! Great kid with lots of playmaking ability. I've enjoyed watching him play for my Vols and I really wanted the Saints to get him. šŸ˜

How crazy would that be if another Volunteer for the Saints ended up having a better pro career than college? And if my timeline is right on all this.....he and Kamara would have been together out there for at least one season?

Based on the write ups I have seen, other than Roach, it looks like a pretty meh UDFA class. I guess the WRs are okay, but I'm just going to have to trust the folks who say that Calloway just didn't have a QB to throw to him to explain his lack of production. What I read seems to suggest that all he can really do is run deep and lacks the route running necessary in the NFL. Juwan Johnson looks a bit more intriguing. Big target, but I think he might be more of a guy that you put weight on and turn into a TE than a WR. But, I hope I'm wrong and a few camp beasts come out of this.

As far as the O-Line guys, I have no ability to tell if those guys are good so I just have to trust that the Saints know what they are doing. Of course, that's true of the other guys too. They are the pros so they know better than I do.

Just to add a little more Callawayā€™s QB issue in college. His two most explosive plays this year came after the starter got hurt. He burned the Georgia D for a 70 yard TD. He then burned South Carolina for a 60-70 yard TD. Both throws were by two different true freshman QBs who filled in for the starter. If you watch his highlights they are pretty much filled with jump balls bc the starter had the worst deep ball I have seen in some time and underthrew him constantly.

As you mentioned his biggest question is route running. Did not see a lot from him other than the deep ball, but again that is somewhat due to QB play.

I don't know anything about any of these signings. I've literally watched 0.00 hours of tape.

But based on name alone, I really hope Malcolm Roach makes the team.

You know what is amazing that Josh Hill was an undrafted free agent in 2013 and is still on the team. He has outlasted most players since his rookie year.
When Josh Hill initially made the team, many said, "Who????? Why?????" And yet, as someone pointed out later in this thread, when he was injured, the offense had to abandon a large percentage of the planned plays.

I really like the Tino Ellis signing -- there's something about that kid and he plays tough with a good build for playing outside. If he can learn quickly, he's my underdog to make the roster considering our lack of depth there.
Ellis will be reunited with Saints CB coach Corey Robinson, who coached him at Maryland :)

My son-in-law is a big Oregon Ducks fan. Says Throckmorton is a real stud. That Johnson had some great catches, but couldn't tell me much about Cumberland.

Why? I am serious about it. I know you know Roach better.

Most of us watch a game or two of different prospects. I assume you have a better idea than most of us.

FYI, I asked @60minutes to write a similar post about Cesar Ruiz.

Geez....
I asked the same thing of LC earlier (maybe in another thread), but I guess he saw yours first. I was surprised he didn't think it to be a sincere request, too.

I went and checked the Saints roster. We have 77 slots accounted for including today's draftees. We have commitments from 12 UDFAs now. That gets our roster to 89 leaving room for one more UDFA unless we cut somebody.

It seems that Jameis Winston will be player #90.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom