Postseason Defense (1 Viewer)

JimmyB1775

Guy behind the guy
Reaction score
Someone give me some analysis here.
San Fran was second best in the regular season in points allowed. Seattle was first. Seattle had 15.3 I think. In the playoffs, San Fran gave up 29.7 which was second most to only Denver (38 in one game). How do they go from 2nd best to 2nd worst?

I realize they're playing better teams but they're not the defensive powerhouse we thought, right?

I get that. It was awful. Makes Whitner look like Jenkins. Or Jenkins like Whitner. Regardless, they have performed as a unit all season long. So why now? Baltimore usually employs a huge offensive line, but so what? Playing 16 games and coming in at second in pts/allowed is consistency. So what happened?

Teams found a way to make Aldon Smith a non-factor. It actually started the last few games of the season. Also Justin Smith is not healthy. No pass rush without those two.

They really attacked the aggressive play of the 49ers safeties. That was the formula all season... Keep the game close so you could attack the 9ers w play action. Only the ravens did it a lot with double moves and just good route design. They executed on their homeruns. And Flacco made some great decisions under pressure.

I get that. It was awful. Makes Whitner look like Jenkins. Or Jenkins like Whitner. Regardless, they have performed as a unit all season long. So why now? Baltimore usually employs a huge offensive line, but so what? Playing 16 games and coming in at second in pts/allowed is consistency. So what happened?

because in the playoffs, teams are only guaranteed next week if they win.

In the regular season, especially early on, you have the remaining schedule to "make up ground". So emphasis isnt as acute as it is in the post-season.

But I would argue that there were signs for SF leading into the playoffs. Specifically the Seattle game.

And if OCs can start to break down a specific unit ( i.e. attack LBs in coverage ) then DC's have to adjust somewhere, in game. Give the OC the upper hand in play calling and scheming.

I actually thought the 9ers got se decent pressure. The ravens tackles did a great job sealing up the edges. Fangio doesn't do really anything fancy. Not a big blitzer. Just stunts here and there. Ravens picked it up well, and again, Flacco did a great job of avoiding the pressure and getting rid of the ball.

Also, running game.

They really attacked the aggressive play of the 49ers safeties. That was the formula all season... Keep the game close so you could attack the 9ers w play action. Only the ravens did it a lot with double moves and just good route design. They executed on their homeruns. And Flacco made some great decisions under pressure.

agreed.

He looked quite under control ( collected ). Didnt seem like the game, for him, was too big. Made proper reads and calls. ( I will say Boldin bailed his butt out on that 3rd down audible ). But the TD to Pitta was a great read. Made some great throws, they consistently tested the deep ball, which i liked.

as an aside....at what point does the league step in on Whitners' CONSTANT 20 yd take off and spear when a RB has been tackled already? He did that at least 3 times in this game on Ray Rice.

Arrogance. Not many pemalties going their way. A number of things. But the NFL to most ppl is a papered game. That's what separates the sharps from the public. I don't care if a QB is playing with no leg, at some point he's going to show the "best" team on paper that they're crap. Happens all the time. Not to that extent but look at Balty vs Denver. Manning will carve them up! No way balty wins. Seahawks will slam Atlanta. SF curb stomps balty. Indy beats the saints in SB 44. No way Eli beats Brady a 2nd time. See where I'm going with this? You're the public. You have to look at it in a different light to see how it takes place. The why? It's a number of things.

Read this:

02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
rarely do sb's turn out as you think, usually if you get it right it is mostly luck.
high scoring teams don't score, lesser teams blow out the opponent..etc..
this has been an exceptional playoffs for me and has seemed to consistently reflect trends and situational plays more than ever in recent history...so no reason to change now.

some interesting trends that pay year in and out in playoff situation have been gold and for this game, here we go.

*as we all know the dog has been gold going 8-3 ats in last 11 bowls. (balt)
*sb teams off b2b road games are 5-2 su and 6-0-1 ats s 99 (balt)
*in last 11 sb's, the team with the better regular season record has went 1-10 ats and 0-9 ats in last 9 straight
(balt 10-6)
(sf 11-4-1)
*any playoff team including sb teams off b2b games totalling 70+pts are 3-8 su and ats s 83 (sf 45+28)

my 20+pt playoff system which projected sf in the bowl not only came in, but has a twist..
the lower rated team of the 2 participants according to the #'s has went 10-3-1 ats s 98 and 6-1 su with a 7-0 ats record s 05.
(sf+20)
(bal+3)

gynecologist mentioned in his thread about flacco throwing 8td's in the playoffs with 0 interceptions, he left off the fact that this happened with 5 qb's prior to this feat, each time that team has gone on to not only win the game but get elected game mvp.

86 simms 8-0 won 39-20
89 montana 11-0 won 55-10
92 aikman 8-0 won 52-17
94 young 9-0 won 49-26
09 brees 8-0 won 31-17

how many times does this happen before it stops being called a coincidence, or is it possible most people just don't recognize a qb who is playing at his best.

this would fit perfectly into my mathematical outcome of the total points scored in the game, average these past outcomes in this situation and you have a final score of 45-18.
in using my shutdown system to determine the final point total the game comes out to a 14pt win and final score of baltimore 34-20.
this would play into baltimore's qb having a big day (unexpected), sf's defense surrendering large pts(unexpected), and maybe even history repeating itself once again and flacco being named mvp of the game...also (unexpected)

Someone give me some analysis here.
San Fran was second best in the regular season in points allowed. Seattle was first. Seattle had 15.3 I think. In the playoffs, San Fran gave up 29.7 which was second most to only Denver (38 in one game). How do they go from 2nd best to 2nd worst?

I realize they're playing better teams but they're not the defensive powerhouse we thought, right?

Justin Smith's tricep.

He's that important to the 9er's defense.

The lack of a pass rush exposed their secondary .
This. I was really impressed with Baltimore's O line. They only allowed 1 sack of Flacco. Flacco showed some escapability, but, c'mon, it's not like he's Russell Wilson or even Kaepernick when it comes to scrambling. Their O line simply did a great job matching the Whiners' physicality. I also think the injury to Justin Smith hurt the Whiners' pass rush. Finally, while Baltimore did not run for a lot of yards, they stuck with the run and got first down yardage running the ball in several crucial third and short situations. Notice that they had very few negative rushes and instead were almost always pushing the ball forward. If we want to play with the big boys in the postseason, we're going to have to get tougher in the trenches. Plain and simple.

Justin Smith's tricep.

He's that important to the 9er's defense.

You beat me to i... I was just about to say that Justin Smith's ineffectiveness (with the bad tricep) is the reason why there was no pass rush.

Justin opens things up for Aldon, and when teams are shifting their blocking to that side of the line... Ahmad Brooks gets good matchups on the other.

Once their pas rush was neutralized their secondary got exposed (sounds familiar doesn't it?). Yeah they can hit on the back-end.. but not the best cover guys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom