Post your draft-day reactions (1 Viewer)

canuckredux

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Where were you and what were you doing on draft day in previous years? How did you react to the Saints picks?

1999: (I wasn't watching, but I heard about it from some guy in a bar.)
CR: So, where did Ricky Williams get drafted?
SG: He went to New Orleans.

CR pumps fist in excitement...
SG: Not so fast...

CR cringes.

2000: Wasn't watching, since there was nothing to be seen. :(

2001, watching at work (a bar; slow day):

PT: "With the, uh, 23rd choice in the 2001 NFL Draft...
CR: I have no idea who this will be.
PT: ...the New Orleans Saints select Deuce McAllister, running back, Mississippi.

CR stares in awe, gives slow clap.

2002, watching at work (a bar; slow day):

PT: With the, uh, 13th choice in the 2002 NFL Draft...
CR is on the tip of his toes.
CR: HAYNESWORTH!!!! HAYNESWORTH!!!! HAYNESWORTH!!!!
PT: ... the New Orleans Saints select...
CR: HAYNESWORTH!!!!
PT: Donte Stallworth, wide receiver, Tennessee.

CR yells veiled profanity, throws menu. The drafting of Charles Grant goes unnoticed. Is grumpy for the rest of the day and still is 6 years later.

2003:

At the #6 pick, the Arizona Cardinals logo turns to a fleur de lis. CR jumps for joy.

PT: We have a trade to announce.

CR is still jumping.

CR: Suggs? Trufant? Williams? Trufant? Trufant?
PT: With the, uh, 6th choice in the 2003 NFL draft...
CR: Trufant?
CR: Suggs? Williams?
PT: Jonathan Sullivan, defensive tackle, Georgia.

CR hears 2 things: The collective shock of the crowd and his chin hitting the floor. CR headbutts the couch, grabs the phone and starts calling random friends to yell.

CR still grumpy 5 years later.

2004:

PT: We have a trade to announce; Denver is now on the clock.
CR is very nervous.
PT: With the, uh, 17th choice in the 2004 NFL Draft, the Denver Broncos select...
CR & PT in stereo: D.J. Williams, linebacker, Miami.
CR: What now?
PT: With the, uh, 18th choice in the 2004 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select Will Smith, defensive end, Ohio State.
CR: Hmmm... interesting.

2005:

Houston Texans logo turns to fleur de lis.

CR hops to his feet and is hopping on his toes like he hasn't gone to the bathroom for a week. Begins calling friends to share the joy of the moment Derrick Johnson is drafted. Phone is ringing. Tags walks to the podium.

PT: With the, uh, 13th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft...
CR's face is red.
CR: DJ!!!! DJ!!!! DJ!!!!
Phone is still ringing.
PT: The New Orleans Saints select...
CR: [size=+5}DJ!!!![/size]
PT: Jammal Brown, offensive tackle, Oklahoma.
CR drops phone, is angry for a while, then decides he's OK with the pick. :D

2006:

Who wasn't grinning from ear to ear all morning?

2007:

RG: With the 27th choice in the 2007 NFL Draft...
CR: Houston? Puz?
RG: ... the New Orleans Saints select Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee.
CR: Hmmm... cool. Aren't we leaving the D a little shaky? Nah, we've got Jason David; he just won a Super Bowl.

Where were you and what were you doing on draft day in previous years? How did you react to the Saints picks?

CR: So, where did Ricky Williams get drafted?
SG: He went to New Orleans.

CR pumps fist in excitement...
SG: Not so fast...

CR cringes.

2000: Wasn't watching, since there was nothing to be seen. :(

2001, watching at work (a bar; slow day):

PT: "With the, uh, 23rd choice in the 2001 NFL Draft...
CR: I have no idea who this will be.
PT: ...the New Orleans Saints select Deuce McAllister, running back, Mississippi.

CR stares in awe, gives slow clap.

2002, watching at work (a bar; slow day):

PT: With the, uh, 13th choice in the 2002 NFL Draft...
CR is on the tip of his toes.
CR: HAYNESWORTH!!!! HAYNESWORTH!!!! HAYNESWORTH!!!!
CR: HAYNESWORTH!!!!
PT: Donte Stallworth, wide receiver, Tennessee.

CR yells veiled profanity, throws menu. The drafting of Charles Grant goes unnoticed. Is grumpy for the rest of the day and still is 6 years later.

2003:

At the #6 pick, the Arizona Cardinals logo turns to a fleur de lis. CR jumps for joy.

PT: We have a trade to announce.

CR is still jumping.

CR: Suggs? Trufant? Williams? Trufant? Trufant?
PT: With the, uh, 6th choice in the 2003 NFL draft...
CR: Trufant?
CR: Suggs? Williams?
PT: Jonathan Sullivan, defensive tackle, Georgia.

CR hears 2 things: The collective shock of the crowd and his chin hitting the floor. CR headbutts the couch, grabs the phone and starts calling random friends to yell.

CR still grumpy 5 years later.

2004:

PT: We have a trade to announce; Denver is now on the clock.
CR is very nervous.
PT: With the, uh, 17th choice in the 2004 NFL Draft, the Denver Broncos select...
CR & PT in stereo: D.J. Williams, linebacker, Miami.
CR: What now?
PT: With the, uh, 18th choice in the 2004 NFL Draft, the New Orleans Saints select Will Smith, defensive end, Ohio State.
CR: Hmmm... interesting.

2005:

CR hops to his feet and is hopping on his toes like he hasn't gone to the bathroom for a week. Begins calling friends to share the joy of the moment Derrick Johnson is drafted. Phone is ringing. Tags walks to the podium.

PT: With the, uh, 13th choice in the 2005 NFL Draft...
CR's face is red.
CR: DJ!!!! DJ!!!! DJ!!!!
Phone is still ringing.
PT: The New Orleans Saints select...
CR: [size=+5}DJ!!!![/size]
CR drops phone, is angry for a while, then decides he's OK with the pick. :D

2006:

Who wasn't grinning from ear to ear all morning?

2007:

RG: With the 27th choice in the 2007 NFL Draft...
CR: Houston? Puz?
CR: Hmmm... cool. Aren't we leaving the D a little shaky? Nah, we've got Jason David; he just won a Super Bowl.

after the 07 1st pick i turned off the t.v. i was thinkin alan branch, or chris houston! hope mech works out tho.

2007: with the 24th pick the new england patriots select: Brandon Merriweather

at this point i was jumping for joy!

I knew we had Paul Poslusnzy in the bag

then came the pick...

i turned off the tv too

funny thing is my girl.... well my girl at the time:hihi: threw me this big draft party. id been talkin all week about the possible guys we'd pick, i even had d-bowe as one our guys at 27. when we picked rm she was like wow! what happened? i pretty much just partied the rest of the draft............

With Bush in 2006. I found out the previous night when the texans signed Mario. I then went out to a party and won 24 straight games of beer pong and then left with my winning streak intact.

- I was happy

PT: "With the 11th pick in the 1996 NFL draft..."
bop: "Eddie George!"
PT: "the New Orleans Saints select....."
bop: *Heisman poses*
PT: "Alex Molden, CB, Oregon"
bop: *RAGE!* Gone were my days of youthful innocence. A little piece of me died forever on that day.

PT: "With the 10th pick in the 1997 NFL draft...."
bop: "Nobody I really want, kinda was hoping for a trade."
PT: "the New Orleans saints select...."
bop: "Oh well, plenty of solid players to be had with the 10th pick. Whoever it is will undoubtedly turn out to be a beast."
PT: "Chris Naeole, G, Colorado."
bop: "Tell me we didnt just spend the 10th pick on a freakin guard."

Im not gonna lie. I was pumped to finally have a superstar RB and told myself we would make up for the lost draft picks in FA signings :covri:

Wanted to keep the 2 1st rounders but was pumped that we would be getting a beastly defensive player.

PT: ".....the New Orleans Saints select Johnathan Sullivan, DT, Georgia."
bop: (in an angry, bitter tone) "Oh my God! We could have kept the 2 first rounders and gotten him at 10!!!" (growing more angry by the second) "@#$&, we probably could have gotten him at 19!!!!!!!)

Im not gonna lie on this one either.....

bop: "Yes, Meachem is still there!"
RG: "With the 27th choice in the 2007 NFL draft..."
bop: "Add him to our already awesome offense and we will be unstoppable. We wont even need a D because we will outscore every team we play"
RG: "the New Orleans Saints select Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee."
bop: "Super Bowl!" :covri:

Little did I know he would be the first ever non-QB, non-season ending injury having first round rookie to never even sniff the field once. :covri:

Last edited:

PT: "With the 11th pick in the 1996 NFL draft..."
bop: "Eddie George!"
PT: "the New Orleans Saints select....."
bop: *Heisman poses*
bop: *RAGE!* Gone were my days of youthful innocence. A little piece of me died forever on that day.

PT: "With the 10th pick in the 1997 NFL draft...."
bop: "Nobody I really want, kinda was hoping for a trade."
PT: "the New Orleans saints select...."
bop: "Oh well, plenty of solid players to be had with the 10th pick. Whoever it is will undoubtedly turn out to be a beast."
PT: "Chris Naeole, G, Colorado."
bop: "Tell me we didnt just spend the 10th pick on a freakin guard."

Im not gonna lie. I was pumped to finally have a superstar RB and told myself we would make up for the lost draft picks in FA signings :covri:

Wanted to keep the 2 1st rounders but was pumped that we would be getting a beastly defensive player.

PT: ".....the New Orleans Saints select Johnathan Sullivan, DT, Georgia."
bop: (in an angry, bitter tone) "Oh my God! We could have kept the 2 first rounders and gotten him at 10!!!" (growing more angry by the second) "@#$&, we probably could have gotten him at 19!!!!!!!)

Im not gonna lie on this one either.....

bop: "Yes, Meachem is still there!"
RG: "With the 27th choice in the 2007 NFL draft..."
bop: "Add him to our already awesome offense and we will be unstoppable. We wont even need a D because we will outscore every team we play"
bop: "Super Bowl!" :covri:

Little did I know he would be the first ever non-QB, non-season ending injury having first round rookie to never even sniff the field once. :covri:

hey now is saw him running routes, that one day.......:lol:

for the meachem pick :

i went on my knees when the jets selected revis
i punched my TV when the giants select ross

i was yelling all evening , sitting with my friends in the garden.... they didnt understand.
than the saints were on the clock. at this moment i swear i was cheering highly for meachem. i didnt want to see reaching for houston or taking ben grubbs. then they selected meachem and i jumped accross my room.

as for the other years :

2004 , i was hoping for DJ Williams too. i went to birthday just two picks before the saints were on the clock. a friend mailed me the selection. to be honest i wasnt that happy. and this year i begin to doubt the pick
2005, same here i was the biggest derrick johnson homer on the german board. i hoped the saints do something right the first time for long on the defensive side. i was very ****** after the selection , a couple of months. right now jammal is one of my favourites and DJ didnt play THAT Good in KC.
2006, , i was ****** until preseason game against cleveland . then i was okay , now i start to doubt the pick. at this moment i wanted aj hawk so bad and i wouln´t have been upset with ferguson also. after the selection i hoped the jets to sell the farm to get a trade ... but it didnt happen , we kept bush

for the meachem pick :

i went on my knees when the jets selected revis
i punched my TV when the giants select ross

i was yelling all evening , sitting with my friends in the garden.... they didnt understand.
than the saints were on the clock. at this moment i swear i was cheering highly for meachem. i didnt want to see reaching for houston or taking ben grubbs. then they selected meachem and i jumped accross my room.

as for the other years :

2004 , i was hoping for DJ Williams too. i went to birthday just two picks before the saints were on the clock. a friend mailed me the selection. to be honest i wasnt that happy. and this year i begin to doubt the pick
2005, same here i was the biggest derrick johnson homer on the german board. i hoped the saints do something right the first time for long on the defensive side. i was very ****** after the selection , a couple of months. right now jammal is one of my favourites and DJ didnt play THAT Good in KC.
2006, , i was ****** until preseason game against cleveland . then i was okay , now i start to doubt the pick. at this moment i wanted aj hawk so bad and i wouln´t have been upset with ferguson also. after the selection i hoped the jets to sell the farm to get a trade ... but it didnt happen , we kept bush

You must have been one of the very few people anywhere to be unhappy with the Bush pick. Like you I am starting to doubt the pick now though...

I was hoping for Greg Olsen last year in the 1st... and I was disappointed when we drafted Meachem.

I actually like the Meachem more now than I did when we selected him.

I also wanted Marcus McNeal instead of Roman Harper... and I still do.

HAHAHAHAH stupid damned saints. Wait, this sucks, we need a RB. DAMMIT!!!

"Chris Naeole, G, Colorado."
A guard? really? Ditka knows what he is doin...

WE SCORED RICKY!!!

2000: we dont have a draft because we have a RB who sits in his locker with his helmet on and pouts...

the New Orleans Saints select Deuce McAllister, running back, Mississippi.
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!! You social retard. we just drafted your replacement!!!

stallpepper
damn...

2003:

Jonathan Sullivan, defensive tackle, Georgia.
YOU STUPID arses!!! SON OF A *****. YOU PIECE OF ****!!!

2004:
Will Smith, defensive end, Ohio State.
all the guys we need arent there so we take another DE??? ok...

2005:

will we ever draft a CB? we need a tackle so this isnt bad, i guess...

2006:

YAY!!!

2007:
New Orleans Saints select Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee.

why on earth did we not trade down? why didnt we take houston? why did we not look at Defense? why are we getting another damn wide out?

1999:

At my Paw Paws (RIP) camp in Mississippi listening to WWL and was pretty pumped up about the Ricky pick at the time. Went out back and threw the football with my brother.

2001:

Watched this one at my house by myself and was waiting for the pick, hoping it would be Deuce. I never would have thought he would have been the player he turned out to be though. I remember jumping up on the bed being pumped up.

The Donte, Smith, and Grant picks I really thought well off. Just don't remember being to overly excited.

I was at the Saints draft party that was inside of the facility. I remember right before we went on the clock with the trade there was a man walk behind me talking to some front office guy saying we are trading up and picking Jamal Brown. Pretty cool to see it ahead of time. I really wanted Derrick Johnson and so did most of the guest that were in there.

The night before we went to watch a band at a fair and already started drinking rather early. I then got a text saying that Houston was going to pick Mario. That set the night off and we walked around telling everyone that we were going to get Reggie. The next day we went to the same draft party in the facility. The whole place was electric and Romig was on the pa system saying...FIIRRRST DOWN REGGGIE BUSHHH.. Then they showed on tv what it looked like across the street at the WWL draft fest. That was just amazing.

How far back do you want to go? The first draft where I sat and watched the whole thing was in 1988

1988 -I was thrilled when we got "Ironhead", because the sting of being manhandled by the Vikes in the playoffs still burned 3 months later.

1989 - Wayne Martin... I always got more excited by offensive skill players

1990 - Thought Renaldo Turnbull was O.K., but I really liked Eric Green -the big tight end who went to the Steelers

1991 -No 1st rounder thanks to Steve Walsh, and didn't like trading Brett Perriman the year before. Wesley Carroll wasn't even on my radar... Interesting trivia: Ricky Watters was drafted two picks later...

1992 - Vaughn Dunbar -actually thought he had a legitimate chance to be rookie of the year given the strength of the Saints at that time. Wanted speed at wide receiver, though.

1993 -Pat Swilling was one of my favorite Saints, so trading him so they could draft for Willie Roaf bothered me back then. In retrospect, it was one of the best draft day trades the Saints ever made. Was very happy when they drafted Irv Smith. Who knew Wesley Walls would actually be the TE I thought Smith would be.

1994 - Wanted Aaron Glenn, was happy with Joe Johnson

1995 - First draft fest I ever attended -took place in the Superdome. Was thrilled watching Warren Sapp drop, only to see Tampa take him right in front of us. The CW all that day had the Saints drafting Ellis Johnson, and when Mark Fields was taken, there was a stunned silence -only Mike Detillier kept insisting that he was a good player and worth the #13 pick.

1996 -Wanted Tim Biakabutuka... didn't think much about Eddie George, although that certainly was the buzz once Biakabutuka came off the board. Was a bit of a homer in wanting Eddie Kennison. Very disappointed in the selection of Alex Molden -especially because we just signed Eric Allen in FA.

1997 -Very puzzling draft... Peter Finney had the Saints taking Antowain Smith in the 1st (he ended up going in the top of the 2nd). I really had no favorites, but thought a quarterback (I didn't care much for the Heath Shuler trade -and I actually liked Jim Drunkenmiller) and/or a running back was needed.

1998 -Kyle Turley was the talk all the way leading up to the draft, so it was pretty much a given they were going to draft him in the 1st. No surprise there.

1999 -Thrilled we got Ricky Williams; thought he was going to be the next Earl Campbell. Give the past three drafts, didn't think much of what they were going to draft anyway. Spent much of draft weekend targeting UDFA.

2000 - Spent the day praying someone good would fall to us. Got Darren Howard and had one of the best drafts in team history.

2001- Stunned they took Deuce McAllister, but began wondering if they would take him as he slid down the draft.

2002 - Wanted in order: Henderson, Haynesworth and Wendell Bryant. Loved the Stallworth pick (Shockey would have been my other choice), didn't think much of Grant

2003 -Understood the rationale behind the drafting of Sullivan... thought the move was a good one at the time. Ty Warren or Kevin Williams were my fallback choices if the trade couldn't have been made. In hindsight, of course, it shouldn't have been. Would have loved to have gotten Jason Witten in the 2nd though.

2004 -REALLY wanted Vilma or DJ Williams... Thought there was an interesting decision to make between Wilfork and Will Smith, but given the drafting of Sullivan and where Smith was projected, liked the Smith pick.

2005 -The talk all week was either Thomas Davis or Jammal Brown. Had no interest in Alex Barron and liked Derrick Johnson. Like the Turley senario, Brown's selection didn't really elicit much excitement from me.

2006 - No questions here... loved the pick. If Bush would have been gone, I wanted the Saints to trade down to get Fergerson and Mangold. If Bush were gone and no trade, then AJ Hawk.

2007 -Wanted Greg Olsen... didn't warm up to Meachem. Disappointed that they passed on him.

Last edited:
First ever draft was 07.
Hadn't watched a minute of College football in my life, all I knew was JaMarcus Russell was going first and Calvin Johnson was great.
I watched us select Meachem and looked up who he was. Turned out he was projected to go early 20s, and was 6-3 and fast. First thing I thought was, Colston, Meachem, Henderson? I hope we don't run up the score too much on the Colts.
I also admit that I was not that familiar with the game and killed about 2 hours waiting for the Saints to pick in the 2nd round
:covri:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom