Potential family crisis (Nephew a Cowgirls fan?) (1 Viewer)

Saint Greg

SR is my life!
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you have heard about the Saints/Cowboys issue up here in NWLA. My entire family is Saints fans. My mom was a Cowboys fan in the 80's but I converted her. My 7 year old nephew has never been a big football fan. The times he has said he was going to watch football with me he usually ends up playing video games instead. The only sports clothing he owns are Saints/LSU/LA Tech. Well recently he got it in his head that he needs to be a fan of both the Saints and Cowboys because he lives in Louisiana and he was born in Texas. I don't know who fed him this nonsense. It wasn't his mom. It's not his father. His father isn't a big sports fan but if you ask him he'll tell you he's a Saints fan even though he's from Texas. It must be a kid or teacher at school. That's all I can think of. Our church had a Saints-Cowboys competition. They sold shirts for both teams and on Sunday everyone wore their shirts. If the Cowboys won the competition the money raised would go to a mission in Dallas. If the Saints won the money would go to a Katrina charity. I don't think they announced the winner yet but I heard they ran out of Saints shirts and twice had to order more. Supposedly they had plenty of Cowboys shirts. My nephew decided he needed both shirts. And apparently on Sunday he decided to wear the Cowboys shirt. My sister is at fault for allowing him to purchase and wear a Cowboys shirt. But my understanding is he was too embarassed to go in on sunday because when he got there all the other kids were wearing Saints shirts. I thought that would be the end of it. Yesterday he showed up in a LSU shirt....Nothing wrong with that. He ended up playing video games instead of watching the game. No surprise there. At halftime my mother and sister decided the game was going to end too late for us to eat. So we were going to eat in the living room during the 2nd half. My nephew begins cheering for the Cowboys! I don't know if he was just trying to get under my skin or what but it worked. I almost had to leave. Unless I'm at a Saints game...I always watch the Saints alone...He went back to playing video games after we stripped Williams, but this is still bothering me. My nephew has a problem and needs help. What should I do?

He has a serious case of "Bandwagonitus" that is very common in N. Louisiana. They don't have a true identity of their own that they wish to grab hold of. The "Texas and cowgirl love" up there makes them a very ill group. They should have supported the Saints from day one but cheering for a winner is always easier for the weak minded. I will also say the same about their sudden 8-10 year new found love of lsu. They have LaTech and yet their recent worship at the tiger alter has interestingly the same symptoms. Bizarre! But a longterm case of "bandwagonitus" is hard to get rid of. There are no antibiotics that will kill it. It's a character flaw that only leaves the body and mind when the true team they should be supporting and cheering for wins and wins over a period of time. Buy him tons of Saints garb and highlight videos along with the 2009 Superbowl CD. And good luck!

Oh, and when all else fails tell him there will be no rich uncle leaving him any coin in the future if he keeps it up.

Wow! that there is a bunch of words!

Take him to the Superdome for a game. After the first Who dat chant, he'll forget who the Cowboys are.

well how old is he? case in point he's a kid following the other kids.

My five year old nephew told me that he liked the Cowboys after I said we couldn't stop for pizza. He mumbled it under his breath, "That's why I don't like the Saints, I like the Cowboys" I pulled the car over and threatened to make him walk home. My mom joined in on the joke and told him to wait inside the store and she'd come back and look for him. Needless to say he began crying, ran after me with a mop when we got home and told my brother that I was rude to him (the hardest part was trying to explain to my brother why I needed to do this - he didn't see it the way I did lol). BUT.... It worked.

He has never made the mistake of threatening me with his false adoration of the Cowboys ever again. In fact, he draws fleur de lis on a regular basis and gives them to me as presents. My suggestion to you is to try some tough love, threats, whatever it takes. But nip it in the bud while he's young. You don't want this affliction carrying over into adulthood, knowing you could've helped him when you had the chance. You'll never forgive yourself.

That type of treason can not be forgiven you must kick him out of the family to restore order.

"I'll bet you're gonna take off that cowgirl shirt once you get into Saints territory, aintcha? Well now... I'm gonna give you somethin you cain't take off..."

Beat the Cowboy fan out of him.

A sack of oranges. Hurts pretty bad but doesn't bruise.

I can't really discipline him since he isn't my kid.

the answer is to go outside and throw the football with him

I've gotten him to a few times but he usually wants to play hockey instead.

Take him to the Superdome for a game. After the first Who dat chant, he'll forget who the Cowboys are.

I was trying to get him to the Seahawks game since it fell during his thanksgiving break but my mom ended up having knee replacement surgery the week prior so leaving town didn't seem like a good move. Hopefully I'll get him there at some point.

Time to break the bad news to him. Santa Claus only likes saints fans.

I tried telling him he was going to get a lump of coal for christmas but my mom didn't like that.

"I'll bet you're gonna take off that cowgirl shirt once you get into Saints territory, aintcha? Well now... I'm gonna give you somethin you cain't take off..."

I haven't seen the shirt. But if I ever do I'll have a new rag for washing my truck...that's for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom