Potential Cornerbacks, Quick read (1 Viewer)

matty44c

Rookie
Reaction score
I hpe i am posting this properly with regards to board policy but here is a snipet i found while reading msn.com from the fox sports page. The article is about the combine and is written by by John Czarnecki:

"The asking price for Patriots cornerback Asante Samuel is somewhere between $10 and $11 million per season. The Saints are currently the leader to land Samuel, although that could change. Samuel's price got this high because Atlanta's disgruntled DeAngelo Hall is asking for $10 million. The Giants aren't really interested because they won't pay Hall's price, but there is no doubt Atlanta will trade him for a first-round draft choice."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7837770/Talk-isn't-just-about-college-stars-at-combine

Also a good read give some different views on different players and, might make people happy to see the team might be targeting a high priced free agent, maybe not a fit for our system but hey at least they are looking to better the team. Maybe not my #1 pick but it cant hurt.

We are "the leader" to get everyone who would fill a need for us. FA hasn't even started yet. Theres noway to know we are "the leader" at anything.

And if Hall thinks he is worth 10 million a year, hes smoked a little too much you know what....

We are "the leader" to get everyone who would fill a need for us. FA hasn't even started yet. Theres noway to know we are "the leader" at anything.

And if Hall thinks he is worth 10 million a year, hes smoked a little too much you know what....

tell that to Zach Thomas and the Cowboys

co-sign the second part though

I really don't think Samuel is worth 10-11 per year. He is a product of the Pats system and IMO he will not be as hungry to win the Super Bowl with a fat paycheck and his past success with the Pats. We need to spend that money elsewhere.

I think you misunderstood me.

I was saying that all this "the saints are the leader stuff" is bogus. Everytime someone who would supposedly fill a D need for us comes up we are the leader according to whoever wrote the article. I think people just look at our team and say that without any real proof. Theres noway we are the leader to get Samuel, since hes not even a FA yet and noone has talked contracts with him.

I think the "expert" here just sees the Saints as having a major need at corner plus having the cap space to sign a player like Samuel thus we are currently "the leaders."

If we truely are "leaders" for him in the true sense of the word then we are tampering.

He's Crazy, typical ME player, he's the best in the league, don't believe me... just ask him.

Reminds me of Kellen Winslow, Guy was a top 10 pick, is getting paid a good amount of money already.... Has missed 32 games in 4 years... and is demanding a new deal. Guys like that make me happy we have a GM good with money and a coach that values character.

If your spending like crazy I'd rather Briggs personally. With just some real pressure on the QB we'd have an outstanding defense. Would the Giants defense make you happy? Get the front five to dominate and those corners won't need to be paid 10-11 million dollars.

If your spending like crazy I'd rather Briggs personally. With just some real pressure on the QB we'd have an outstanding defense. Would the Giants defense make you happy? Get the front five to dominate and those corners won't need to be paid 10-11 million dollars.

I agree...I'm not Briggs' biggest fan but if we are going to go crazy and spend a ridiculous amount on a free agent, I would prefer Briggs over Samuels. Samuels is going to command absurd money.

EDIT: I think the safest bet for a big money contract would be G Alan Faneca. I would prefer him over both Briggs and Samuels simply from a value/risk standpoint.

But if we are talking strictly defense, yes I would rather Briggs than Samuels. I think we could do better going middle tier however on defense. Both of these free agents will be overpayed this off-season.

Last edited:
I think a lot of agents are dropping our name because we have a lot of cap space, so it sounds plausible. It's designed to generate interest "Oh no! The Saints are going after him! We better up our offer!".

Whether we're actually connected to Samuel or not, none of us know.

I think you misunderstood me.

I was saying that all this "the saints are the leader stuff" is bogus. Everytime someone who would supposedly fill a D need for us comes up we are the leader according to whoever wrote the article. I think people just look at our team and say that without any real proof. Theres noway we are the leader to get Samuel, since hes not even a FA yet and noone has talked contracts with him.

in the articles i've seen it only says we're interested or we're "probable suitors"... this is my first time ever hearing we're the leaders.. i think the comment in this article though is due to our cap space and our obvious CB needs.. not too many teams have that kind of money to offer and if they do i doubt they are in dire need of a CB like we are

Last edited:

Zach Thomas is a cut player, different than a free agent becuase he is a vetern whom waiver rules dont pertain to and is no longer with the team. Free agents are property of prior team up until free agency begins, giving prior team a chance to resign them. It is against NFL rules for teams to negotiate before free agency begins, but there are ways to be sneaky about it.

I really don't think Samuel is worth 10-11 per year. He is a product of the Pats system and IMO he will not be as hungry to win the Super Bowl with a fat paycheck and his past success with the Pats. We need to spend that money elsewhere.

I don't think Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or any one player is worth that much personally, but you have to pay to play. You can't call Samuel a system CB becuase the Patriots don't really have a system. Their defense is so diverse, and changes so much from week to week, that they almost run a completely different defense every week. The only point I will say that coincides with your thought is that Samuels stregnths are more suited as a zone CB, and we run more of a man to man system.

Lions released CB Fernando Bryant.
He led Detroit with 13 breakups in 2007, but was unhappy there and pushed for his release. With Travis Fisher and Keith Smith unsigned, the Lions are down to one cornerback who played extensively last year, Stanley Wilson.

rotoworld.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom