Potential contract ramifications will have no impact on how Saints use TE Jimmy Graham - MERGED (1 Viewer)

you all seriously think they'll not play jimmy graham at WR to save money? are you all really that dumb?

cant blame a guy who produced more than our wide-outs. you absolutely have to pay this man or he will walk in time. He knows that he is top 2 in the league and I see at least 27 teams really throwing hooks at him if he hits free agency. we just can't lose this type of talent no matter what. he will be the 3rd Saints hall of famer after Drew gets in.

Counting Wille Roaf Drew will be 3rd, RJ was first "hometown"

There has been a discussion on the topic of players called TE but performing the role of WR for a while now. There seems to be a consensus that the role of TE has changed from what a TE used to be to what it is now, and that the clubs have the advantage because they can simply say the role of the TE has changed. There has also been speculation that a TE will take whatever steps are available to challenge him being considered a TE, even though he is called a TE but does what WRs do. PFT speculated that Jared Cook could have been that guy this year, but so far nothing has come from it. Personally, I see both sides and I tend to lean towards the club side on this issue. But I don't know what Jimmy Graham is worried about, if he is. He's going to get something close to what Gronkowski got and that should be plenty enough for anybody.

These tightends arguing they are wide recievers and should be paid as such are kidding themselves...

I love Graham...but he shouldn't make as much as Gronkowski. Gronkowski is a much more well rounded player and put up the greatest season of all-time receiving for TE. Considering inflation and a bump in salary cap...I think that he could earn as much as Gronkowski if not very slightly more. But he does not deserve significantly more than Gronkowski...I think that even the biggest Saints homer would agree with that.

Graham will be a Saint for at least the next two years with or without a new contract. And he is a TE, sorry agent.

Graham is under contract this year and then next year we can tag him as a RFA.

So we have two years to figure this out and make it work with the cap. It'll get done.

You can also franchise tag a TE for less then 7 million a year while a WR is almost 11 million a year (that'll go up but it'll still be less then top WR money). We have a ton of options.

Incorrect. 2013 is his las year under contract. He Will be an UFA, not a RFA.

Graham will be a Saint for at least the next two years with or without a new contract. And he is a TE, sorry agent.

He will win a grievance if he plays more than half his snaps from the slot. The one thing the players actually did well in CBA.

Incorrect. 2013 is his las year under contract. He Will be an UFA, not a RFA.

Nevermind, I forgot we signed him to a four year deal.

That negates the ability to tag him as a RFA like most rookies who are coming off a three year deal.

Either way, we have the franchise tag. Use it if we have to I say.

I love Graham...but he shouldn't make as much as Gronkowski. Gronkowski is a much more well rounded player and put up the greatest season of all-time receiving for TE. Considering inflation and a bump in salary cap...I think that he could earn as much as Gronkowski if not very slightly more. But he does not deserve significantly more than Gronkowski...I think that even the biggest Saints homer would agree with that.

Jimmy also had the greatest season all-time receiving for a TE that year, only to have his record broken 15 minutes later by Gronk. I would be surprised if he doesn't get very close to or the same money as Gronk.

Loomis and company have almost a year to worry about this. A lot can be done between then and now. Players cut, players signed, contracts renegotiated and reduced contracts expiating. I for one am glad coaches don't think about players upcoming contracts during a game to decide how to use that player. How stupid would that be. Its a no DUH. I know its a slow time this future is a long way off.

Let's just hope his hands heal up between now n then. Jimmy dropped a bunch of easy passes this season. 9 million dollar TE's don't do that!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

He will win a grievance if he plays more than half his snaps from the slot. The one thing the players actually did well in CBA.

You've said that before. On what are you basing that opinion? The rule that determines the tag amount for a player simply states "[T]he tender will apply to the position in which the player participated in the most plays." I could not find anything in the CBA that defines how you determine what position a player played. A lack of such a definition in the CBA would allow room for interpretation in regards to what position a player actually played.

Cook's agent was making the argument that it should be by alignment, but Cook's agent doesn't get to make that call. A neutral arbitrator would make the decision if Graham were to end up filing a grievance. Arbitrator's have historically ruled in favor of the NFL and team management in instances were there is room for interpretation.

Do you know of a clause in the CBA that clearly defines what position a player played? If so, I'd appreciate it if you let me know where it is.

he shouldn't make as much as Gronkowski [...] he does not deserve significantly more than Gronkowski

I'm sort of confused here. I think he's worth what Gronk is worth, so I disagree with the first assertion...but I would not pay him "significantly more", so I agree with your second assertion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom