Potential Cap Casualties and Restructures (1 Viewer)

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is really good.

"Brees has the NFL's fourth-largest 2021 salary cap number at $36.15 million. Assuming Brees retires, he and the Saints should agree to reduce his $25 million 2021 base salary to $1.075 million, his 2021 league minimum salary, in order for $23.925 million cap relief to be gained instantly. The Saints would need to carry Brees on the roster until June 2 to keep the $11.5 million in bonus proration relating to his voiding 2022 and 2023 contract years from becoming a 2021 cap charge.

At this point, Brees would be placed on the reserve/retired list and his $1.075 million base salary would also come off the books for additional cap relief. Instead of taking the full $22.65 million of dead money, a salary cap charge for a player no longer on a team's roster, in 2021 by placing Brees on the reserve/retired list prior to June 2, there would $11.15 in 2021 and $11.5 million in 2022 this way."

Most of that doesn't hurt my feelings but letting Janoris Jenkins go would really hurt the defense and possibly require us to draft a corner in the 1st round. I don't think saving 2.5mil by releasing Murray would help us very much when we have to spend some of that on a replacement. I do hate the not re-signing Hendrickson part. Hopefully we figure out a way to make it happen. If not we probably get a 3rd round comp pick for him. But he's worth a lot more than that.

Most of that doesn't hurt my feelings but letting Janoris Jenkins go would really hurt the defense and possibly require us to draft a corner in the 1st round. I don't think saving 2.5mil by releasing Murray would help us very much when we have to spend some of that on a replacement. I do hate the not re-signing Hendrickson part. Hopefully we figure out a way to make it happen. If not we probably get a 3rd round comp pick for him. But he's worth a lot more than that.

This Team is going to look different and when the dust clears I think the drafted players take precedence over the FA guys who were brought in for the Drew Brees Super Bowl Run.

This is really good.

"Brees has the NFL's fourth-largest 2021 salary cap number at $36.15 million. Assuming Brees retires, he and the Saints should agree to reduce his $25 million 2021 base salary to $1.075 million, his 2021 league minimum salary, in order for $23.925 million cap relief to be gained instantly. The Saints would need to carry Brees on the roster until June 2 to keep the $11.5 million in bonus proration relating to his voiding 2022 and 2023 contract years from becoming a 2021 cap charge.

At this point, Brees would be placed on the reserve/retired list and his $1.075 million base salary would also come off the books for additional cap relief. Instead of taking the full $22.65 million of dead money, a salary cap charge for a player no longer on a team's roster, in 2021 by placing Brees on the reserve/retired list prior to June 2, there would $11.15 in 2021 and $11.5 million in 2022 this way."

If that happens it would make this offseason much easier. I'd feel alot better about retaining one of Hendrickson or Williams. Maybe even both. Though I have a feeling Hendrickson may be too rich for them regardless of cap restraints.

I don't think cutting Jenkins is necessary at all. His contract looks set up for a restructure and he's earned it. That would save us 5 mil this year instead of the 7 for cutting him.

I only anticipate cutting Kwon and Easton. Especially if Brees does what they mentioned. Maybe if they want to get crazy in FAs they'll make some cuts.

I thinks it’s entirely possible... almost likely... that the Saints could select a LT to groom behind Armstead next year, in the first 3 rounds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom