Potential Breakout Players for the Saints this Season (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Saints quarterback Jameis Winston would be the obvious choice as the number one player that could have a breakout season with the team in 2021. He plays the most important position on the team, the quarterback, and is taking over for a future Hall of Famer in Drew Brees.
All signs point to him having a huge season under the guidance of Sean Payton. However, the starting job is not guaranteed and is still being decided with training camp going on.

TQS leads all WR in yards per catch. Sean wants to push the ball a little further down field. I think TQS will benefit from that dynamic. It is still up to him, but he will get the targets to have a great season.

Next: Calloway is my next breakout player. He looked like a vet last season, in his rookie yr. Could get early kick return duties.

HM: Granderson can get to the QB. He has never been a starter, but look very good when he got the chance.

This one is easy......Adam Trautman. He will have every chance to excel, little to no competition behind him, and he is a damn good receiver. He will break out into a real threat this season.
What worry about Trautman is the expectation people have for him. Understandable because there aren't any real competition behind him. But keep in mind of the very limited stats and touches he had last season. Beside a few blocking assignment and a touchdown, he really didn't do much to make me feel better about the tight end position.

I know this probably will not happen but if one of the young LBs flash, that would be great. Outside of that, TQS & Calloway would be fine.

A few players come to mind, with TQS and Trautman leading the pack and I think Calloway and LJH will see significant jumps in production.

What worry about Trautman is the expectation people have for him. Understandable because there aren't any real competition behind him. But keep in mind of the very limited stats and touches he had last season. Beside a few blocking assignment and a touchdown, he really didn't do much to make me feel better about the tight end position.

Keep in mind Jimmy Graham's rookie season, he wasn't that big of a factor and nobody could have seen 2011 coming. Trautman's rookie season being marred with COVID definitely had a negative impact, especially since the Saints offense is widely regarded as the most complex in the NFL. It is a huge reason why Saints offensive players typically have second year breakouts instead of sophomore slumps. I'm not saying Trautman's 2021 will be like Graham's 2011, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if Trautman puts up pretty strong numbers regardless of who is QB.

Hogan and all of our young WRs, Smith, Callaway, Harris, and Humphrey, will all see major improvement and become a really solid WR core a quarter into the regular season.

I think a different receiver will have a breakout game each week. Callaway will probably be the receiver to consistently have a 4+/50+ stat line each week. But I can see Smith, Hogan, Callaway and Harris all taking turns each week with 100+ receiving yard games because of the deep ball plays.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom